Catylitic Converter - Emissions Testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
gregghealy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catylitic Converter - Emissions Testing

Will a bad converter contribute to high testing numbers on a smog check?

I have nicely tan plugs, doesnt really smoke or burn oil that I can see, just curious cause my numbers were high on the engine running portion of the test. It passed, but some of the numbers were high.

Failed the EVAP part of the test cause I forgot to put the hose clamp on the fuel fill hose. DOH! Found some rotted hoses and replaced them as well...

Im wondering if I can pull previous year records on the smog test numbers from CA DMV? It would be nice to see how the numbers now compare historically for this truck. Probably track the history of the health of the motor, or be able to tell what year it may have been overhauled/replaced by seeing the previous year numbers.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,292 Posts
The cat primarily takes care of the CO. It also burns off some HC.

If your engine is running right, and the tan plugs sound good, you won't have extra HC to deal with.

Post your numbers. I think I have some old tests that show numbers for a couple different engines from widely varying years to give you some bench marks.

According to my smog guy, the best thing for the cat is to run it on a long trip, high speed or out of OD to keep it a operating temp. and run a lot of volume through it. This "burns off" and "blows out" any crud accumulated during short trips.