Mike F250
Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
stroken7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by JonathanN
The guys think I'm nuts, but if you do get this motor, check for PMR's and if it has them, swap in some forged rods while you've got it out. I think all you need is the rods and the bearings for the rods. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys...

IIRC, you should have the rotating assembly rebalanced, pistons, rods crank. It has been done without doing that but it would be good insurance.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stroken7.3
IIRC, you should have the rotating assembly rebalanced, pistons, rods crank. It has been done without doing that but it would be good insurance.
Now, this is where I'm ignorant... I never have, but always wanted to build a motor. I had seen something somewhere about balancing the rods, but I just assumed it was "performance-related". I learn something new everyday! Haha... just "swap them over". Sounds good anyways!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM
cavitation
Senior User
Since you already are familiar with the hugh value that comes with the Cummins motor in your other truck, I would go Cummins without a doubt. Like you said about crunching the numbers, it may not be cost effective at first glance but that will also be determined by your plan for the truck and how long you will keep it. If I was in your shoes with a blown motor, was committed to the truck long term, had the cash, Cummins would be the only route I would go.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
I chose PSD over cummins when my motor broke. I love my truck, 7.3 'issues' and all.

Btw, nuthin wrong with PMR's unless ya want big power.

Longblock $4500 from ford. Bolt up and drive away. (not like cummins swap which usually takes months)

Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
PaulDH
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cavitation
Since you already are familiar with the hugh value that comes with the Cummins motor in your other truck, I would go Cummins without a doubt. Like you said about crunching the numbers, it may not be cost effective at first glance but that will also be determined by your plan for the truck and how long you will keep it. If I was in your shoes with a blown motor, was committed to the truck long term, had the cash, Cummins would be the only route I would go.
Would it ever be cost effective? Wouldn't the cost of the Cummins and all of the ancillary equipment and items required to mate it into the Ford Super Duty greatly exceed the valued of the existing truck?

My experience has been these deals are never cost effective. Doesn't mean I never follow through with them. Just that a cost analysis comparison generally never justifies such a conversion.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
Swapping a cummins doesn't have to be an expensive proposition. I did all of the work on my 77 and kept my total conversion costs right around $2,000, motor included. I kept it low by keeping the dodge manual trans, buying a complete dodge donor and parting it out.

The cost of a swap sky rockets when you start mating different makes of transmissions and buying every part produced for a swap. In the case of my 77 no one makes motor mounts for them, so with $3 worth of 1/4 scrap steel and three hours with a welder and plasma cutter I made my mounts.

I appreciate the links for the engines looks like there are a few deals out there.

I do have another question. I thought pmr's were ok until you were flirting with the 500 hp range? I know I was nowhere near that unless I'm the first powerstroke owner to hit that mark with stock hpop, injectors and turbo. So in my opinion something else went wrong whether it is mechanical or electronic I'm still trying to determine. I'm going to pull the intake tube tomorrow to see what my compressor wheel looks like.

I've had a few offers for my trans ,which has a mild build an only 50k on it, that would pay for half of a rusted out dodge with a good motor and trans.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:46 PM
novice psd
Senior User
Originally Posted by JonathanN
Being an '01, you might have the infamous powdered metal connecting rods that the '01's and up came with. The earlier 7.3L's had forged rods and were basically bomb-proof from what I've read. It seems to be a hit and miss deal with them... some stock motors blow and some ere running 500HP and have yet to die. When and IF you take it apart, it'd be interesting to see if you've got some broken connecting rods.
Not all 2001's had pmr.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wydnr
I do have another question. I thought pmr's were ok until you were flirting with the 500 hp range? I know I was nowhere near that unless I'm the first powerstroke owner to hit that mark with stock hpop, injectors and turbo. So in my opinion something else went wrong whether it is mechanical or electronic I'm still trying to determine. I'm going to pull the intake tube tomorrow to see what my compressor wheel looks like.
You can toss a rod at any HP level. Introduce enough fuel at the wrong time, and watch rods go out the side of the block.

Or manage to find one with a defect, and see the same thing happen.

Tune a bone stock PMR motor wrong, and you can vent blocks at 300 hp. Tune it right, and you can make it survive at 500 hp.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by novice psd
Not all 2001's had pmr.
Right, but the pictures and the holes would've had to have been a rod IMO... I can't think of anything else in the lower end that would do that.

To the OP... supposedly, 400HP is the threshold for PMR's. The thing is, I've heard of stock to mild trucks like yours blowing up and then I've heard of high-HP PMR motors like izzy351's that have yet to blow... the tuning has a lot to do with it, if not most of it. Cylinder pressures, which can be affected the by tuning (both negatively and positively), seem to be (from what I can tell) what really make or break the PMR's.

*EDIT* I basically restated what Curtis just said... he just beat me to it.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I chose PSD over cummins when my motor broke. I love my truck, 7.3 'issues' and all.

Btw, nuthin wrong with PMR's unless ya want big power.

Longblock $4500 from ford. Bolt up and drive away. (not like cummins swap which usually takes months)
Dang for $4500 I'd have a sweet super duty with a cummins.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 4wydnr
Dang for $4500 I'd have a sweet super duty with a cummins.
You know, I always thought it'd be sweet to do a swap... I was looking into it and for my truck, it would work out pretty good. With an adapter plate and a 6.0L starter, I could bolt a 24V right up to my trans without even having to shove the transmission back. I think I could even buy brackets if I wanted to! The only reason I really don't want to do it is because I'm almost positive I'd be so picky about the swap that I'd drive myself insane trying to make EVERYTHING work just like it did when the 7.3L was in it. I've still got alot more research to do about it, though... I'm sure it can be done, I just don't know how at the moment.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Lstanley
Junior User
As far as I'm concerned a 7.3 is just as dependable as a 5.9. Now If I had a 6.0 or 6.4 go on me then I would swap out to a cummins.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lstanley
As far as I'm concerned a 7.3 is just as dependable as a 5.9. Now If I had a 6.0 or 6.4 go on me then I would swap out to a cummins.
See my signature... I have to agree with you.

My Dad has a 6.4L... apart from the emissions components making for an almost constant CEL being on, it's not a bad truck. It's got over 80K and so far, nothing major has gone wrong... it was the same way with my uncle's 6.0L, though. It's a nightmare now, but up to about 100K, it was pretty decent. The real deal breaker is gonna be how the truck does after 100K and if it can make it to 200K without major problems. It'll be interesting... I've set the standard in my family as to what reliability is. 303K and I can't complain!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Lstanley
Junior User
Yeah my dad has a 05 6.0 . It's got about 85000 miles on it and he has spent 10 grand on it already. I wouldn't touch a 6.0 or 6.4 with a 10 foot pole. Hopefully this new 6.7 is better.

Quick Reply: Why did my motor blow?