6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0L Sucks on Fuel Milage

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and when you have checked out the Tech Folder you can send a message to Bismic who will email a pair of spreadsheet covering everything he has gathered on 6.0s. That should keep you busy for a while!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ew-owners.html

Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
I called today and made an appointment with the Ford dealership for Friday morning. They're going to take it in and put it on the "machine" to check all the dianostics of the truck, and check for any upgrades for the computers. They're also going to replace the fuel filters while its in there. The upgrades helped my friends truck last year after he had them done, so that's what I'm going to try. I will let everyone know if it helps/hurts the truck.

If it does more harm than good, or if it doesn't improve things, then I'm going to sell the truck.

Do I like the truck? Yeah, sure. I've always like the Harley F-250's, and even dreamed about owning one since they were introduced in '05. (Ok I know they had them in '04 too, but I didn't like those as well.) When the oppertunity presented itself for me to buy one, I jumped. But in all honesty, I liked my little '04 Ranger I had before better. Even it didn't get the best gas milage.

The point of the matter is this. I bought this truck so I could tow my show truck to car/truck shows and other events that were long distances away. If it's only getting 13 mpg's now without a trailer in tow, what will the milage be with one? And if I'm going to own a truck that gets bad milage while towing, I might as well buy an F-150. It would do the same job, plus maybe get a little better mpg's around town, and would be cheaper to maintain. Plus gas is about 30 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel where I live, so I'm paying more to fuel up than I would with a gas truck.

There has been some mention of people using fuel additives and "boosters" here, but I talked to my friend today, he doesn't use any of them in his truck. Neither does my co-worker who has a 2001 with a 7.3. I even called a guy I know with a 1999 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins in it, and he's never used anything in his truck other than straight from the pump diesel. He did say that his truck ran better, and got better milage before the switch to low-sulfer diesel, but not by much.

As I said, had it not been for the fact that I drove my friends F-250, and got good milage on it, plus heard all the talk over the years of how great diesels were on fuel, esspecially while towing, I wouldn't have bothered buying one myself. But I got tired of borrowing his truck everytime I needed to move mine from the body shop, or go pick up something big for it, and since I knew my plan was to take my project truck to shows when I got it done, I didn't want to continually ask him to borrow his.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Brute
The point of the matter is this. I bought this truck so I could tow my show truck to car/truck shows and other events that were long distances away. If it's only getting 13 mpg's now without a trailer in tow, what will the milage be with one? And if I'm going to own a truck that gets bad milage while towing, I might as well buy an F-150. It would do the same job, plus maybe get a little better mpg's around town, and would be cheaper to maintain. Plus gas is about 30 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel where I live, so I'm paying more to fuel up than I would with a gas truck.
1. With the F250 6.0 PSD you probably will not even feel the trailer behind you. You will with the F150.
2. You may get the same mileage with or without the trailer.
3. The Cetane Booster can make it run better, but no guarantees!

Good luck with your appointment, hope they find something that will help.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by XB70
I continue to be amused by "Why is my mileage so crappy?" threads.

Reasons:

1. Driver. Swap trucks with your friend and he will get better mileage in your truck. Drive his truck, and your mileage will suck.

2. Ignorance. A lot of energy is expended by pushing air out of your truck's way. In fact, the coefficient of drag squares with doubling of speed. Just an extra 5 mph on the highway sucks a disproportionate amount of fuel. At 46 MPH on a empty two lane road, my truck got 24.8 MPG - that's hand calculated. Aerodynamic drag is MUCH lower than 65, the transmission is in 5th gear, and the engine's torque can move the truck at not much more than an up idle.

3. Compare apples to apples. I have a 2005 XL Regular Cab Powerstroke FX4. It weighs 7,280 lbs. with a Snug Top camper shell, grill guard, Hella 4000 lights and 3/4 of a tank of fuel. My friend has a 2006 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 that weighs over a thousand more pounds loaded with a bunch of stuff he should clean out of the truck. He drives with a lead foot and can easily average less than 10MPG city/highway. If the cops catch him, he could average 6 - 12 months in jail.

4 More ignorance. Terrain and wind makes a huge difference in mileage

Like he said its how you drive, your EGR system or fuel filters could affect your milage, and probably are. As stated in an above post, CHANGE ALL FLUIDS AND FILTERS, its worth it in the long run.

To compare i took a 600 mile each way trip to georgia over summer, it was almost 1300 total when i got back, my truck on the highway averaged about 17.4 mpg, thats with 35's, leveling kit, fourwheeler, 5 people, and 5 peoples luggage in the bed. so id say my truck weighed in at 10000 pounds or so

Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As another comparison my truck got 10 mpg towing 10000 pounds today, not to bad considering its configurations, i didnt buy a truck to get good mpgs. It was my 05 btw

Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
Originally Posted by lakewood
To compare i took a 600 mile each way trip to georgia over summer, it was almost 1300 total when i got back, my truck on the highway averaged about 17.4 mpg, thats with 35's, leveling kit, fourwheeler, 5 people, and 5 peoples luggage in the bed. so id say my truck weighed in at 10000 pounds or so
So you're saying that your lifted and loaded truck got 17.4 mpg, while my unlaiden truck got 13.4? Again you have helped to prove my point that there is something up with my truck. I'd say there was only 400 lbs. of weight in my truck, including me, at the most.

Oh and it was mentioned above that the milage might not change while towing a trailer. Show me an instance where towing a car trailer with a heavy truck loaded on it hasn't dropped fuel milage. I don't care if it's a Powerstroke Diesel, or a Triton V8, that's going make the truck pulling the trailer pull harder on the engine which in turn will suck more fuel.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
Oh and it was mentioned above that the milage might not change while towing a trailer. Show me an instance where towing a car trailer with a heavy truck loaded on it hasn't dropped fuel milage. I don't care if it's a Powerstroke Diesel, or a Triton V8, that's going make the truck pulling the trailer pull harder on the engine which in turn will suck more fuel.
OK, maybe I should have said similar mileage. I know several people who believe that the trailer really doesn't make much difference. You have a heavy medium duty truck pushing a lot of air down the highway. Once you are rolling the air drag is the major load.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Gental Ben 2
Senior User
So you're saying that your lifted and loaded truck got 17.4 mpg, while my unlaiden truck got 13.4? Again you have helped to prove my point that there is something up with my truck. I'd say there was only 400 lbs. of weight in my truck, including me, at the most.

Keep in mind that if you tow a car trailer with a gaser you will getting 40-50% worse mileage than unloaded; diesels are more efficient towers-it's psychics!
To swap out your 6.0l truck and get a big gas V-8 you will be lucky to pull in the double digits. My 2wd 351w got 11 unloaded & 9,8,7 pulling various loads.
There are many gas trucks for sale & the sellers lie through their teeth when you ask about the mileage they get.
Gas trucks depreciate like a rock and diesels hold their value because they get 2x the mileage.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 AM
scrdanis
Senior User
That is the difference! Your hubs are locked all the time and he unlocks his when not using 4-wheeled drive. If he drove around with his hubs locked, not running in 4 x 4, he would get reduced MPG as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scrdanis
That is the difference! Your hubs are locked all the time and he unlocks his when not using 4-wheeled drive. If he drove around with his hubs locked, not running in 4 x 4, he would get reduced MPG as well.

Auto locking hubs are not locked in unless you decide to manually lock them in. They lock in automatically when called for by vacuum.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If it makes you feel better a coworker recently bought an 05 Duramax CC 4X4 with the Allison to replace his 05 1/2 ton Silverado. His Duramax does no better than 15 mpg highway. His last tank was 13.06. Since he bought it, he added 285's and a Diablo programmer on the lowest setting to ensure speedo is correct and attempt to improve fuel mileage. It stayed the same. He does not hot rod the truck as it has to last him. Summer time fuel will likely net him mid to upper teens, so he is patiently waiting.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
My '06 got 14.4 on my last trip to virginia... I was hoping for 16+ but it didnt happen. Its bone stock and has stock tires on it with proper inflation. I get 9-10 in the city. But i usually get worse with my gasser so i bought the diesel to get slightly better MPG and an all around more comfortable ride that can seat 5 people comfortably. Can also tow about 2x the weight safely.

I'll be watching this thread as well to pick up some information as this is my first CC diesel as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM
mblanken881
Elder User
Originally Posted by tankd72
This is what I have found out that has alot to do with mileage issue's
I have a 2004 6.0 71k. It is lifted with 35's and a cat back exhaust on it.
I did the lift and exhaust 2 days after buying the truck so basically since the showroom floor. After the 1st month I had the check engine light turning on and had multiple EGR valve replacements done up until 2008 then that was not a problem anymore Ford must have fixed the issue?
Well after talking to a Ford diesel tech at my friends superbowl party I complained on how my mileage is crap. Come to find out every time the truck woild go in the dealership would have to flash an "new program" from Ford on to the truck computer. This was to help resolve the EGR failures it also changes tons of the paramiters of injection pressures and timing of injection. These new progams in order to save Ford from the EGR battles.
The downside was both loss of mileage and power from the stock original settings. I was getting 19-20MPG and after all of the re-flashes I get 8-10mpg. I use the grey diesel kleen fuel addative all of the time and do oil changes every 3000miles fuel filters every 3000miles. Air filter after 5000miles using the stock filters on everything. The Ford tech guy said that the re-flashes were both to fix EGR problems and also in order for Ford to keep meeting EPA guidlines to reduce emissions. The downside is bad mileage. Tech guy suggested that since I am out of warranty is to contact SCT apparently they have a program that is near exactly like the original Ford program and has the ability to allow you to un plug your EGR without it throwing a code and check engine light coming on. Then I could get my mileage back and get the original power back that was from the showroom floor. I am not a fan of using the performance or hot rod type of programs just the stock "original" type of program that came on the truck new.
I called SCT on this today. They seemed to know nothing about it. All they could tell me was that all their tuners have an economy mode for fuel mileage. Is their a certain person to call?

If this statement is true, it would be worth it to give it a try.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:01 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
I just bought my first diesel truck back in November. It's a 2005 F-250 with the 6.0L and the 5 spd torq-shift automatic tranny. Last weekend I drove the truck to South Carolina, about a 600 mile round trip from where I live. On the trip the truck only got 13 mpg! I wasn't towing a trailer and the truck was empty except for me and my suitcase. It's not loaded up with mods or anything, it's completly stock power wise. I'm extremely dissapointed, esspecially since a friend of mine has a 2006 F-250 identical to mine and he gets up to 21 mpg on his. Can someone tell me what can be done to improve my mileage? I'm not a lead-footed driver, and the trip was done with almost all interstate and highway driving, very little driving on backroads or stop and go. If this is the best the truck will get, I'm going to sell it and buy a F-150!

Take care of your truck. Change your driving habbits.
How many miles?

Get custom tunes.
egr delete.
synthetics, 30W for the engine
FICM tune
Muffler delete and cat delete. This will keep your low end TQ, that is where the mpg is.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Have you checked to make sure you don't have a brake or e-brake hanging up? Check to be sure the the front axle is actually disconnecting when it's not in 4x4. Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing or something. I'd look for something simple like that.

Mike

Quick Reply: 6.0L Sucks on Fuel Milage