2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Spacer Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
05truckguy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Throttle Body Spacer Help

Truck 2005 F-150 5.4L

Alright.....This was supposed to be idiot proof but then again to my credit the directions are terrible.

-The issue i'm having is the removal of the air intake that leads into the throttle body itself. I have every bolt and connection piece unbolted and taken off leading up to the last piece where it connects to the throttle body. Does anyone know how to get this last piece off so I can disconnect the air intake and actually GET to the throttle body?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 05truckguy
Truck 2005 F-150 5.4L

Alright.....This was supposed to be idiot proof but then again to my credit the directions are terrible.

-The issue i'm having is the removal of the air intake that leads into the throttle body itself. I have every bolt and connection piece unbolted and taken off leading up to the last piece where it connects to the throttle body. Does anyone know how to get this last piece off so I can disconnect the air intake and actually GET to the throttle body?

Thanks
There is just a big "O" ring holding it onto the throttle body,..pull up while twisting .......

Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 AM
05truckguy
Freshman User
thanks, see it's a brand new truck and the last thing I usually resort to is pulling and twisting of any parts.....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I probably don't understand what you're asking so I gotta ask.

Did you really buy an after market throttle body spacer for an EFI engine?

Did you Google "throttle body spacer" and "paperweight"?

If you did and it's not too late please save your money and send it back.

If you didn't, please excuse the interruption.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
05truckguy
Freshman User
That's a fair question considering how many unhappy customers there are who have ordered these products....

Let's look at the basic idea of the air/fuel ratio in conjunction with combustion rate. The more air coming in and the faster it comes in the more power is generated and the combustion rate is higher.

With a throttle body spacer it's no secret that your truck or car won't gain 50 hp or 10 mpg but what it does offer is an increase in lower end torque and maybe 2mpg better than before.

If a throttle body spacer is irrelevant than shouldn't a K&N air intake as well? According to your logic?

The fact is that an air intake allows more air into your vehicle than previously. Also, throttle body intakes speed up the air going into the fuel mixture thus producing more power. Now this is not personal opinion, these are dyno proven facts.

Now, the main issue is for 100 dollars could I have gotten a different product that could have given me bigger gains? Probably....But, that's where peoples dissatisfaction comes, because they expect these HUGE gains from a 100 dollar product.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You're on the money about the aftermarket intake. It will provide little to no gains (aside from noise) without a new MAF and custom tunes from a programmer to show any benefit from the $$$ spent. And while you're at it, you might as well add headers, remove a cat, and go full out on the exhaust.
So in addition to your TBS, you've hypothetically just spent $1500-$2000 to free up maybe 30hp?

The TBS is not going to provide much gain at all, if any, in a fuel injected engine. Carbureted is another story though.

Your best and most economical option to unleash any noticeable hp and torque and improved driveability would be to pony up for a programmer with custom tunes. It's been discussed on this forum more times than I wish to count.
Don't believe me? Use the search function to search for "TBS" "CAI" etc.

Have you put your truck on the dyno stock? (before the TBS?)
Will you put your truck on the dyno after the TBS?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05truckguy
That's a fair question considering how many unhappy customers there are who have ordered these products....

Let's look at the basic idea of the air/fuel ratio in conjunction with combustion rate. The more air coming in and the faster it comes in the more power is generated and the combustion rate is higher.

Really? I guess stoich AFR means nothing.

With a throttle body spacer it's no secret that your truck or car won't gain 50 hp or 10 mpg but what it does offer is an increase in lower end torque and maybe 2mpg better than before.

Please explain how increasing the space between the intake and throttle body is going to increase your lower end torque.

2MPG (12.5%) gain? Sorry, but if that were true there would be 1) one standard on every truck built and 2) a lot more satisfied TBS owners with real evidence (mileage logs) to prove it.

If a throttle body spacer is irrelevant than shouldn't a K&N air intake as well? According to your logic?

The fact is that an air intake allows more air into your vehicle than previously. Also, throttle body intakes speed up the air going into the fuel mixture thus producing more power. Now this is not personal opinion, these are dyno proven facts.

I suggest you look at the dyno sheets. They are irrelevant without a custom tune to account for the increased air flow at 4500+ RPMs. Again - think about stoich AFR...

There are plenty of dissatisfied warmer-air-than-stock-under-the-hood-bling-intake owners too.

Now, the main issue is for 100 dollars could I have gotten a different product that could have given me bigger gains? Probably....But, that's where peoples dissatisfaction comes, because they expect these HUGE gains from a 100 dollar product.
I've found ONE owner that said he was satisfied with the TBS (there's an old thread on this board somewhere), but he never did provide ANY evidence to substantiate his supposed gains (5 MPG) and much better throttle response.

Great discussion though.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Well said Charlie...again

Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
ojai150
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Well,....I can attest,..that if I had a brand new 5.4, I wouldn't do ANY modifications to it,....once you start altering things,..and the engine doesn't run like it did,..you have no idea where to start.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
05truckguy
Freshman User
In regards to stoich AFR, whose to say that the maximum ratio is met with the stock setup? If the maximum stoichometric pressure is met, which you are implying, than you are correct.....But If that were the case than any air intakes would be pointless since adding more air would have no effect if the fuel was burning at it's maximum rate....using your logic that the air to fuel ratio is already at its peak. Therefore leaving that idea wrong.

Next, It's not increasing the spacing between the throttle body and the intake that gives you the lower end torque gains it's the grooves or "helix-bore" that makes the air spin faster going INTO the throttle body itself. The "spacer" term is not what creates more air, that would do nothing but delay the air getting into the throttle body. It is the speeding up process of the air inside the spacer that gives more power.

And are you really saying that everything that is made stock on our vehicles is the best it can be? The air intake on my F-150 robs me of hp so why doesn't Ford put them stock in all of their vehicles. The issue there is $$$ There wouldn't be an aftermarket company in existence if this were the case.

I'm simply trying to get better gains on my engine. I completely agree that a tuner or programmer is needed after these parts are installed to obtain maximum achievements. In no way am I claiming that this product will enhance my trucks performance dramatically but answer me this.....How is it possible to increase the rate of air flow and combustion and not generate more power? Stoich Pressure? No, if that were the case than the addition of an air intake is pointless because you have reached a maximum output potential, therefore nothing you could do would generate more power.

I would love to know anything I can do to make my truck run with more power, efficiency, and reduce gas mileage and any helpful knowledge is appreciated. this being said I have spoken to people who have used TBS and were very pleased and in understanding the science behind them I believe that it is impossible to not achieve something. Overall the question is will it hurt my truck? Will I not see any gains? I think that answer is no, but will gladly dyno my truck pre TBS and post TBS and report back..

Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Wouldn't a Tornado be even better? After all it's BEFORE the MAF. That air will really be spinnin' when it hits the MCV (and stops spinning BTW). But at least the MAF can register the increased air as it passes the MAF. (I doubt it would do any good to go into a discussion about open and closed loop, so I won't bother.)

As a side note, here's the list of gas saving devices the EPA has tested over the years: Gas Saving and Emission Reduction Devices Evaluation | Cars and Light Trucks | US EPA

At least you are attempting to research and understand how they are SUPPOSED to work. I think, however, you are confusing the science with the marketing.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8918330

If you want to **** away money on a fancy paperweight, go for it. But before you do, please PM or e-mail Mike Butler (fordmdb) of 5Startuning.com or Justin at VMPtuning.com or maybe even Mike Troyer at Troyer Performance and ask for their input on the value of the TBS and warmer-air-than-stock-under-the-hood-bling-intakes on a 5.4L engine.

Good luck! I'd love to see those dyno charts when you're done.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Damn - you can type faster than me!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Ha! A lot less to type, with a small Google search thrown in there.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:57 PM
05truckguy
Freshman User

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer Help