1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

22.5" 5 lug single piece wheel pictures and info

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Grigg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22.5" 5 lug single piece wheel pictures and info

Seems a lot of folks are looking for these wheels as an alternative to 20" lock ring and widow maker wheels, so thought I'd share some pictures of them to help in your searches. Also look on Dodge trucks, and I believe some International Harvester trucks as well.

And luckily enough I have some available but don't expect to for long, check here

Also, here's a cross section of a 20" Firestone RH5* rim, the one kind of "split rim" that deserves the widow maker nickname.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Those look nice, I picked up 6 of these last year with good tires, plus 2 other 20" lockrings with ok tires for 300. going to put them on my 38 Ford COE firetruck someday. I'm sure someone can use your tires/wheels

Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Grigg
Junior User
Nice! you found a good deal there.
Thanks for the picture,

Grigg

Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy Grigg!

Those are NICE! I wish Iived closer!

If a buyer were to take them to Les Schwab Tires and buy tires, for an additional (rather nominal amount) they would blast and powder-coat them to a color of your choice!! I wouldn't doubt that other tire places have a similar deal......

They did (blast/powder-coat) my (6) 20" (rebuilt) lock-rings for an additional $22.50 (ea) because I bought 2 new TOYO 9.00-20 radials and 4 recapped 9.00-20 (radial) tires

Regards,

Rick

Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Hi Grigg. For guys needing to be rid of their widowmakers these are the best option. I've mentioned these when asked both here and in private emails. But I think it's a shame that sometimes shipping costs get in the way of these wheels getting into the hands that need them. Did your GMC guy, Grigg, get your other set?

I've still got the lock ring 20s I saved from the crusher a year or so ago probably for the same above reason. And just about an hour ago got a phone call from a friend in Oklahoma who was standing in a yard (65° and sunny) looking at a set of 5 x 8" lock ring 20s sitting there, already off the truck, wondering if he should haul them home. I mentioned this thread to him, and I think he decided to leave them sitting right where they are. But he'll know where to go get them if somebody who lives close is interested. Josh Madsen had the same experience with all the lock rings that he saved a while back. Hopefully as spring comes, and guys start back to working on their big trucks, we can find homes for these safer wheels and get a few more widowmakers out of circulation. Stu

Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
fortynineF6
New User
20" lock ring

Hi Stu, I don't know if you remember me, but I had replied a couple times in the past about replacements for my 20" widowmakers. If you still have those 20" lock ring wheels, I would be very interested. I live in Terre Haute, and if I remember, you are located near Springfield, IL. I am not sure whether this is the proper protocol for contactiong you. Please let me know. Thanks.

Randy

Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
I think it's a shame that sometimes shipping costs get in the way of these wheels getting into the hands that need them.

somebody who lives close

Josh Madsen had the same experience with all the lock rings that he saved a while back. Hopefully as spring comes, and guys start back to working on their big trucks, we can find homes for these safer wheels and get a few more widowmakers out of circulation. Stu

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o> I'm still working on my truck, Outside! </o>
I do wish it was a bit warmer! I would be getting more done on the F6 J But, I think it’s a lot warmer here than where most you are back east, lol so I won’t complain too much, almost 60 here today!
And since this is an advertisement for an add I’ll add that I also have 2 20” lockrings with near new tires that I’m probably not going to be using, unless I found 2 more matching treads?? Probably wont happen, they are 6 lug wheels though!
Is this considered a

Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Grigg
Junior User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Hi Grigg. ..Did your GMC guy get your other set?...
Stu
Nope, these are all I have, looks like I do have 8 of them though. My friend in FL with the Dodge hasn't followed through now 4 months later on the two he thought he wanted... I'm tired of waiting and would like to recoup the money I have tied up in these.

Figured it's a good time to offer them as I'm headed on a trip well into Pennsylvania this weekend and if I bring them along it could save someone a lot of shipping.

Grigg

Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by fortynineF6
Hi Stu, I don't know if you remember me, but I had replied a couple times in the past about replacements for my 20" widowmakers. If you still have those 20" lock ring wheels, I would be very interested. I live in Terre Haute, and if I remember, you are located near Springfield, IL. I am not sure whether this is the proper protocol for contactiong you. Please let me know. Thanks.

Randy
Randy - Sure, come get them. All I'd want is what I have in them.

Grigg - I thought I remembered you had two sets. Guess not. That GMC guy won't find a better solution to his problem. Only '40s era GMCs, '50s Studebakers, and '60s era Fords (that I've come across) used hub piloted 5 lug x 8" pattern widowmakers. Converting to stud piloted tubeless 22.5s would have solved it all for him. Stu

Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would have liked to have found a set of 22.5's when I was looking, but I am extremely happy with the set of 19.5's that I got last August'
The rims were all in great shape.

The six tires were a matched set and all like new

At $25 each, yep $150 total for the 6 wheels and tires, I considered it a deal worth making.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM
fortynineF6
New User
Stu, I will need to contact you for directions, (and I can not remember how much you were asking and how many you have), and a good time for me to drive over.

'Randy

Old 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Not sure what it is about all these big truck tires & wheels, but I get a bit short of breath when people start posting pictures and deals on these things! lol

Joe. thats a killer score on those!!! bet that made your day!!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by fortynineF6
Stu, I will need to contact you for directions, (and I can not remember how much you were asking and how many you have), and a good time for me to drive over.

'Randy
Best to just email me. It's stu_sandymcmillan at sbcglobal dot net. Stu

Old 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Not sure what it is about all these big truck tires & wheels, but I get a bit short of breath when people start posting pictures and deals on these things! lol

Joe. thats a killer score on those!!! bet that made your day!!!!
My day? Heck, that made my month. Even after driving 1800 miles round trip, with my gas hog V10 SD and a hotel stay, they wound up costing me about $90 each so I was deeelighted.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Not sure what it is about all these big truck tires & wheels, but I get a bit short of breath when people start posting pictures and deals on these things!

Trust me! If you've ever had to look for wheels and tires for a 5-lugger "Buddy"......

These are a sight for sore eyes!!!

Quick Reply: 22.5" 5 lug single piece wheel pictures and info