1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Motor is in..but..toyota steering gear vs spark plug issues

Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
canadian_diesel1964
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Motor is in..but..toyota steering gear vs spark plug issues

hey all. got the SBC in today BUT....there is maybe 1/2 inch clearance between the last spark plug and the toyota power steering gear...heres a few pics...oh yes the spark plug thats in there is a stubby... any ideas?

Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Almost looks like the engine needs to be offset toward the passenger side just a little. What type of frame mounts do you have? Already welded in place? Good luck.

Paul

Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM
BBKtech2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if you offset the engine/trans an inch to the passenger side you'd fix it. It would require replacing the tube crossmember motor mount with ones that were welded to the side of the frame. Redrill the trans mount first, reposition the engine and fab up some mounts. (or have them made.) Abit of work but really the proper way.
I offset engine/trans in the Volare clipped trucks for steering box/exhaust clearence.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
What's a spark plug? Really, put a diesel in there and you won't have that problem

Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
If the horizontal section of the tube was made longer on the driver side already, before they put the mounts on, this would aid in making the offset work.

But, granted, the engines back in the day were centered, so it's probably not included in the instructions to cut an inch on the passenger side for every two inches on the driver side. I dunno, I never bought one of these.

However, what's done is done, and all I can suggest is, to see if your exhaust will fit. If it does, then it's probably a matter of unbolting the driver side mount, and tilting the engine to reach that spark plug.....kinda like on modern FWD vehicles. (doesn't look like it has to tilt very much, so the tranny mount rubber might provide just enough flex to allow the tilting to work)

Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM
canadian_diesel1964
Senior User
Thanx guys, I was able to use the stubby plug and move the engine over another 3/16"...I have at least 5/8" there now and was able to get a wrench on the plug...the boot for the plug also fits ok now...I was lucky enough to have 3/16 of play between the collars of the crossmember and that saved my butt. another good thing is the auto rotation of the engine turns the right way in this case...problem solved!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
I can show you (sorta) where my spark plug ended up. The engine is out of my truck at the moment. It looks like we have the same mount scheme. It appears my engine may be set back a bit farther than yours. I ended up not using the headers (too close to the Toy Box) but the spark plug did not have clearance issues.

One possibility is to use an eyelet end on that plug wire where you could route to the plug sideways and screw it down with the threaded cap. I had a 51 MG-TD that used that method.

Good Luck

Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, that's 5/8" more than my wife's Blazer allows, lol. Good to hear you had enough adjustment.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 AM
canadian_diesel1964
Senior User
Originally Posted by eman92082
I can show you (sorta) where my spark plug ended up. The engine is out of my truck at the moment. It looks like we have the same mount scheme. It appears my engine may be set back a bit farther than yours. I ended up not using the headers (too close to the Toy Box) but the spark plug did not have clearance issues.

One possibility is to use an eyelet end on that plug wire where you could route to the plug sideways and screw it down with the threaded cap. I had a 51 MG-TD that used that method.

Good Luck
Thats a great idea also...that would allow an extra half an inch too...thank you

Search this Thread