1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

The best thing about an old truck...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 PM
nolan62
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krazeyelf
It's simple to understand and easy to work on and does not require a computer. I don't have to pull half the engine just to replace a key part that should be an easy swap. And the best part--it's paid for.

!!!AMEN!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My '86 does not have a perfect panel on it. And that's OK, cause when I'm on back roads down in Mexico I don't have to worry about rocks or bushwhacking. Just adds character as far as I'm concerned. And if I decide to drill a hole in the dash or in the bed for one purpose or another, "it don't matter" to anyone.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Plus let's not forget all the memories of working on our trucks with our loved ones.

My dad bought what would become my truck way back in ~2003. It was a rainy night. We had a lemon '85 Caddy at the time (which is why my dad bought the truck in the rain at night), and I remember us either being parked in front of the computer shop my dad worked at, or passing by as we went to Walmart across the road, and seeing the shadowy outline of the truck. When he brought home that brown and tan '81 F150, I fell in love with it. I don't know why exactly, but I just really liked that old truck.

It needed a good bit of work....it had worn out tires on it (31s on the back, 235/75s on the front), the 302 had been neglected...the timing was way off, ignition system was wore out, the carb was full of crud, the PCV system was non-functional (we had water in the oil as a result), low on coolant, plus the radio was wired wrong, one of the taillights was busted...the list went on. And let's not forget the maladjusted parking pawl....we had to carry around a little wooden block for a good long time so the truck didn't roll to the other end of the Walmart parking lot. lol

My dad and I got to working on it and fixed alot of those problems. But in 2004 he passed away (he had lung cancer but beat it...still don't know what the cause of his passing was) and left the truck to me. I remember he told me not to make it a hot rod, but to make it into a nice truck.

Since then, that truck has always come through for me and my family. It got my mom to work and got us to church, moved all our stuff from our old dumpy trailer to a nice, big house, got us to Waco I don't know how many times, and so much more. Any time something broke, it was easy to replace in the driveway...I didn't need a degree in aeronautics to change a starter or move 30 tons of junk to replace an alternator.

And now after all the times it's taken care of me, I'm giving it some much-deserved TLC. Fixed the front end bushings, new trans fluid and filter, revamped interior and exterior, plus I'm about to do a tune-up on it and I'm considering some engine upgrades as summer projects (timing set, maybe even a cam and associated parts....gotta do my research) as well as converting to full synthetic trans fluid.

I don't care what anyone says, I would rather have my old truck and be fixing things on it, than trade it in on some new plastic truck that just can't compare.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan
Plus let's not forget all the memories of working on our trucks with our loved ones.

My dad bought what would become my truck way back in ~2003. It was a rainy night. We had a lemon '85 Caddy at the time (which is why my dad bought the truck in the rain at night), and I remember us either being parked in front of the computer shop my dad worked at, or passing by as we went to Walmart across the road, and seeing the shadowy outline of the truck. When he brought home that brown and tan '81 F150, I fell in love with it. I don't know why exactly, but I just really liked that old truck.

It needed a good bit of work....it had worn out tires on it (31s on the back, 235/75s on the front), the 302 had been neglected...the timing was way off, ignition system was wore out, the carb was full of crud, the PCV system was non-functional (we had water in the oil as a result), low on coolant, plus the radio was wired wrong, one of the taillights was busted...the list went on. And let's not forget the maladjusted parking pawl....we had to carry around a little wooden block for a good long time so the truck didn't roll to the other end of the Walmart parking lot. lol

My dad and I got to working on it and fixed alot of those problems. But in 2004 he passed away (he had lung cancer but beat it...still don't know what the cause of his passing was) and left the truck to me. I remember he told me not to make it a hot rod, but to make it into a nice truck.

Since then, that truck has always come through for me and my family. It got my mom to work and got us to church, moved all our stuff from our old dumpy trailer to a nice, big house, got us to Waco I don't know how many times, and so much more. Any time something broke, it was easy to replace in the driveway...I didn't need a degree in aeronautics to change a starter or move 30 tons of junk to replace an alternator.

And now after all the times it's taken care of me, I'm giving it some much-deserved TLC. Fixed the front end bushings, new trans fluid and filter, revamped interior and exterior, plus I'm about to do a tune-up on it and I'm considering some engine upgrades as summer projects (timing set, maybe even a cam and associated parts....gotta do my research) as well as converting to full synthetic trans fluid.

I don't care what anyone says, I would rather have my old truck and be fixing things on it, than trade it in on some new plastic truck that just can't compare.
Amen brother, you can bet that your pa was a damn happy man (as you were) working on that truck with you. There is nothing in the world like working on your own rig from that condition to dang near brand new, especially so with your Pa. I do agree though, I really don't find these new trucks all that appealing. Especially the interiors sure they are nice, but why would I spend a bunch of money just to have a bunch more plastic and be worried about every damn scratch, dent, and mud that I got on the floors on the seats. I looked at a new 2011 Dodge Ram interior, it looks just like a damn car to me. A truck is not what these new trucks are looking like. That being said I know tons of people that buy them.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Thanks man, that made my day.

I will admit the new trucks are nice, but my personal preference is with my older truck. People like to rag on it, but hey, it got me to where they are so they could rag on it in the first place, didn't it??? lol

Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased my truck from my neighbor, which has owned it since 1985.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Shark Racer
Senior User
I purchased mine from a good friend who'd owned it since '05 or so, and bought it off his brother-in-law who bought it in 1989.

I have nearly as much blood-sweat-and-tears in this truck as I do my '78 'vette, which would make it very hard for me to get rid of it. It's also helped me move, twice. Once before I owned it, once after.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan
Thanks man, that made my day.

I will admit the new trucks are nice, but my personal preference is with my older truck. People like to rag on it, but hey, it got me to where they are so they could rag on it in the first place, didn't it??? lol
Exactly, all these additional complications and integrated systems in these trucks are just not my cup of tea. I'm presently driving a 95 Dodge as my dd, and I can say that I would not go much newer than say 03 for a truck or car given a choice.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd have to say that a 1986 is really pushing it!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The best thing about an old truck?

Country girls dig 'em. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten horns honked and girls I don't even know waving and yelling at me out of car/truck windows. Even girls with their own jacked up trucks love my "Old Girl."

Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
frenchy107
Junior User
old trucks are amazing!!!! went off roading with a few friends that had newer jeeps. i smacked a stump pretty hard. they came running up asking if the airbags went off. i started laughing at them!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by dohc_chump
The best thing about an old truck?

Country girls dig 'em. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten horns honked and girls I don't even know waving and yelling at me out of car/truck windows. Even girls with their own jacked up trucks love my "Old Girl."
I think more girls would like my truck if it wasn't brown

Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
The thing I like best about my truck is I don't have to be particularly "careful" with it. Heck, if I have to paint a part for the house, haul something, or saw a board, I just drop the tailgate. Instant sawhorse!

My tailgate is MANY different colours on the inside, and changes monthly. It will never rust from that side, anyway.

It's not pretty, but it's tight. It serves me well.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 PM
scalladaballa
Mountain Pass
The best thing about my truck is when I was 4 years old we bought a brand new 1985 Ford F-150 and traded in an old Jimmy that had kept leaking oil. We have taken the truck cross-country twice and several times to Arizona and New Mexico. It has gone on 4x4 trails (though it is only a 4x2) in the Sierra Nevada for some really nice backpacking trips. It has long since been passed down to me, but I keep her spirit alive...or maybe she keeps mine... but in any case; I love my truck. Shes trusted, reliable, and just looks great!

Now the question is...when I get a son/daughter of my own...do I pass her down to him/her or just asked to be buried in it when its my time? Decisions, decisions...

Old 03-12-2011, 06:13 AM
nwrednk
Junior User
old fords?

I doubt that mine will "outlive me" like the several dogs I have painfully
outlived... But, my old beast "still gets the job done"!!!

Quick Reply: The best thing about an old truck...