1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

question on 292 y block

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
fordmanforlife246
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on 292 y block

hey i gotta a question for you guys on my 292. ive been doin some research on it and have been hearing that its common with these engines to have oiling problems. others have said this is not a problem now with modern oil technoligy. is this the case? tell me what you know. thanks alot

Old 02-13-2011, 06:21 PM
63' f100
Elder User
I've heard/read the same thing. I've also read that with modern oil it isn't a problem. I believe the problem was that when the engine is cold it doesn't get oil to the top side very well, but with modern oil it isn't a problem. You'd best wait for someone with more knowledge/experience to confirm this though.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:51 PM
patmedic
Senior User
What I have read also is that some do have a oiling problem but it depends what year 292 or what y block you have. Try going to Y-Blocksforever forum and Y-Block Info. page and FORD Y I learned a lot at these sites. and don't forget the y-block section here is great also. Some y-blocks you put external oilers to the valve train. Some have grooved cam bearings some have crossed drilled cams. Two different oil pumps are available. These are the things I have learned in the short time I have had my 292.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
kjvforme
Postmaster
Ok her you go take a look under the tech tips section under rocker assy
Y-Block Guy

Hope this answers your question.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 PM
patmedic
Senior User
kjvforme WOW great site I have not seen that one yet thanks.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
The problem is that the passage to the rocker arms can become blocked. Sometimes the blockage can be cleared. If it's an old engine that has not been rebuilt recently, it is a valid concern. A fresh rebuild will not have this problem and should not develop it. The main thing is to use a grooved cam and ensure that the groove is adequately deep, about .060".
It's easy to check to see if yours has this problem. Pull the valve covers, if your rockers are dry, it's blocked. The passenger side tends to go first.
If there is no oil simply because it is cold, you have other problems that are not limited to the Y-block.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
64fordf100292
Tuned
ok. when our trucks were new, they didnt have these detergent oils we got now. they had parafin based oils that sludged up very easily which in turn plugged up small passages such as the oil passage going to the top end. now, if your engine has never been rebuild, you might have a plugged oil passage. do as others have said and pull your valve cover and run it and see if your getting oil to your rockers. If you are, then i would think you would be ok. If you arent, I beleive the only way to fix it is to tear the top end down and clean the passage in the block. Now, I've had ol' timers tell me of a trick to clean the oiling system up. it invovled draining the oil. putting in a gallon of deisel fuel and new filter and running it till oil pressure drops. drain it and let it drain overnight. then fill her back up with fresh oil and replace the oil filter. that's all i know.

also, make sure you run a diesel based engine oil or a racing oil. It has the higher zinc contenet to help prevent wiping a cam lobe out.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Another method is to make a plate which mounts in the place of the rocker stand over the oil passage. Fit a grease zerk to that plate and pump the passage full of grease. The pressure is often enough to clear the blockage.

But before you do that or diesel fuel, look under the valve covers. Wet or dry? If wet, you're good. If dry, remove the rocker shaft(s) and clean them out. Before reinstalling the rocker shaft(S) either crank the engine over with the starter or remove the distributor to turn the oil pump by other means to see if oil makes it to the shaft supply passage. If you don't get any, you have a blockage to clear.