6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Check Engine Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:38 AM
alstang1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, as for the dealership that directed me to put the incorrect fluid in the truck; they said it was not their problem. This is a dealership that I have purchased over $111,000.00 in trucks from in the past 3 years. All I have to say about that is WOW.

As for the dealership that is doing the flush, they pulled up the tech manual and let me see the process. I asked for a copy to share here, but they would not release it. To do it correctly (according to Ford) you need a heated water softend flush (180 degrees), and a vaccum flush/fill setup.

I will update as I know more, but it would appear my truck is the first 2011 to be flushed in the general public. Very little information is out on this topic.

Al

Old 02-14-2011, 09:27 AM
alstang1
Junior User
Well the dealership did call back and the general manager did tell me that they would cover the cost of the flush. I did not want them to cover it, and will not send them the bill, but I did want them to take ownership and realize the mistake, as well as retrain the parts people that are giving out mis-information.

Al

Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 PM
GlennK
Freshman User
Timely on "check coolant additive" ........ my message board indicated this warning at 15k over the week-end ...... stopped at my servicing dealer today and luckily saw their "diesel go to guy" outside the shop and asked him what's this? he brought out a kit, stuck a test strip in the coolant overflow tank, matched the color to a small chart and opened a glass vial in the kit ............ here's a surprise -> he poured 1 drop of liquid that the vial contained, reset the warning in the message center and said all is OK!!!! again 1 drop of liquid!!!! He commented that it is critical to maintain the PH balance in these motors.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Excuse me but can anyone please post which color the three pads are supposed to be in order to test the coolant. My dealer gave me a couple of strips but I am not sure what color they should be.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
GlennK
Freshman User
If I observed the mechanic correctly, the strip was white, turned color when dipped into the coolant tank, he then matched that color to a small chart that indicated what glass vial to pour into the coolant ......... at least that's what it looked like; and no charge

Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
I received three strips of which had three pads per strip and all three pads were of different color - Does anyone know if what I have are the correct strips?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't speak for Ford or from personal knowledge, but just on the face of it, I can imagine that over time, using the wrong coolant on a vehicle is a pretty common occurrence.

I need to see the chemistry of the new Ford coolant, but off hand, I see no clear and obvious danger to having it in the system briefly and promptly flushing it out.

(See this chart for different chemistries)

http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

The geek in me would, as a matter of course, use the proper cleaners etc. and probably flush an extra time or two.

But that is strictly intentional overkill.

It is not as if you are mixing two known reagents that react with each other / metal / rubber.

Heck, lots of people do more harm using biofuels above the certified level (which damages seals and gaskets of the fuel systems not hardened to that level).

Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Ford Specialty Orange is a OAT coolant like DEXCOOL and leaves little to feel warm and fuzzy about. The Premium GOLD is a HOAT coolant and will mix just fine with a OAT coolant but service life of the coolant goes down as the mix percentage goes up. We only keep 1 type of coolant for our entire fleet and that ranges from small equipment to service trucks all of them get CAT ELC rated coolant as it cuts down on time and money. All of our 6.7 trucks (14 and growing) were changed over within the first few days after the new Good Year silicone radiator hoses were installed.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Ford Specialty Orange is a OAT coolant like DEXCOOL and leaves little to feel warm and fuzzy about. The Premium GOLD is a HOAT coolant and will mix just fine with a OAT coolant but service life of the coolant goes down as the mix percentage goes up. We only keep 1 type of coolant for our entire fleet and that ranges from small equipment to service trucks all of them get CAT ELC rated coolant as it cuts down on time and money. All of our 6.7 trucks (14 and growing) were changed over within the first few days after the new Good Year silicone radiator hoses were installed.
let us know how that works out in the long run. FOrd has told us the issue is a gasket compatability concern. not one with mixing the 2 coolants.
ymmv.