Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior User

ramrod7373 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power steering fluid flush??

Took my truck into Big O to have tires rotated and they did a fluid check. They told me my power steering fluid needed to be flushed and drained. I have never heard of this. Want to charge me $99 for it. They said if I don't do it soon it will lead to pre-mature pump failure. What do you all think?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Posting Guru

redman84 has a good reputation on FTE.redman84 has a good reputation on FTE.
$99 to flush and fill a couple(if that) quarts of ATF? I hope you told them to just flush the space between their ears instead. It's not too hard to do. I've done with directions from here before but can't remember which line to disconnect. Kinda messy but not hard. Got ATF on my axle so I had to smell that every time I rolled down the window for a WHILE.
MOΛΩN ΛABÉ
Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Elder User

Iallwork is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine was wining a bit then my power streering line blew off so the fluid got changed then. Kind of a messy way to do it. Oh well little bit of rust proofing from the salt in that spot. good idea to change it though. The line on the side of the pump is easy to get at. Not sure how to flush it other then drain what you can and fill it back up a couple times. Try doing a search for it on here.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Elder User

Major Marvin is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been wanting to do this as well, what is the best ATF to use? Synthetic?

2012 Ford F-350 PSD 4x4 6 speed automatic CC LB DRW
100 Gallon Transfer Flow fuel/tool box combo
http://www.wildsuntransport.com
Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Postmaster

pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.
I just pump out as much as I can out of the reservoir with a small lube pump. And fill with synthetic ATF. I just did it a couple of weeks ago for the third or fourth time. Kinda of a long process but I hate the mess of pulling down that low pressure hose.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Senior User

KonaGrown is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://www.superdutypsd.com/power_steering_flush.php

This is for a superduty, but the procedure should be exactly the same. Just have to find the right line to disconnect and connect a hose to. Then turn the wheels from full lock to full lock (with truck jacked) keeping the reservior full until you have clean ATF fluid coming out.

2001 F250 7.3 PSD 220,000 mi CC shortbed 4X4, Auto, 3.73's. 2" Lift w/285's, 08 Mirrors, Rosewood Stage 1's (160cc/stock nozzles), TW tunes, 6637, 4"dp to 4" straight pipe, Isspro gauges, Yakima roof rack/basket
Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Postmaster

pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.
Unless its been converted to Hydro Boost that procedure isn't possible. Good link though!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Post Fiend

strokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to behold
If you want to flush it completely, you will have to disconnect the low pressure hose and it makes a bit of a mess. I would do like Pete said, pump the fluid out of the reservoir and refill it. That will get the majority of the fluid.. Of course, flushing the whole system wouldn't hurt
Travis- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 F-250 RC 2wd PSD ZF5- because race truck
2000 F-250 SC LB 4x4 ZF6- 4" TB, 6637, TW and Gearhead tunes, 160/100s, Driven Diesel in tank mods, pre/post pump filters, and RR w/ bowl delete
1994 F-150 4x4 408w- 10.5:1, TFS heads, custom cam, etc.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Posting Guru

RRranch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RRranch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Anytime a shop recommends a flush on ANYTHING, they are hurting for hours. And money. It's all a scam!!!!!! Don't buy into it.

Do like the others said and just disconnect the return hose. BUT also cut taht old return hose off the cooler down in your cross member. Install a new hose about 3 feet long and install a 3/8 inline transmission filter. With 3 feet of hose on it you can tie strap the filter in that gap between your wheel well and frame for easier replacements in the future. Just make sure to tie strap it clear of the fan too. Those filters are cheap. And use synthetic ATF like mobil 1 or something. If it's making noise now then type F should shut it up. That was some good stuff back in it's day. Ford called for it in all power steering systems through 91.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM
New User

Bronco25 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't Mix Fluids

Type F and the Dexron type fluids (Mercon) are incompatible. The seal materials for the associated fluids are attacked if the wrong fluid is used. The source of most power steering leaks is that someone at one time put the wrong fluid in the system. This made it confusing for many years when Ford switched to Mercon for the transmissions yet kept Type F for the power steering systems up until 1995. If it says Type F, do not use Power Steering Fluid or Mercon/Dexron products.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1997, 2006, 40, 4x4, atf, f15o, f350, fill, fluid, flush, ford, lariat, liter, location, power, powerstroke, steering, synthetic, truck