1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated/Signal Mirror Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM
mrwhite_350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated/Signal Mirror Wiring

currently i have non-heated, power mirrors on my 2008 350. i want to put the heated/signal tow mirros on, but have a question. i found the part (fd127el-s) and called customer service, who were helpful to an extent. apparently, my stock wiring and connector are already set up to plug the heat component of the new mirrors in, but i will need to mod my wiring to accomodate the signal portion of the new mirrors. they could not answer what (if any) new wiring/connectors are needed to perform this install.

first off, was their answer to me correct?

also, does anyone have the answer to my signal wiring dilemma?

thanks

Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Trident
New User
I posted a similar request the other day. I am upgrading from paddle style mirrors (2001 vintage) to telescoping tow mirrors with heat & turn signal (2010 vintage) on my 2001 F250 Crew Cab.

I know it can be done, just not sure how much cutting and splicing needs to be done. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to answer us both.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
mrwhite_350
Freshman User
thanks...this looks like power folding mirrors. the part i mentioned is manual folding and telescopic...this may help though...

Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
cmalinowski
Junior User
Originally Posted by mrwhite_350
thanks...this looks like power folding mirrors. the part i mentioned is manual folding and telescopic...this may help though...
Power folding to me is more important than most anything else. Nothing would bug me more than coming out of someplace, climbing in the truck, and starting to pull out of a parking space just to notice that someone folded my passenger-side mirror on me and I had to get out, walk around and fold it back.

Chris

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM
mrwhite_350
Freshman User
hey chris,

i don't know what kind of medling kids would do such a thing!...

truth is - i'd like power folding, but didnt think it would be worth the research and work to do. as i said before i have the stock paddle mirrors now. i am not an electrician, or a mechanic; just a guy who wants to install something on my truck to save the money, and have 'bragging rights'. i'm trying to make it as simple as possible.

would power folding/telescopic be that much more difficult barring my situation?

nick

Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Trident
New User
Nick-

I would definitely go with the power folding mirrors. Can you imagine how upset you'd be...if you forgot to fold it in and someone ran into it and ripped it off?

From the diagrams posted by Sam, it looks like it will be more work....but in the end worth it.

Once my mirrors arrive and I have the opportunity to compare the harness on them to the harness on the existing harness...I will draw up a wiring diagram and will post it here. This should help everyone...while also helping me anticipate any problems. I am a very visual person...and need to see things.

Sam-

Thanks for the link to that earlier post. I may have some questions once my stuff arrives. If you don't mind, I might like to pick your brain some.

Ed

Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 AM
mrwhite_350
Freshman User
ed, your the man...that would be awesome (i am visual as well, especially when dealing with schematics)...

the part i listed above (FD127EL-S) is the manual fold/telescopic, power heated/signal...can you fwd the part # for all power mirrors (heat, signal, fold, telescopic)?

thanks,

nick

Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Trident
Nick-

I would definitely go with the power folding mirrors. Can you imagine how upset you'd be...if you forgot to fold it in and someone ran into it and ripped it off?

From the diagrams posted by Sam, it looks like it will be more work....but in the end worth it.

Once my mirrors arrive and I have the opportunity to compare the harness on them to the harness on the existing harness...I will draw up a wiring diagram and will post it here. This should help everyone...while also helping me anticipate any problems. I am a very visual person...and need to see things.

Sam-

Thanks for the link to that earlier post. I may have some questions once my stuff arrives. If you don't mind, I might like to pick your brain some.

Ed
sure.. I just posted the link.. and not the author of the data..

Sam

Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Trident
New User
Nick-

My mirrors should be here in a few days. Will see if I can get a part number off of them when they arrive.

Ed

Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 AM
mrwhite_350
Freshman User
great, thanks!...the rest of us, just sit and wait...

Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 AM
mrwhite_350
Freshman User
here you go guys...this link gives some hints as to how to get the heat, signal, and parking components to work...

08-10 Tow mirror install - Page 12 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

we'll still wait for ed's info as well.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Trident
New User
Looks like I was mistaken....

The 2010 mirrors I have on the way, have the following options:

Heat
Power adjust
Turn signals
Body colored caps

Unfortunately, they do not have the power fold option but for the price I paid for them, I am not complaining. On the bright side, the installation should be much easier.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 AM
mrwhite_350
Freshman User
hey ed...they are probably the same part i am looking at (damn good priceif you got them for what i see them for)...

like i said though; the customer service i spoke to said that the factory connectors are set up for the heat and adjust components, but extra wiring will need to be done for the signal to work...

can you follow-up with some pics or instructions of how you compensated for this on your install?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trident
Looks like I was mistaken....

The 2010 mirrors I have on the way, have the following options:

Heat
Power adjust
Turn signals
Body colored caps

Unfortunately, they do not have the power fold option but for the price I paid for them, I am not complaining. On the bright side, the installation should be much easier.
Awesome! If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for them>

Quick Reply: Heated/Signal Mirror Wiring