Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you make the money to play with your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Newcomer;9982923]
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
This, and make sure your degree doesn't say "technology" anywhere on it. I made the mistake of starting my education at New England Tech, which is a good school, and the AS program only took 22 months, but because it was not an accredited college, and a "technology" (vocational) program, not a lot of credits transferred over when I went for my BSME. This resulted in me having to take a lot of classes over again, which added to costs and time.

Bob,

This is not always true, one can obtain a BSMET and get the same job as one with a BSME, if the school that one went to is duly accredited. The following is a quote I found from a thread online about this topic. I picked it because it uses the school I went to as an example.

The BSMET is every bit as good as a BSME for all practical purposes. A BSMET, if duly accredited, qualifies you for any job requiring a BSME. This is a fact. The difference lies in two areas. One, the BSME will allow seamless academic advancement to the PhD. And, two, it is a longer program, more hours, therefore a higher tally in the experience column. I don't know about other states, but in Massachusetts the BSMET is suitable education toward the PE certification. One just needs more experience under one's belt if you don't have the BSME. Again, the difference is more time of learning vs. breath of exposure. The BSMET is what The Wentworth Institute of Technology in Massachusetts has been awarding for decades. There are thousands of Wentworth engineers. Even the US government, which at one time discounted technology degrees out right, says it is acceptable if you can show you have had certain courses (i.e., differential equations) you qualify. Here the government is trying to separate the BSMET’s from the BMET’s.
I think there is still much confusion surrounding the technology degree. One important source of confusion is the BSMET vs. the BMET. Some think they are the same. The difference here is mush greater than between the BSMET vs. the BSME. Don't even consider a BMET (waste of time). The BS signifies a theoretical education.
Don't let anyone fool you. The BSMET is equivalent to the BSME for all practical purposes. Universities that offer both try very hard to distinguish between the two. The reality is many engineers have the BSMET. If you want a PhD in engineering get the BSME, that’s the only way. If you want to stay below that get a BSMET or MSMET (don't think you can get a PhD in MET).
Remember, in the real world, experience counts more than anything. The BSMET will get you in the door and you perform from there.
. . . find your own road.

By no means am I suggesting that your advice was poor, because it was in fact very good advice and something that every young person should be aware of when choosing a path. I just wanted to make sure that the OP doesnt have to completely swear off a school that would get him a Technology degree. My program required differential equations and the only difference I have found from talking to some of my co-workers with a BSME is that in some select classes they were required to derive more equations before applying them to solve the problem.
Excellent quote, and I stand corrected!

Waaay back when I went to college, the "technology" train of thought in general was that you'd get some jobs, but not meet requirements for all jobs you may be interested in.

I will say though, that Wentworth has long been known to be a cut above the rest. Excellent education!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Staveys150
yea that was my doing...

that is some awesome advice. i need to look into transfering credits more for cfcc.

but for sweeping a lot floors i have already been doing that for 3 summers at my dads repair shop... there has to be more out there. i believe a degree will help get a decent job after a couple more years of sweeping. but i have no idea
A college education is never a bad idea, as long as it's in a field that you like, and that will help you get a career that will support the type of life you want to live.

What I mean by that is, I have friends who have college educations, and are very intelligent, but their chosen field doesn't pay a lot. They're fine with it, and they knew that going into their chosen field. They're happy with the lives they're living, because they're doing what they like to do.

In my case, I make less now than I did five years ago, but I'm much happier, and don't have nearly as much stress in my life. It isn't always about money. Keep that in mind, and you'll be much happier.

As far as summer work, that's a good thing to show on a resume, and on college applications. Sweeping floors and doing grunt work sucks. It's boring, and it may seem like there's not much to learn, but it's shop time. Being exposed to the daily grind is a good thing, especially if you ask questions and show initiative to learn.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 PM
TND
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently do computer tech support for a really nice company, too bad the pay is so crappy. Good thing I am 3/8 done with a B.S. in Computer Science. I have always liked "mechanical engineering" but, I feel that I am better acquainted with computers (they do what I tell them! Sometimes too well) so I am pursuing a career in programming, while making "mechanics" my hobby (I really like having a hobby that is apart from my discipline, otherwise play feels too much like work).

I traded a $300 computer for my F250. I think I have spent more money on tools than I have in parts+trade-cost on this truck so far.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hijack more, but 732t37 where ya from? If you go to rutgers (unless you live on campus) I gotta be close. Im in freehold near six flags.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 PM
TND
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Newcomer
... The best way to know if your community college credits will work at the university you want to go to is to call them up and ask them the deal...
It is the best way but there is another way, if you happen to be going to school in one of these 14 select states; u.select lets you compare your community college (and maybe tech colleges, I have not looked) courses against other (participating) schools courses for transfer eligibility. I used it when selecting my transfer destination (years 3 and 4), now I know that my credits will transfer.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
i sell calfs,hual fire wood work on cars and trucks and junk cars and other stuff,that how i make my play money

Old 02-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Newcomer
Elder User
Originally Posted by TND
It is the best way but there is another way, if you happen to be going to school in one of these 14 select states; u.select lets you compare your community college (and maybe tech colleges, I have not looked) courses against other (participating) schools courses for transfer eligibility. I used it when selecting my transfer destination (years 3 and 4), now I know that my credits will transfer.

Cool, good advice.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
TJDave
Junior User
I drive heavy trucks and other heavy equiptment for a gov. contractor. My job is interesting, fun, the pay is very good, and I love going to work everyday. It requires no college degree.

I do have a degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management. I worked my tail off for 15 years dealing with the public, and hated every minute of it.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
jejdavis
Senior User
I was apprenticing to be a heavy duty mechanic for a local oil field hauling company but in august was innocent in a car accident with my lovely 78 half ton. Its now totaled and I broke my neck in the wreck. Doctor said I can't work for a year so now I recover and get paid for it from the insurance company. Don't quite pay for all the goodies I want but project 90 is slowly coming together!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
tankf2008
New User
full-time student in mechanical engineering
work as a technician at an a former jeep dealership(*** chrysler)
and sell scrap and flip cars i bought for cheap and fixed
and drink beer when im not doing anything which is rare or after sound ordinances and i cant work on my f150

Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Staveys150
Senior User
thanks for all the help and advice!

unfortunitely i cant use the u.select. but that is an awesome website

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 AM
BMcT
Freshman User
I'm a paramedic. I work extra shifts when I can to help pay for the things I want to do with my truck, hence the reason I am posting this from work...

Old 02-20-2011, 03:56 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Newcomer
If you do what I did and go to a private shcool out of state you will pay top dollar for that education and spend 15 years paying back loans like me.... Unless you have Parent$ with $$$$$$$ who will pay for you... I was not so lucky, and not smart enough to stay in state..
There is always my way - work, school, more work, some sleep - repeat daily, weekends included. Kinda messes up your personal life tho, or whatever other life you may be trying to have. May not be the best option, but it's definitely an option... Tho franky I wish I never recognized it as such, lol.

Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
It isn't always about money. Keep that in mind, and you'll be much happier.
That is actually a great mindset, and I tried following it at one point... and, well, now all I do is for money, I mean I have no other goal or driving force in life than getting paychecks - really I'll take on just about any job as long as it pays good and it ain't nothing illegal. Annoying work, hard work, often downright unhealthy work - I don't care, as long as when all is said and done I got more cash than I started with. Cause, happiness is great, but it's also expensive, so the faster I make the money the sooner I get to live happy Even tho I really have no idea what that means, lol.