Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Senior User

NAMDROF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Which side is Bank # 1 or Bank #2 ?

99 7.3

I am throwing a 1395 code (glow plug) which someone pointed out in another thread is on bank #1. 1396 is Bank #2

Anyone know which side is bank #1? Driver side?

I am only guessing by 1,3,5,7 cyl drivers side
and 2,4,6,8 passenger side?

THANKS!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
1,3,5,7 are passenger side
2,4,6,8 are drivers side

Click the image to open in full size.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Ford79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to beholdFord79 is a splendid one to behold
It's actually just the opposite, 1,3,5,7 passenger side and 2,4,6,8 driver side.

Damn, Ken beat me to it, and with a picture too!!

Roadside Help Network
Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMDROF View Post
99 7.3

I am throwing a 1395 code (glow plug) which someone pointed out in another thread is on bank #1. 1396 is Bank #2

THANKS!
Bank 1 is the right (passenger) side.
Bank 2 is the left (driver) side.

I think 1395 is a code for OBD trucks. What year are you working on?

EDIT: I re-read your post and see that you are working on 99 7.3. Still an odd code...
Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
Is it a California truck or one with a GPCM? If so it sounds like the GPCM isn't getting power or is fried.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:

Just a rule of thumb:

I don't know of any gasoline or diesel engine where the most-forward cylinder isn't number one. Notice the passenger's head sits a bit forward of the driver's? Not all "V" engines are like that example however, and some may instead have the left bank slightly forward, which would make the front driver's the number one on those engines.

This is also true of flat (or opposed) engines, too.

The odd-even, or side to side, subsequent numbering convention is up to the individual manufacturers. Sometimes the other bank's most-forward is number two.

Multi-row radials? Look it up in the maintenance manual! It's in there....

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 02-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Is it a California truck or one with a GPCM? If so it sounds like the GPCM isn't getting power or is fried.
I was wondering that too but I didn't think the GPCM came out until 2000. Of course I could be wrong...it's been one of those days...
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the info everyone!

Yes it is a Ca. Truck. Black label Catalyst truck. Bought it new in April 98. CC 4X4 Auto LB just coming up on 134K Just got the news yesterday to renew my tags I have to take it in and have it smogged! NEVER have had to do this before.
Truck is all original other than lots of front rotors, 1 cracked inj. cup over the years.
Just Monday it threw this 1395 code. Which in another thread is where I read it's a glow plug problem and in another thread someone described 1395 bank # 1 1396 #2.

To take it a little farther I tried clearing the code a couple days ago. It took. I then drove 2 miles to the store and it came right back. Did this a few more times with the same results. Today I got in and cleared the code. Drove the same route and stopped 2 other times similar to the day before and it now isnt throwing the code??? No longer check engine light popping on?? Whatcha think?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Postmaster

Could be the the oil temp is high enough to not require the PCM to energize the glow plugs. That would keep it from setting a code. Was it warmed up or cold after you cleared the codes today?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

Multi-row radials? Look it up in the maintenance manual! It's in there....

Pop
Your going to lose a few with that one!!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchavez View Post
I was wondering that too but I didn't think the GPCM came out until 2000. Of course I could be wrong...it's been one of those days...
He probably has a GPR shunt.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Your going to lose a few with that one!!!!
Yea, not too many of those in common usage around here!

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Senior User

Warm

Today was the same. It was cold when I first cleared the code from the day before, this time the service engine light stayed off, then stopping and starting at full operating temp for test starts after that with NO codes showing up. The day previous I did the exact same thing and every time I stopped cleared the code and would fired it up after waiting for it to go thru its starting cycle the check engine light would come on. I Will try it again in the morning and report back.

Quote:
Could be the the oil temp is high enough to not require the PCM to energize the glow plugs. That would keep it from setting a code. Was it warmed up or cold after you cleared the codes today?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Posting Guru

dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
...Bought it new in April 98...
A ford truck diesel from 1998, really?
Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter.Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline wix (33007 or 33972) filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump & two 12v 36" heaters. July of 2013-265/75/16 E range BW Michelin.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn29626 View Post
A ford truck diesel from 1998, really?
Considered an early '99.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
01, 1, 35, 46, bank, bank1, bank2, cylinder, diesel, engine, escape, f350, ford, location, motor, side, truck, v6