Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: BPofMD

Diesel Shop in Mont., Fred., Howard Co???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM
2cylguy
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Shop in Mont., Fred., Howard Co???

I don't have the time or space to work on my truck or I would. So does anyone have a truck mechanic that knows these trucks and is honest and doesn't charge an arm and a leg? I just want it scoped, a general check over before winter gets here. Thanks in advance. Tom

Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
I use Apple Ford in Columbia...but then my truck is still under warranty.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 PM
2cylguy
Senior User

Thanks, but I am trying to stay away from the dealerships.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM
cmalinowski
Junior User
I am resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one. I purchased my new-to-me 2008 F250 SD PSD from Apple Ford. I was wondering what people thought of their diesel service department.

I am trying to find a good, trustworthy diesel mechanic. Mike at Apple seems like a real nice guy, but I don't know diesels well enough to know whether he is competent or not.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Mike is simply the service ADVISOR!!! Use your knowledge in anything he tells you. The actual diesel mech is really good!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Bud is here with me...he says to do whatever you can do yourself like oil changes, to do yourself. They charge too much for the simple stuff......

Old 02-04-2011, 06:36 PM
MD05
Senior User
Originally Posted by cmalinowski
I am resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one. I purchased my new-to-me 2008 F250 SD PSD from Apple Ford. I was wondering what people thought of their diesel service department.

I am trying to find a good, trustworthy diesel mechanic. Mike at Apple seems like a real nice guy, but I don't know diesels well enough to know whether he is competent or not.

Thanks,
Chris
These rig are pretty simple to maintain if you have mechanical skills ( Nothing Fancy) and a few tool. Filters need to be changed on a regular basis along with the oil, do remember that there are two fuel filter one on the engine and one on the frame. the latter is messy to change.

Air filter if stock is a 75000 mile change, keep tabs on fluids. tha tis the simple stuff and it will run well.

Problems can be diagnosted via a variety of scan tools onthe market. This will only tell you a part truth finding the actual problem may be more dificult. Dealers... finding a good one is tough. I have had great luck with a shop in Leonardtown MD. the service manager and writer know their stuff and want their customers to be happy, but it you treat them like crap all bets are off. their mechanics do a good job. Some of the work on these things requires the cab to come off that I would rather take to a dealer.

My two cents from the cheap seats.

Cheers.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
2cylguy
Senior User

Responding to my own post. I had my truck checked out and everything was fine. So with the money I didn't spend on any repairs I made the call to Clay and ordered a guage kit, HPX, and an AE Kit. I will now not have to depend on a dealer for my information. Hopefully I will be able to eventually help out a fellow member that doesnt have an AE when they need it.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2cylguy
Responding to my own post. I had my truck checked out and everything was fine. So with the money I didn't spend on any repairs I made the call to Clay and ordered a guage kit, HPX, and an AE Kit. I will now not have to depend on a dealer for my information. Hopefully I will be able to eventually help out a fellow member that doesnt have an AE when they need it.
If you need help it's just a PM away!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 AM
cmalinowski
Junior User
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
Mike is simply the service ADVISOR!!! Use your knowledge in anything he tells you. The actual diesel mech is really good!!!
Originally Posted by MD05
These rig are pretty simple to maintain if you have mechanical skills ( Nothing Fancy) and a few tool. Filters need to be changed on a regular basis along with the oil, do remember that there are two fuel filter one on the engine and one on the frame. the latter is messy to change.

Air filter if stock is a 75000 mile change, keep tabs on fluids. tha tis the simple stuff and it will run well.

Problems can be diagnosted via a variety of scan tools onthe market. This will only tell you a part truth finding the actual problem may be more dificult. Dealers... finding a good one is tough. I have had great luck with a shop in Leonardtown MD. the service manager and writer know their stuff and want their customers to be happy, but it you treat them like crap all bets are off. their mechanics do a good job. Some of the work on these things requires the cab to come off that I would rather take to a dealer.

My two cents from the cheap seats.

Cheers.
Thanks for the info guys. I have to find out who the diesel mech is and try to get on his good side.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM
cmalinowski
Junior User
I did attend a "new owners clinic" over at Apple Ford last night for about an hour. It wasn't terribly informative, but confirmed that Mike is the Diesel Advisor. Allan was the one who talked to us and kind of gave us an overview of quicklane and other benefits of Apple Ford.

One thing I did get out of it is that Allan said that they will match any price for tires from any source. He said that used to be TireRack.com, but now there are other websites with low prices. I don't know if this applies only to people that purchased there and are part of the "customer for life" or to everyone. Seemed like a decent deal to me, but I haven't shopped for tires lately. I did look and my 20" tires are going to be expensive

Chris