Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
New User

fusionsp is starting off with a positive reputation.
DVD Player

I recently bought a 07 XLT with a flip-down DVD player. When I finally had a chance to test the DVD, it didn't work. I took it back to the dealer and they told me it was aftermarket but it looks like a stock install to me.

The name of the player is Artis but I don't see "Ford" at all on the unit including the label when I removed the unit.

Is this indeed aftermarket or did Artis supply the players to Ford for factory install.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE. Might you be able to provide pictures of the DVD player and the overall installation in the Expy? You might get a better response that way.

Without seeing anything, and based upon what you've said, I'm going to assume that the DVD unit is aftermarket.

Here's a photo of a factory installed unit:
2008 Ford Expedition Interior View Photo 8
Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 AM
New User

Hi MC,

Mine doesn't look like that so it must be a aftermarket. Just wanted to make sure the dealer wasn't trying to get out warranty repair.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
You're welcome.

Just a bit of advice...Those aftermarket DVD players are a dime a dozen. Take it to a reputable car audio installation shop. It's likely that you can get a brand new name brand unit installed for the price it'll cost to remove, assess damage, repair, and re-install what you currently have.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:30 AM
New User

I already removed it from the truck and found some bad caps on the board. I'm gonna try and re-solder in some new ones and see if that works. If not, I found several on e-bay that should work.

Shawn
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Post Fiend

Awesome! Good luck!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 AM
New User

But you are right, MC, they are a dime-a-dozen and the new ones swivel 360° and take USB and SD. Might not even be worth heating my iron.

Thanks for the advice!!

Now all I have left is to install my Sirius radio, i-Phone/i-Pad, Garmin nuvi 1490 and my Ham radio.

Looks like there is a new King of All Media in town!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM
New User

Since I need more than (1) Aux input and rather not use a splitter, I'd like to run the Aux from behind the stereo, if there is one rather than have wires coming out from the front Aux. Does anybody know if the stock radio (CD only, no Nav) has a rear Aux? I'd like to run under the center console to my Sirius radio and try and keep it clean.

BTW:I just saw Fearsam's truck and he has to be the King of All Media. What a set-up!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Post Fiend

You know...I'm not sure. I yanked the stock HU on my truck 2 days into ownership for an aftermarket Pioneer. If you went the same route you have some nice options with the 1.5 DIN size.
I believe the stock HU is wired for sat radio already, so you may be in luck.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM