Intro and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
jecsd1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro and a few questions

Hey all,
I've been a poster on FTE for a long time but just recently became infatuated with the idea of converting my old 77F250 4x4 to LP or CNG or whatever alt fuel is the best and I have a few questions

Are there pro/con's to both fuels?

I have CNG at home, can I fuel at home with CNG?

Whats involved in LEGALLY doing a conversion on my old pickup?

Thanks Guys!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lpg will be the easier of the two. The engine equipment is similar but CNG requires a tank to withstand hi-pressures of 2000-3000psi which are small and of limited capacity, requires an expensive compressor to fill the tank. And if I remember correctly the tank has a limited life. LPG Usally easier to get ahold of. If you want to give up the bed space you can put large tank in the bed (100 gal or so) and with an older vehicle the equipment should be easy to get. As far as legal issues it boils down to Local Authority Having Jurisdiction (Air polution board etc) as to if you can have your local mechanic do the converison or you have to go to a decaded shop.

Thats the high points I have had numerous trucks on LPG and use to do conversions in my driveway till I got older and the computers got more complicated.

I know I have not touched everthing but let me know any questions and I will try to answer them or get the answer for you

Regards

Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM
jecsd1
Senior User
Thanks for the reply. I live in TX so there are a few LP stations in my area. I don't mind taking up some bed space.

What is involved and where would I source parts? How expensive is this process on an older carburated truck?

Can i expect a mileage increase of is it just cheaper to fill up?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Start with your local Lp dealer. Most of them are versed in the conversions or know where to send you. If you buy all new equipment it could be anywhere from $1000-$4000 the biggest expense being the tank. If you can find a used tank it would be to your benifit. Depending on how its set up your mpg will remain the same or decrease some. Depending on location (fuel cost, taxes, grants and rebates) your costs should be lower. Older units dont require as much computor support so they are simpler to do. If you plan on Bi-Fuel be sure to get a "dual curve" unit to optimise your timing on LPG.
If you are going Dedicated have you dizzy recurved. How many miles on your engine?
Over all condition of it good compression etc?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:19 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CNG is a completely different animal than LPG. The pressure of a CNG system is about 3600psi. The "L" in LPG is liquid, so it behaves physically a lot more like gasoline.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
jecsd1
Senior User
Bi fuel would be ideal. The engine has about 30K on it since rebuild. Small RV cam. We use it for camping mostly. Sounds like LP would be way easier. Can you refer me to a book or web site with a basic install soni can get a mental picture of how this goes? Thanks again!

Jason

Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Check this site out go to the downloads section they have some general drawings to reveiw Downloads