2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever installed Phillips HID conversion kit?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
ojai150
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Anyone ever installed Phillips HID conversion kit?

Hi,..I suffer some amount of night blindness,..and want brighter headlights,..I got some silverstar H-13's but they are still not what I am looking for,..I found a true HID conversion kit from Phillips for $269.00
Does anyone know about anyone that has tried these on a Ford Truck?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed one on our '94 Bronco. Nice kit, but it wasn't compatible with the Bronco's lighting system, high and low beams were reversed and even switching leads didn't help. That being said, the company I bought from did everything they could to make it right and finally had to send me a HID low beam/halogen high beam set of bulbs. I understand that the newer trucks don't have the difficulties. You can find the Phillips HID kits for around $170 from Phillips Xenon on Ebay. I went with the Hella HIDs in the grille. I think they are better than converting the headlights as the entire lamp is designed to be HID and has the proper reflector for the HID bulbs. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
ojai150
More Turbo
Originally Posted by snowdog79
I installed one on our '94 Bronco. Nice kit, but it wasn't compatible with the Bronco's lighting system, high and low beams were reversed and even switching leads didn't help. That being said, the company I bought from did everything they could to make it right and finally had to send me a HID low beam/halogen high beam set of bulbs. I understand that the newer trucks don't have the difficulties. You can find the Phillips HID kits for around $170 from Phillips Xenon on Ebay. I went with the Hella HIDs in the grille. I think they are better than converting the headlights as the entire lamp is designed to be HID and has the proper reflector for the HID bulbs. Good luck with whatever you go with.
Great !!! thankyou,...the H13 / 9008 kit for the '04 150's is a one piece true HID bulb,..that mechanicaly flips up or down for high or low beams...

Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
Same as the 9007 bulbs in my Bronco, but the relay harness (they sent 2 to try and eliminate the issues) would back feed current through the low beam circuit when the highs were on, plus the high/low reversal. Again, doesn't sound like there are problems with the newer trucks. And PhillipsXenon's customer service has been excellent.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:40 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
Same as the 9007 bulbs in my Bronco, but the relay harness (they sent 2 to try and eliminate the issues) would back feed current through the low beam circuit when the highs were on, plus the high/low reversal. Again, doesn't sound like there are problems with the newer trucks. And PhillipsXenon's customer service has been excellent.
I found a kit on Ebay for $179.00 I might get it thanks

Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 AM
celjel
Senior User
There are a lot of bi-xenon HID kits out there for a lot less than the Phillips. I personally have xentec kits in both my f150s and love them and they were about 70 bucks with a 2 year warranty. The light output of them is truly amazing compared to the stock system.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Fox Fader
Senior User
Originally Posted by celjel
There are a lot of bi-xenon HID kits out there for a lot less than the Phillips. I personally have xentec kits in both my f150s and love them and they were about 70 bucks with a 2 year warranty. The light output of them is truly amazing compared to the stock system.
I've done some low beam HID's, how does the HI beam come on on these dual filament bulbs? Does it have to warm up?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM
celjel
Senior User
I don't know how they work exactly. They do have 3 wires on them versus the 2 wire that the low beam systems use. They definitely go to a high beam with absolutely no warm up time. They do use the same ballast as the low beam only and a relay system is required, but the third wire runs off the high beam wire of the stock system. I can tell you that I'm very happy with the systems that I have and would recommend HIDs to anyone that wants a better lighting system than stock. Again there are many systems out there for reasonable cost. There is many various threads in the forums that may be able to give you more information on HID systems if you use the search function.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Fox Fader
Senior User
That's enough info, I was just curious.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
celjel
Senior User
Glad I could help you some. I'm new to a lot of different thigs dealing with these trucks as I have always had f-350 diesels, but this forum is the best for learning and I'm always happy to give anyone any info I may have.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 PM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
The HID bulbs have an electromagnet in the base. The relay activates the magnet when you flip to high beam, pulling the bulb rearward in the headlight housing, changing the focus (or I have it backwards, but the principle is the same).

Old 02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
The HID bulbs have an electromagnet in the base. The relay activates the magnet when you flip to high beam, pulling the bulb rearward in the headlight housing, changing the focus (or I have it backwards, but the principle is the same).

Exactly,...that's why I ordered the phillips kit today,..as it is a true HID for both high and low,..instead of HID low beam, and Halogen high beam
I will report how it works out.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 AM
celjel
Senior User
That is interesting how they work. Maybe that is why the base of the bulb is so much different on the bi versus the single low beam. I first ordered the conversion and it was single beam only and I wanted both so contacted the seller and they sent me the parts for the bi set up that were missing on the single setup.The bulbs are different and like I said before the relay kit is required also. So on my kit there is no halogen bulb for high beam, it is just a single bulb about the size of a short pencil.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
Just installed an HID kit in my fogs yesterday. What a difference! I'd say they are at least twice as bright as stock, but still have a nicely defined cut-off vertically. I used a DDM Tuning kit this time. I don't think the components of the DDM kit look as nice as the Phillips parts, but they work fine which is the most important part, and the kit with expedited shipping and a relay harness (which I didn't need to use) was only about $65.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Fox Fader
Senior User
Just installed an HID kit in my fogs yesterday. What a difference! I'd say they are at least twice as bright as stock, but still have a nicely defined cut-off vertically. I used a DDM Tuning kit this time. I don't think the components of the DDM kit look as nice as the Phillips parts, but they work fine which is the most important part, and the kit with expedited shipping and a relay harness (which I didn't need to use) was only about $65.
I put some 'el cheapos in my Durango fogs, 3k's and the have work perfect for a year. I may do some here. What's the bulb number for our ROUND fogs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever installed Phillips HID conversion kit?