1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Whats up with this!!??!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:01 AM
gusbratz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no body seems to understand any thing i do. they just roll their eyes. i dug a basement under my house with a shovel and got the treatment from everybody obout what a waste of my time that was.. I spent a couple hours digging every night for 2 years till it was done. every body said man that is hard work what a waste bla bla bla. but if i had spent 200$ for a mebership at a gym and lifted weights for 2 hours every day nobody would have batted an eye and when all was said and done it WOULD have been a waste. I don't listen to what people tell me to do very often.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
yeah there is not very many men left that work out the old fashioned way.''Men'' now days want to look good but they do it all wrong.some start with the gym,followed by a tan session,followed by manicure,then they shave their eyebrows,all body hair is removed and they turn into a silly, barbie looking person.
My 19 yo bro-in-law went to Mississipi for 3 weeks to visit his friend who happens to have a (male)gay couple for parents.
Thats cool and all i guess but he came back all dolled up. They turned him in to a metrosexual kid.Not homosexual.
That irritates me.
I remember men working on their trucks with their son holding the light.Men digging a hole for the missus to plant a tree.
Now nobody wants to work on old cars.And we are the ones wasting time???We are just trying to save a little American history here.our trucks are the remaining of the greatest era ever.
people are just waiting for the new cellphone or the new 60mph tuna can to get advertised.
I apologize if I offend anyone with my ignorance

Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I wont touch the metrosexual. But I agree that there to much of it out there.

The only greef I get it that I have to many projects... I've had a '62 HD XLCH that I've been trying to find some parts for it... It is currently in storage in about 10 boxes... I need to clean my garage out, and finish putting it back together... I don't like the stock front end and wish to find a girder front end for it... If not one of these days I will have to finish my design of my own...

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

sorry i might have said too much...those ''guys ''are the ones always telling me that old car sare a waste of time tho.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Some people lack vision, almost everyone thought my truck was a junker till I slapped a little paint on it to protect it this winter, then suddenly it was gold to everyone. Some people see nothing worth while in anything "old", some people have no taste, and some people don't like the fact you can do something they can't.

Pay no mind to them, build what you want, how you want, like you're the last person on earth. If they don't like it, who cares, it's not their truck.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Stephen67
Some people lack vision, almost everyone thought my truck was a junker till I slapped a little paint on it to protect it this winter, then suddenly it was gold to everyone. Some people see nothing worth while in anything "old", some people have no taste, and some people don't like the fact you can do something they can't.
That is so true,people saw my truck and thought they could buy it for 500 bucks because it wasnt painted.when they asked me if i wanted to sell it,I would ask them how much they thought it was worth?
The very first thing they said was:Well,its not painted so maybe 400-500?
I would politely say:thanks for asking or simply laugh.
I wander how choptop49 and LOWFOMOCO felt if people would offer them 1000-2000 dollars for their sleeper trucks.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
do any of you out there have friend s that say nice project to bad youll never get it done. I m getting to know a lot of guys around that do projects now and most are really good to get advice and/or help from. But ther are a few that have real nice cars and trucks but will not do the work themselves these are the guys that give me the great advice that it not right ,it could be beter and too bad youll never drive. I usually tell them if i had their money id aleast buy the best one they can find not the junker their driving. Its amazing now little idvice i now get from these "friends"

Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by agronomistont
do any of you out there have friend s that say nice project to bad youll never get it done. I m getting to know a lot of guys around that do projects now and most are really good to get advice and/or help from. But ther are a few that have real nice cars and trucks but will not do the work themselves these are the guys that give me the great advice that it not right ,it could be beter and too bad youll never drive. I usually tell them if i had their money id aleast buy the best one they can find not the junker their driving. Its amazing now little idvice i now get from these "friends"
I only hear that from strangers! I don't have the best record on finishing projects.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by agronomistont

There are two types of vintage truck owners; the ones who paid someone else for it, and the ones who had a dream and made it. The ones who pay, at least in my experience (I'm sure there are some who aren't, I just haven't met any yet, lol), are always arrogant about it and have no actual experience making anything. I prefer to befriend the ones enjoying the journey of having a vintage truck, rather than one who bought it as a lark. Sharing the dream I suppose, it's much more fun to me to go cruising with people who just barely have their project on the street verse someone who bought something all done (where's the fun in that?). Nothing beats that feeling you get when you finally get to go for a drive because of your work. It's unlike anything else, and not something that can be bought.

Car building seems to be like anything else, most share the same passion but there are some people who just suck and thus retain that suckiness no matter what they are doing. Those with a dream see it in other builders I think, doesn't matter what the ride is, it's all about the journey of making it your own.

And btw, from what I've seen taking several years to build one is common, if nothing else the time it takes. Several hundred or even thousand hours are not easy to come by when you have to do anything else in your day. Heck on my Mustang I did nothing but work on it and it still took over half a year, and I spent all day all week on it. My truck on the other hand I've barely been able to work on, and actually can't do what I really want to do till down the road when I can afford it, not just the money of parts but being with the truck. Not to mention space... it doesn't fit in that garage, lol. Heck I started looking three years ago, found one two years ago, took me over half a year to get it home, several months just looking for a bed and not much has happened since... cause its hard to work when it's covered in snow and -20, lol. But thats ok, because if I had of just done what I originally planned, I would not be happy now. I changed my direction with it when I got a better feel for the truck and decided I needed to keep the 50s feel above anything else. Way different than my original plans that where very dark side.

There are always the people who thought you should have done it their way, done a different truck, different color, different direction, whatever. Pay no mind to these people, if they could do what you could they would have. It's not their truck nor their dream. Find the friends who are just excited to see it come together for you, everyone else is just a yahoo. lol.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm agreeing with eveything you say there Stephen. We are a special breed ( vintage truck/and or car fans). I know a lot of guys that wouldn't dirty their fingers with a hobby like this. They would rather get a second mortgage on their house and go out and buy some kind of space age brand new truck or car. Then drive it all around saying look at what I got!...They can all kiss our butts.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by gusbratz
no body seems to understand any thing i do. they just roll their eyes. i dug a basement under my house with a shovel and got the treatment from everybody obout what a waste of my time that was.. I spent a couple hours digging every night for 2 years till it was done. every body said man that is hard work what a waste bla bla bla. but if i had spent 200$ for a mebership at a gym and lifted weights for 2 hours every day nobody would have batted an eye and when all was said and done it WOULD have been a waste. I don't listen to what people tell me to do very often.
My Dr. always asks me if I exercise regularly; I list off the yard work I do and ask if bench-pressing transmissions into place counts? He doesn't get it.

It always irks me that most of the people I know who boast about how they "run" for exercise, drive their SUVs to the place where they "run"... sometimes as close as a mile or two away. Couldn't they "run" there?!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
mjoiner
Cross-Country
My friends are all sports crazy. If anything, I'm the one telling them to stop wasting time and get a old truck! My wife hates my truck and says its stinkin up the garage. (good reason to build a shop I guess) My father thinks I should get rid of the old truck and buy a new Ford car to look at. Hes always been a car guy. My grandfather who was a mechanic always use to say " Boy, you can spend all your time and money on a damned ole car". It did't change my mind though.