6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

do 6.0 diesels have head gasket problems?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
jcweis1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do 6.0 diesels have head gasket problems?

Hi ALL,

I am new to this forum. I am looking at a 2005 F350 4 X 4 - 6.0 crew cab dually with 122,000 miles to purchase for $13000.
The seller is saying the dealer said the code read it needs a new FICM which I can get repaired by a Ford tech friend for $550 parts included.

My main concern is I have heard that 6.0 are natorious for head gasket issues. Is this true? Should I stay away from the 6.0 and go older with the 7.3? What percent of 6.0 have the head gasket issue?

Is there a way to look and tell if this truck has a head gasket issue?

I am going to look at this truck tomorrow so any help would be GREAT!

Thanks to everyone

Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

I you have a ford tech friend he should know, ask him

Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's more a head bolt problem, and less a gasket problem. From what I have heard the 03's and 04's had the most problems, but if any of the trucks are pushed especially with tuners, most will say you are pushing your luck and will recommend upgrading to ARP head-studs to prevent "floating the heads."

Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM
mixerdrvr
Senior User
Originally Posted by jcweis1
Hi ALL,

I am new to this forum. I am looking at a 2005 F350 4 X 4 - 6.0 crew cab dually with 122,000 miles to purchase for $13000.
The seller is saying the dealer said the code read it needs a new FICM which I can get repaired by a Ford tech friend for $550 parts included.

My main concern is I have heard that 6.0 are natorious for head gasket issues. Is this true? Should I stay away from the 6.0 and go older with the 7.3? What percent of 6.0 have the head gasket issue?

Is there a way to look and tell if this truck has a head gasket issue?

I am going to look at this truck tomorrow so any help would be GREAT!

Thanks to everyone

Actually they have head bolt issues! The bolts stretch and allow the head to lift which blows the gaskets. If the truck is stock and taken care of then you should have no problems. The major issues with the 6.0 is the oil cooler blocking up. Get a good aftermarket gauge like the edge insite or the scangaugeII and keep an eye on your ect, eot, egt, and boost. also get a fuel pressure gauge and make sure you fuel pressure does not go below 45, or you will be eating injectors.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
jcweis1
Junior User
Thanks for the replies.

Is there any tests that I can do to determine if the head gasket is failing or about to fail?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
mixerdrvr
Senior User
Thanks for the replies.

Is there any tests that I can do to determine if the head gasket is failing or about to fail?
Look for white residue around the degas bottle, if the head gaskets are gone it will puke coolant out the degas bottle.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,379 Likes on 2,079 Posts
Welcome to FTE jcweis1 Enjoy the forums

Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies.

No, there in no reliable test! Stock 6.0s seem to be good engines. I have 2 (05-149k and 06 131k) Stock 6.0 s and 1 (05) has had no issues and the other minor issues taken care of under warranty! The Ficm went bad in the 06 a few weeks ago and they can be rebuilt for about $350.00 shipped and there easy to remove and install.

I will say this if you think someone has put a programmer on the truck DO NOT BUY IT!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the heads lift you start pumping exhaust gas into the cooling system there by raising pressure and eventually puking. There is a pressure test along with exhaust gas test in coolant available.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
jcweis1
Junior User
The seller said he has added a EDC 3 stage switch ?

Can anyone tell me what this is? Is this something that shoud be avoided?

thanks again everyone

Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
No, there in no reliable test! Stock 6.0s seem to be good engines. I have 2 (05-149k and 06 131k) Stock 6.0 s and 1 (05) has had no issues and the other minor issues taken care of under warranty! The Ficm went bad in the 06 a few weeks ago and they can be rebuilt for about $350.00 shipped and there easy to remove and install.

I will say this if you think someone has put a programmer on the truck DO NOT BUY IT!
That's it bubba, keep on qualifying it.

However, you can do a pressure test to see if it's holding pressure. That's about as good as it gets.

Sorry OP, that is carry over from a previous thread.

As every one has pointed out, it is really head bolts that the 6.0 has more of an issue with(in conjunction usually with owner induced issues), but like the EGR system, head bolts are the easiest identification "markers" that the laymen know. The gaskets on our trucks don't have an issue, they aren't like the 02-04 Mustangs with the passenger gaskets.

Some people will say that the mere presence of a tuner is enough to make someone look the other way. Yes and no, it really depends. More often then not I would say run away just because of the lack of real knowledge with how tuners affect the 6.0 specifically, but not in all cases.

I'm unfamiliar with EDC 3 Stage switch, but if the switch is the same type of switch that comes to my mind, I wouldn't want to be messing with it, if it relates to performance. However, I would have to know more about it first.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
The seller said he has added a EDC 3 stage switch ?

Can anyone tell me what this is? Is this something that shoud be avoided?

thanks again everyone
That's an aftermarket tuner. It's possible he's pushed the tourque-to-yeild bolts to their limits. The sole root of the head-lifting issue. The thing some don't understand is the 6.0L/365VGT (International's name for the engine) pushed harder in the Ford chassis than the school bus chassis that International designed it for. It's 250Hp in the bus chassis. There are numerous reasons why the Ford versions is higher (competition, EPA emissions) but basically either someone didn't realize it...or it was disregarded when it came to the power the 6.0L makes. More than the 7.3L in a smaller package.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by zhilton
That's an aftermarket tuner. It's possible he's pushed the tourque-to-yeild bolts to their limits. The sole root of the head-lifting issue. The thing some don't understand is the 6.0L/365VGT (International's name for the engine) pushed harder in the Ford chassis than the school bus chassis that International designed it for. It's 250Hp in the bus chassis. There are numerous reasons why the Ford versions is higher (competition, EPA emissions) but basically either someone didn't realize it...or it was disregarded when it came to the power the 6.0L makes. More than the 7.3L in a smaller package.

International calls it a VT365 and what knowledge do you have of what International designed it for?
International still sells a 300HP version for military applications.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by origcharger
International calls it a VT365 and what knowledge do you have of what International designed it for?
International still sells a 300HP version for military applications.
It has been called several different names within the Navistar camp. VTG 365 & 365 VGT are the two most used terms. Both names/terms mean the EXACT same engine....365 (displacement) equipped with a Variable Turbo/Variable Geometry Turbo....which is what sits above the flywheel/rear of the valley. As much as I don't like to use Wikipedia...they do have a decent resource of photos

Yes, they use the engine in the Military/Defense world....
File:Army mxt.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But it's main use/purpose was the school bus chassis...
File:ICCEIllinois.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(just like the 7.3L/444TE)

And the medium chassis trucks....
File:MuncyTruck.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as Navistar's attempt to enter the consumer truck market...
File:International CXT pickup.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as my questioned knowledge about what Navistar designed the engine for... The certifications I carry mean nothing on this forum (I'm not going to waste my time listing them). But I remember allot of things that I read...both manuals & articles on a variable of subjects. Several years ago I learned that you can get some OEM parts at a Navistar dealership "cheaper" than FoMoCo. But you have to know that your talking to them about a 365VGT...eh 365VT and not a 6.0L. Tell them your looking for 6.0L parts they're going to tell you to call Ford, they don't sell Ford/Motorcraft parts. If the guy at the counter wants to know what your buying the parts for...tell 'em it's a roll-back wrecker or "old school bus" you bought at an auction. Usually that gets 'em off your back for a serial number. If you give them the serial number of the motor in your truck (can be found on the sticker on the FICM & below the driver's head stamped into the block) they'll know in a heartbeat it's Ford applied motor and the conversation is over. Otherwise you have to take the old part in there and hope that they can get a part number off of it.

If you want to bash me...knock your self out.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Simply answer YES

YES, they have problems with the heads. If you run a tuner or tow heavy you WILL have head problems. Ask any ford service writer or diesel mechanic. My stock 05 blew two sets of head gaskets by the time it hit 80k. I tow heavy and it just could hold together. Some seem not to have problems.

Common 6.0 problems
Head Gaskets
EGR
Oil Cooler
FICM
HPOP
Injectors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: do 6.0 diesels have head gasket problems?