Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 AM
FTE Administrator

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
40 years ago today, right about this time

1971 San Fernando earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Slide Show
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09

Last edited by SteveBricks; 02-09-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
I awoke early for school that day!!! It was a Tuesday.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
FTE Administrator

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
I'm pretty sure it was the first earthquake I was ever aware of....I remember my parents talking about how it reminded them of the Tehachapi earthquake as far as the shaking went.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
I guess it was my first, too. At that age it really didn't frighten me. I laid in bed through the whole thing and my Mom ran in rousting me out of bed. I don't think I had any idea that it could physically hurt me, or that it could have destroyed our home. I was too young and dumb to worry about anything. Just took everything for granted.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 02-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Posting Guru

wb6anp has a good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a good reputation on FTE.
I lived in Granada Hills at the time and actually slept through most of it I woke up to the last couple of shocks.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
It's time for the biggie. Ocean Beach front property in Nevada. WOOOHOOO

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
I had a big ol' Teac reel-to-reel tape deck about two feet from my head, and the first thing I thought was, "If that thing falls on my head, it's gonna' do some real damage." So, I rode out the '71 earthquake hugging a tape deck.

A big mirror was temporarily stored behind a door, and it came crashing down onto the floor, breaking into a dozen sharp pieces. Luckily, I wasn't cut, despite not being able to find my shoes.

I got up and went to work. I was one of the first to arrive, and the place smelled of gas. I decided to get back out of the building. At the time, I worked at RCA, a place that was declared in the evacuated area later that day because of the Van Norman Dam breach. I didn't know when I went back home that I would be out of work for about a week until they could lower the level of the water.

My shop was about a mile south of me, and the race car was up on jack stands. When I finally got there later that day, it wasn't any longer on the stands, but there was virtually no damage to anything in the whole shop. The car was fine. Two Chrysler B-block heads that had been standing on end had fallen over, and one had put a big ding in a chrome valve cover.

The auto parts store about a hundred feet from the shop was TOAST inside, with shelving overturned and parts everywhere. I remember helping the owner re-organize his stock. I especially remember all the engine push rods, which were all loose because you could buy them individually back then. Dozens of different lengths and sizes. I had nothing else to do, 'cause I was out of work.

Memories....

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
2 bit Californian

bill.pounds.1
When the '87 Whittier Narrows quake struck, I had just walked into the shop at work. That was a much stronger quake at the locations I was at those times. I would much rather ride these out at home in bed than at work.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
I was in Appleton, Wisconsin for the Whittier Narrows quake.

Marge was in the shower,

in Reseda.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 PM
FTE Administrator

That one broke a lot of dishes at my folks house in PR...pretty much emptied the cupboards.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
I'm in the ring of fire and will go when Cali goes. it's a long swim to Nevada for you. Just how long can you tread water?

A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 PM
FTE Administrator

I'm not worried, Rich...I wear an inflatable live vest 24/7.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Peru, Chile, New Zealand, Japan - CA isn't next, I think Alaska is. Still, it's about this time I start thinkin' about e-quake insurance for the home. Just been living here too long - that So Cal - 'what me worry?' attitude.
2000 Excursion XLT V10 4x4 170K, front V's, rear mod'd C's,, 315's, winch bumpers F/R, Viair system, Piaa lighting, Hellwig rear, dual Optimas, oily K&N, RedHeaded, scratchy paint, love taps at each corner.

Join the So Cal chapter here
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Old School

The next one will be Yellowstone. And knock out most of north America. But the pressure will be of for a while and Alaska and SoCal will be okay.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
The next one will be Yellowstone. And knock out most of north America. But the pressure will be of for a while and Alaska and SoCal will be okay.
Hope it waits till my elk hunt is over
Old 03-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter