Sponsored by: Moser

How to make a dually

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM
FuelishPleasure
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make a dually

Hey all, I've been looking around the site the last half an hour, and around the rest of the web for some time now too.

I think it would be kind of sweet to make my next project that i buy this summer into a dually.

Now I'm not fully sure how this would be done though. Do you need to swap in a whole new rear axle? or can you do it by using your old axle?

I found some "dually axle kits" where they just have basically a giant spacer (heres the first site i found to show you.
Chromewheel.com Picture Gallery i'm not going to get those ones i'm just posting this site to show you)

I know the rims are different obviously, they are pretty much just a C shape? are all 4 rims for the back the same? so you just put 2 of them on opposite and that would be why they have the big spacer? So the rims would stack like this ][ on each side?

I'm sorry if any of you think these are dumb questions, i'm just unfamiliar with it and would like to learn a bit for future knowledge.

****Just so you know, i just want to know about the questions asked above and maybe a bit i forgot about, but please don't tell me about how i need fender flares and what not cause i already know plenty about that part.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need the dually Spindle and Hubs, but it would be easier to just get the whole I-beam for the amount of work.

Obviously you could use those adapters, but you could also grab the Dana 70. Which would be the more correct way, and probily the most durable. It would be under the same truck you get the I-beams from.

A few years ago I bought a 74 F-350 flatbed dually for $500 in fairly good condition except for the motor. I am sure if you look around CL you could find one easily enough, and if your adventerous get one here in CA and drive her home.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 PM
FuelishPleasure
Junior User
K, so i should also add that I think the dually set up will probably be on a 2wd.

So that being said do i need the stuff you said at the beginning? I mean, with a 2wd dually you just need either the new axle on the back or the spacers and you would kind of be set, or not?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
I think you'd be better off buying a 70s model F350 flatbed and switching the parts over. You'd have less in it than you would buying a conversion kit and you'd have other parts off the truck you could use if you needed them. BTW, please let us know how the fender flare thing works out for you, seeing as how Ford did not offer the one ton dually in anything other than a flatbed version or cab and chassis. I am sure there are others around here who would like to know about a fender flare source for these 70s model Fords.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
FuelishPleasure
Junior User
I will let you all know when i get around to doing fender flares for it.

There is only one problem with getting a parts flatbed dually. There aren't any for sale around here. And I haven't even seen any in our year range ever. I mean its hard to find even a normal dent around here, its kinda sad, because i love them.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 PM
91Bronc300
Elder User
There was a guy parting out 2 79 cab chassis truck in milwaukee around christmas. I just checked recently for his ad and it's no longer there but I do remember his ad saying something like "I've parted out over 30 dentsides and have a buttload of parts so call me for what you need, I might have it". Anyone with that many parts I figured should be on craigslist almost constantly. Maybe check there. I've been considering a d70 dually swap myself

Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM
79F350Loui
New User
HI new to forum, just reading dually problem. 73-79 1 ton rear axle is to narrow for a box assy. only sticks out past sides about 3.5"-4.0"and inner dual will hit inner fender well unless you cut them out about 4"and 1 ton has narrow frame.If you use F250 2wd or F350 4x4 frame they have wide rear frame.then you can use E350 rear end assy. or 87-98 F350 rear end assy.[dually rear ends].I built 79 F350 SCS with F450 suspension. [2wd] frt and rear. The rear end with springs bolts to the F350 SCS narrow rear frame.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Witty73
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 2 factory cab and chassis F350's...Ill measure to confirm.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
fordman400
Senior User
I got my dually d70 off of a 76 f350 grain truck. The frame rails measured the same distance apart as my f250. Both my truck and parts truck are 2wd.
I got axle with springs since f250 had 3inch wide springs and f350 has 2.25inch wide springs.
So if going to dually get an axle with springs and perches. It will make the switch easier. Also the over all length of the f350 springs are shorter than the f250 springs. Perch location will change.
I picked up my axle complete with 6 wheels and tires for $200 on CL. The best advice I give is look around and a tape measure is your best friend when doing this.
I should add that you could leave the front be. Some would say that it will look like a conversion was done. But thats how I'm leaving mine standard wheels in front dually out back. I like that look and i have plenty of room to carry 2 spare tires. But if you start with a 250 or 350 you could put spacers up front to put dually wheels in front. Unless you get dually front suspension.

Last edited by fordman400; 02-09-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added more to post
Old 02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
FuelishPleasure
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordman400
I got my dually d70 off of a 76 f350 grain truck. The frame rails measured the same distance apart as my f250. Both my truck and parts truck are 2wd.
I got axle with springs since f250 had 3inch wide springs and f350 has 2.25inch wide springs.
So if going to dually get an axle with springs and perches. It will make the switch easier. Also the over all length of the f350 springs are shorter than the f250 springs. Perch location will change.
I picked up my axle complete with 6 wheels and tires for $200 on CL. The best advice I give is look around and a tape measure is your best friend when doing this.
I should add that you could leave the front be. Some would say that it will look like a conversion was done. But thats how I'm leaving mine standard wheels in front dually out back. I like that look and i have plenty of room to carry 2 spare tires. But if you start with a 250 or 350 you could put spacers up front to put dually wheels in front. Unless you get dually front suspension.
Thanks for the info man, and just to let you know, i am very jealous of your very good buy ha, i wish i could find a deal like that.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:13 PM
fordman400
Senior User
I know I lucked out on that one. I have see other around by me going for about $500 for axle springs and 4 wheels. Just keep an eye on CL and ebay. Put a post on CL saying your looking for parts someone will have what your looking for. Hell it worked for me.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
Something you might try is a craigslist search. I've used this one> SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist You can put in your zip code, what you are looking for (F350), and search all the CL ads within whatever distance you choose. It saves a lot of time. Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
OrFordGuy
Elder User
daully conversion..

i'm dooing the swap on my 78supercab 4X4...ran into probs on all fronts...the cab and chassis rear axles don't fit, i know i still have the 70 i tried to put in...the inner tire rubs on the leaf springs....thats using a 235X75r16...finally got a rear axle it;s a 70 with 3.73 from a 82 grumann deliovery van....came with al 6 wheels and tires 4 $150...tirees are shot but the rims are 16"...once i get it fitten underneath i'll build custom 12" wde fender ext...that'll cover the 285X75r16s i plan on runnin and give me the dually bed look i want..the front is far more difficult as ford never built a dually 4X4 until 83-84. if it wre 4X2 i'd just swap in the 350 dually fronts as all the 4X2 from 67-79 use the same fromt rails.. i did find a set of 4X4 dually assemblys from a memver in newyork somewhere...haven't heard from him recedntly probly snowed in,but hope to get the ttb outer assemblys and swap them on...

Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this might be alittle over the top but hey i figure you could use something to drool over.

Old Ford Crew Cab Community, Pre 1980 Ford Crew Cab owners community and information source.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
FuelishPleasure
Junior User
That thing is pretty bad ***, i've seen a few pictures on some other places on how he did that bed flare but i hadn't seen the rest of the pictures.

I personally didn't like the boss stripes he put on there. It would have been perfect without them.

Quick Reply: How to make a dually