1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

broken HOWTO - TTB (Twin Traction Beam) Frame Bushing, U-Joint Replacement, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
broken HOWTO - TTB (Twin Traction Beam) Frame Bushing, U-Joint Replacement, etc.

<table style="background-color: rgb(218, 222, 235); text-align: left; width: 810px;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
Provided by Bern_F150_4x4

<table style="background-color: rgb(244, 244, 254); text-align: left; width: 800px;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
Just finished, 1986 F250 TTB frame bushing replacement - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Originally Posted by Bern_F150_4x4
Here's a couple pics of the installer tool I made. There isn't a lot of room to do this job so a small press is required to work around the frame/brackets/suspension. Like I said, I dragged my feet on making this thing so no AutoCad drawings, no measurements, hell it's not even square! Strictly an eyeball job; cut, drill, weld and tap. Well I did deburr it...

</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table style="background-color: rgb(218, 222, 235); text-align: left; width: 810px;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
Provided by 86_bigred

<table style="background-color: rgb(244, 244, 254); text-align: left; width: 800px;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
ttb u-joint replacement - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Originally Posted by 86bigred

here are some pics of the passenger side ttb u joint replacement.
here's the wheel removed

this is the locking hub removed

Provided by dohc_chump

The TTB Thread - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Originally Posted by dohc_chump
This was probably better the first time around, but my frickin' computer wigged out and shut down So do over....

Like a lot of guys, my '84 is still running a TTB setup. I've searched and read till my head was spinning and this is some of the info I gathered. Some of the info is repeated within other threads, but it's all worth reading. Some links pertain to Rangers and BII's, but the meat of the info still applies to our full size rigs. This is good reading for those wishing to understand and tweak their TTB setups. So without further ado, here are my links.

Ford's (In)Famous TTB Suspension
TTB vs. The World
Dana 44 TTB Axles
School me on TTB axle set-ups
Getting the most out of your Ford TTB Suspension
Lifting a TTB Suspension
Lift and Tire Information for 80-96 Bronco

Dana 50 3rd member and stub shaft install - upgrade your D44 (changed to right link)
D50 Inner Upgrade
Drain plug install on TTB front axle
My Gear and Locker Install (pics) - Front axle install starts on page 3
Dana 44 8-lug swap - Chevy conversion
Steering Tech - An in-depth discussion about TTB steering and alignment
Maximizing Your Wheel (Suspension) Travel
D44 TTB TRE Flip
TTB Uniball
Extended Radius Arms
Extended Radius Arms - more discussion
Longer Suspension Travel
Limits of long travel Dana 44 TTB
Questions on Long-Travel TTB
Random TTB Pics - some nice pics within the thread
TTB Flex Thread
Let's have a review/comparo of Ford coils springs - Coil info for TTB setups
ORA Ford Heavies 1980-86 - Suspension and tire info for 3/4 and 1 ton TTB, good general TTB info

Some basic info for those who need it:

<embed src="about:blank" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="390" width="640">

Provided by Encho

Ford (87 - 96 F-150/Bronco) front end rebuild

Originally Posted by Encho
Before you start reading, i want to state just what is contained and what isn't in this write-up:

What was done?:

- Automatic hubs where replaced with Warn manual hubs
- Bearings and seals in the hubs
- Brake rotor and pads
- Inspection of the front axle u-joints

What wasn't?:

-Replacement of the bushings, ball-joints, drag link or anything else related to the steering.

Of course, all of this was done to the Dana 44 TTB that's installed in my 1993 Bronco.

Ok, lets get started:

<!--

End close of outermost table

-->