1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Monster 337 ci flattie in '53 (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 PM
denverslim
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Monster 337 ci flattie in '53 (pics)

Dale Fairfax recently sent me the photos of his '53 with the installation of the monster 337 cubic inch flathead engine. Some period speed equipment, including the duel carb manifold and the aluminum heads were utilized.
I post them here with Dale's permission and your enjoyment...slim

Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Is that the stock exhaust?

Thanks for the pics!!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Horizonblue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting these. What a beautiful truck!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 PM
gobybike
Junior User
Nice... I need a mill like that. Who knew you could build one NOT held together with caked on crud!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Any feedback from Dale on how it runs out?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 PM
denverslim
Senior User
Havi, I think we're looking at tubular headers here. Hopefully Dale will chime in and give us some details and tell us how it performs compared to the 8BA. The pictures make it look like it fits right in there. They don't do justice to the actual size of this beast...slim

Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I figure it to be tight. The F8 has the same overall width of the frame ('48-52, 2" narrower then the '53)
and a bigger steering box than the F1, so technically it should fit, except maybe oil pan clearance? But that exhaust looks to dump straight down?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by denverslim
Dale Fairfax recently sent me the photos of his '53 with the installation of the monster 337 cubic inch flathead engine. Some period speed equipment, including the duel carb manifold and the aluminum heads were utilized.
I post them here with Dale's permission and your enjoyment...slim
What?! I'd like to hear more about the performance parts for this beast! Where did they come from? Were they custom built for this particular block?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
that is a beauty,it probably cost 3 times what my truck cost me, maybe more

Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i passed up a 337 in a wasted 50 or 51 coe grain truck at an auction last year as i didn't think you could find goodies for it and the oe stuff was supposedley hard to get ..... now i'm wishing i hadn't . dain thing sold for 200 bucks , but would've been a mother to get outta where it had sat for a few millennia ..................... that'd sure suprise a few tuners wouldn't she !!!!!!!!!!! there is another fella on here that has one perched in an f-1 bonus built , i thought up around chi-town , or so , but haven't seen or heard any thing of it for quite awhile ..................... the headers look a lot like the sandersons i'm wanting for my 53's flatty . she's got headers now but they're exhaust shop built so they aren't mandrel bent , got a few wrinkles where they turn out too the exhaust , but have served the girl very well for a very long time ..... since 72 according to the p.o's neice ...........................

Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Dale Fairfax
Senior User
337 Flattie

The headers are homebuilt (30 years ago) and they do dump straight down. Originally that caused some problems-the outlet was right over the axle and the bend in the exhaust pipe had to be too tight to avoid the axle. And even that wasn't 100%. This time around (a complete body off frame resto) we fixed that: The wheel arches in the front fenders have been moved forward 3" and the axle moved 4 1/4". The truck now has a better (in my opinion) look from the side due to less front overhang plus the wheels are now centered in the openings. As regards "how does it perform?", I'm still in the tweaking stages but have every reason to believe the rebuilt engine will do better than the old loose stocker-which shocked many people in spite of its age and condition. It was a tire burner.

Thanks a bunch to Denverslim for posting my pictures.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Dale Fairfax
Senior User
337 Flattie

Sorry I didn't address your question. Back in the day, Edmunds and Edelbrock both made aluminum high compression heads for the Lincoln; Edmunds also made 2 X 2 manifolds. I knew about them from the time a neighbor brought home a new '51 Lincoln with the Edmunds parts already (dealer) installed. (I was 12 at the time). The Edelbrocks became extremely rare-the Edmunds somewhat less rare. I searched for many years before finding this Edmunds set and had to break the bank to buy it. The choice of carbs was off the wall.In the day they actually used 2 of the Holley 885s-the ugly ones with rearward facing chokes. I don't know how that worked since the space between the air intake of the front carb and rear carb was only about 1/2". I saw these Stromberg WWs at a swap meet and thought they looked about right. Not to mention quite unusual. Rochester 2CGs would probably have been easier but they're so obviously GM. (Couldn't have that!)

Originally Posted by badger_hound
What?! I'd like to hear more about the performance parts for this beast! Where did they come from? Were they custom built for this particular block?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
denverslim
Senior User
So Dale, as you may remember I have one of these ole boys, sorta sitting in the wings until I get inspired with something to put it in. Mine is completely stock but rebuilt, and runs great on a stand. We know that some of the Lincolns had these monsters, how much front-end/suspension beef up do you think would be required for an install on a F-1?...slim
click on this link to see a quick video of mine running on a stand.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice truck. Now he can pull even bigger stumps!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the interesting backstory Dale. Very cool truck!

Quick Reply: Monster 337 ci flattie in '53 (pics)