Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
danielwd danielwd is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 85
danielwd is starting off with a positive reputation.
SUCCESS!!!! - Catalytic Converter

Wow what a guessing game it has been! Just for people info., in case they run into a similar situation. I have a 94 Ranger with 175K miles.

Engine had been running rough, changed plugs, wires, checked fuel pressure while changing fuel filter. Changed timing belt and drive belt and thermostat.

Engine still running rough, like either fuel injectors bad or vacuum leak. Engine would run rough at low idle and wobble, no power during acceleration. Engine would sometimes stall at low idle.

Changed catalytic converter, which was a guess, and lo and behold if that engine aint purrin' like a kitten.

However, I have an exhaust leak at the coverter/muffler intersection. I cant seem to get them lined up right.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket at the converter/muffler connection? There are bolts with springs with a nut that goes on the other side onto and through the bolt. But Autozone told me there is a gasket at the exhaust manifold to converter intersection, but NOT at the converter to muffler intersection. It looked there was an old one there that had disinegrated over the years. I can feel exhaust being pushed out at the intersection and I can also hear it.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
powersmoked's Avatar
powersmoked powersmoked is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,689
powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd View Post
Wow what a guessing game it has been! Just for people info., in case they run into a similar situation. I have a 94 Ranger with 175K miles.

Engine had been running rough, changed plugs, wires, checked fuel pressure while changing fuel filter. Changed timing belt and drive belt and thermostat.

Engine still running rough, like either fuel injectors bad or vacuum leak. Engine would run rough at low idle and wobble, no power during acceleration. Engine would sometimes stall at low idle.

Changed catalytic converter, which was a guess, and lo and behold if that engine aint purrin' like a kitten.

However, I have an exhaust leak at the coverter/muffler intersection. I cant seem to get them lined up right.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket at the converter/muffler connection? There are bolts with springs with a nut that goes on the other side onto and through the bolt. But Autozone told me there is a gasket at the exhaust manifold to converter intersection, but NOT at the converter to muffler intersection. It looked there was an old one there that had disinegrated over the years. I can feel exhaust being pushed out at the intersection and I can also hear it.
there is a "lead type " gasket between the exhaust pipe and the cat.
__________________
2004 Edge, Ext Cab, 3.0 vin#U, 2wd, M5OD, AC, 100k, chasing a misfire #4, also an occasional P0316.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
03 Maz B23 03 Maz B23 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 903
03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is a gasket . Walker exhaust shows it as part 31372. Try Advance or NAPA.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM
danielwd danielwd is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 85
danielwd is starting off with a positive reputation.
This really pisses me off - why didn't Autozone show one? I done reconnected everything. I'll have to take off the back part and get my hands on that gasket - now freakin' wonder why its leaking exhaust. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
03 Maz B23 03 Maz B23 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 903
03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I checked Advance and they list the Walker part number and also show a Felpro part number 6064. Might want to check to see if they have either in stock. I know all about that gasket as the one on my 03 started leaking in addition to the flange rotting away. Advance carries a two part replacement flange if you ever have to deal with that.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
powersmoked's Avatar
powersmoked powersmoked is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,689
powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It should be similar to this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-31372 it is made of a soft metal. DON'T EVER TAKE WHAT THE AUTOPARTS TELL YOU AS GOSPEL.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
danielwd danielwd is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 85
danielwd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wait a minute ya'll, that donut shaped gasket ya'll are talking about is the EXHAUST FLANGE GASKET that goes from the exhaust manifold to the converter.

I'm looking for a possible gasket that is between the converter and the exaust pipe/muffler. Walker shows this gasket as part #31372.

Is this the same gasket as the "exhaust flange gasket"? Again, felpro part #60641, and Walker # 31372, are for the exhaust flange gasket, not the one I'm looking for, I don't think. Although Walker does show part # 31372 in that location. I wonder if the "exhaust flange gasket" goes in both places?

My leak is on the other side of the converter - the muffler side.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 AM
03 Maz B23 03 Maz B23 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 903
03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am talking about the joint that has two flanges that links the front pipe/catalytic converter to the rear pipe/muffler. The 31372 that Powersmoked showed a pic of is the proper gasket. When you remove the springs/nuts/bolts at flange you will see the front pipe has a ridge the gasket fits on. Install so the taper points toward rear pipe. If you want to view the Walker catalog here is a link. Click catalog on left side, click exhaust system option in middle of page and input truck inf. On the picture that shows up you will see the gasket number in the pic in the location it fits.I had leak in same spot so I know exactly what you are talking about.You are getting confused on part description (exhaust flange gasket) which is what you want. You are confusing it with (exhaust manifold gasket) which is what you don't want.

Walker Exhaust Solutions From The Industry Leader
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
danielwd danielwd is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 85
danielwd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 Maz B23 View Post
I am talking about the joint that has two flanges that links the front pipe/catalytic converter to the rear pipe/muffler. The 31372 that Powersmoked showed a pic of is the proper gasket. When you remove the springs/nuts/bolts at flange you will see the front pipe has a ridge the gasket fits on. Install so the taper points toward rear pipe. If you want to view the Walker catalog here is a link. Click catalog on left side, click exhaust system option in middle of page and input truck inf. On the picture that shows up you will see the gasket number in the pic in the location it fits.I had leak in same spot so I know exactly what you are talking about.You are getting confused on part description (exhaust flange gasket) which is what you want. You are confusing it with (exhaust manifold gasket) which is what you don't want.

Walker Exhaust Solutions From The Industry Leader
Thanks for the info. I had already viewed the 31372 part at Walker, and the pic shows the gasket perfectly in the same location I am talking about.

What I think is happening is that the same gasket that goes between the converter and exhaust manifold is the same gasket that goes on at the converter to rear pipe/muffler. It is a silvery metal gasket that is tapered.

That is what is confusing me. I thought they would be different.

But when you say, "exhaust manifold gasket", that strikes me as the gasket that would go between the exhaust side of the engine and the exhaust manifold - right in front of the "heat shield" - actually on the engine. This is another source of confusion for me. In this case then, what is the actual name for the gasket that goes from the converter to the exhaust manifold, up at the top of the converter?

Thanks for your patience, I have a very broad learning curve in these matters!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM
03 Maz B23 03 Maz B23 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 903
03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here is a link to O.E. Ford parts. They show the gasket between front pipe and rear exhaust pipe as ford part 5E241 in pic. Don't see anything in listing for a front gasket. Click on view illustration on left.

1994 Ford Ranger - Exhaust Seal Ring | FordParts.com
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
danielwd danielwd is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 85
danielwd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 Maz B23 View Post
Here is a link to O.E. Ford parts. They show the gasket between front pipe and rear exhaust pipe as ford part 5E241 in pic. Don't see anything in listing for a front gasket. Click on view illustration on left.

1994 Ford Ranger - Exhaust Seal Ring | FordParts.com
Absolutely GREAT link! You are correct, I don't see a gasket up on the front of the converter to exhaust manifold. But there is one there because I saw it when I detached the converter a couple of days ago. It was a donut, silvery looking gasket that looked alot like, if not exactly like, Ford part 5E241. Mine was in pretty good shape and not leaking at all so I left it on there. It looked like it would have been pretty tough to get off.

However, the converter to pipe/muffler connection was so rusted out that I couldn't tell whether there was a gasket in there at all. And of course, Autozone didn't help matters by telling me there was not one back there. That screwed me up!

I think another problem that I'm having with this connection is that the old connection bracket on the exhaust pipe (leading to muffler) is so rusted, that I think it may not be allowing me to butt the exhaust pipe (leading to muffler) against the converter bracket. So even after I put in a gasket, I'm wondering if it will leak.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
danielwd danielwd is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 85
danielwd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guerra International carries Ford Parts and they list 2 parts that include the "5E241". If you put in "5E241" and click "EXPANDED SEARCH" you'll see the 2 gaskets they include with their prices.

Search Guerra International's In Stock Parts

It gives :

6L2Z5E241AA for $7.53 and F67Z5E241BA for $10.98, both shown as "gaskets" within the catalytic converter system.

I included this wondering if one is for the top of the converter - going to the exhaust manifold and the other is for the back of the converter - going to the exhaust pipe/muffler.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 AM
powersmoked's Avatar
powersmoked powersmoked is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,689
powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd View Post
Guerra International carries Ford Parts and they list 2 parts that include the "5E241". If you put in "5E241" and click "EXPANDED SEARCH" you'll see the 2 gaskets they include with their prices.

Search Guerra International's In Stock Parts

It gives :

6L2Z5E241AA for $7.53 and F67Z5E241BA for $10.98, both shown as "gaskets" within the catalytic converter system.

I included this wondering if one is for the top of the converter - going to the exhaust manifold and the other is for the back of the converter - going to the exhaust pipe/muffler.
you never told us what engine you have.........the 2.3/2.5 has 2" exhaust, the 4.0 might have a 2.5" exhaust.....
__________________
2004 Edge, Ext Cab, 3.0 vin#U, 2wd, M5OD, AC, 100k, chasing a misfire #4, also an occasional P0316.


Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
danielwd danielwd is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 85
danielwd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersmoked View Post
you never told us what engine you have.........the 2.3/2.5 has 2" exhaust, the 4.0 might have a 2.5" exhaust.....
That makes sense - I have a 2.3L.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
03 Maz B23 03 Maz B23 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 903
03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If the flange is rotted away you have two choices. Replace the system from that joint back or buy a split flange. I chose the Walker split flange from Advance as the rest of system seemed solid and not it in need of replacement. They offer different size flange kits so make sure get right size.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
2001, bolt, catalytic, converter, escape, flange, flanges, ford, kit, muffler, pipe, ranger, repair, size, sizes, split, tail

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup