1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

SUCCESS!!!! - Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
danielwd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUCCESS!!!! - Catalytic Converter

Wow what a guessing game it has been! Just for people info., in case they run into a similar situation. I have a 94 Ranger with 175K miles.

Engine had been running rough, changed plugs, wires, checked fuel pressure while changing fuel filter. Changed timing belt and drive belt and thermostat.

Engine still running rough, like either fuel injectors bad or vacuum leak. Engine would run rough at low idle and wobble, no power during acceleration. Engine would sometimes stall at low idle.

Changed catalytic converter, which was a guess, and lo and behold if that engine aint purrin' like a kitten.

However, I have an exhaust leak at the coverter/muffler intersection. I cant seem to get them lined up right.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket at the converter/muffler connection? There are bolts with springs with a nut that goes on the other side onto and through the bolt. But Autozone told me there is a gasket at the exhaust manifold to converter intersection, but NOT at the converter to muffler intersection. It looked there was an old one there that had disinegrated over the years. I can feel exhaust being pushed out at the intersection and I can also hear it.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by danielwd
Wow what a guessing game it has been! Just for people info., in case they run into a similar situation. I have a 94 Ranger with 175K miles.

Engine had been running rough, changed plugs, wires, checked fuel pressure while changing fuel filter. Changed timing belt and drive belt and thermostat.

Engine still running rough, like either fuel injectors bad or vacuum leak. Engine would run rough at low idle and wobble, no power during acceleration. Engine would sometimes stall at low idle.

Changed catalytic converter, which was a guess, and lo and behold if that engine aint purrin' like a kitten.

However, I have an exhaust leak at the coverter/muffler intersection. I cant seem to get them lined up right.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a gasket at the converter/muffler connection? There are bolts with springs with a nut that goes on the other side onto and through the bolt. But Autozone told me there is a gasket at the exhaust manifold to converter intersection, but NOT at the converter to muffler intersection. It looked there was an old one there that had disinegrated over the years. I can feel exhaust being pushed out at the intersection and I can also hear it.
there is a "lead type " gasket between the exhaust pipe and the cat.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
There is a gasket . Walker exhaust shows it as part 31372. Try Advance or NAPA.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM
danielwd
Junior User
This really pisses me off - why didn't Autozone show one? I done reconnected everything. I'll have to take off the back part and get my hands on that gasket - now freakin' wonder why its leaking exhaust. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
I checked Advance and they list the Walker part number and also show a Felpro part number 6064. Might want to check to see if they have either in stock. I know all about that gasket as the one on my 03 started leaking in addition to the flange rotting away. Advance carries a two part replacement flange if you ever have to deal with that.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
It should be similar to this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-31372 it is made of a soft metal. DON'T EVER TAKE WHAT THE AUTOPARTS TELL YOU AS GOSPEL.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
danielwd
Junior User
Wait a minute ya'll, that donut shaped gasket ya'll are talking about is the EXHAUST FLANGE GASKET that goes from the exhaust manifold to the converter.

I'm looking for a possible gasket that is between the converter and the exaust pipe/muffler. Walker shows this gasket as part #31372.

Is this the same gasket as the "exhaust flange gasket"? Again, felpro part #60641, and Walker # 31372, are for the exhaust flange gasket, not the one I'm looking for, I don't think. Although Walker does show part # 31372 in that location. I wonder if the "exhaust flange gasket" goes in both places?

My leak is on the other side of the converter - the muffler side.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
I am talking about the joint that has two flanges that links the front pipe/catalytic converter to the rear pipe/muffler. The 31372 that Powersmoked showed a pic of is the proper gasket. When you remove the springs/nuts/bolts at flange you will see the front pipe has a ridge the gasket fits on. Install so the taper points toward rear pipe. If you want to view the Walker catalog here is a link. Click catalog on left side, click exhaust system option in middle of page and input truck inf. On the picture that shows up you will see the gasket number in the pic in the location it fits.I had leak in same spot so I know exactly what you are talking about.You are getting confused on part description (exhaust flange gasket) which is what you want. You are confusing it with (exhaust manifold gasket) which is what you don't want.

Walker Exhaust Solutions From The Industry Leader

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
danielwd
Junior User
Originally Posted by 03 Maz B23
I am talking about the joint that has two flanges that links the front pipe/catalytic converter to the rear pipe/muffler. The 31372 that Powersmoked showed a pic of is the proper gasket. When you remove the springs/nuts/bolts at flange you will see the front pipe has a ridge the gasket fits on. Install so the taper points toward rear pipe. If you want to view the Walker catalog here is a link. Click catalog on left side, click exhaust system option in middle of page and input truck inf. On the picture that shows up you will see the gasket number in the pic in the location it fits.I had leak in same spot so I know exactly what you are talking about.You are getting confused on part description (exhaust flange gasket) which is what you want. You are confusing it with (exhaust manifold gasket) which is what you don't want.

Walker Exhaust Solutions From The Industry Leader
Thanks for the info. I had already viewed the 31372 part at Walker, and the pic shows the gasket perfectly in the same location I am talking about.

What I think is happening is that the same gasket that goes between the converter and exhaust manifold is the same gasket that goes on at the converter to rear pipe/muffler. It is a silvery metal gasket that is tapered.

That is what is confusing me. I thought they would be different.

But when you say, "exhaust manifold gasket", that strikes me as the gasket that would go between the exhaust side of the engine and the exhaust manifold - right in front of the "heat shield" - actually on the engine. This is another source of confusion for me. In this case then, what is the actual name for the gasket that goes from the converter to the exhaust manifold, up at the top of the converter?

Thanks for your patience, I have a very broad learning curve in these matters!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Here is a link to O.E. Ford parts. They show the gasket between front pipe and rear exhaust pipe as ford part 5E241 in pic. Don't see anything in listing for a front gasket. Click on view illustration on left.

1994 Ford Ranger - Exhaust Seal Ring | FordParts.com

Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
danielwd
Junior User
Originally Posted by 03 Maz B23
Here is a link to O.E. Ford parts. They show the gasket between front pipe and rear exhaust pipe as ford part 5E241 in pic. Don't see anything in listing for a front gasket. Click on view illustration on left.

1994 Ford Ranger - Exhaust Seal Ring | FordParts.com
Absolutely GREAT link! You are correct, I don't see a gasket up on the front of the converter to exhaust manifold. But there is one there because I saw it when I detached the converter a couple of days ago. It was a donut, silvery looking gasket that looked alot like, if not exactly like, Ford part 5E241. Mine was in pretty good shape and not leaking at all so I left it on there. It looked like it would have been pretty tough to get off.

However, the converter to pipe/muffler connection was so rusted out that I couldn't tell whether there was a gasket in there at all. And of course, Autozone didn't help matters by telling me there was not one back there. That screwed me up!

I think another problem that I'm having with this connection is that the old connection bracket on the exhaust pipe (leading to muffler) is so rusted, that I think it may not be allowing me to butt the exhaust pipe (leading to muffler) against the converter bracket. So even after I put in a gasket, I'm wondering if it will leak.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
danielwd
Junior User
Guerra International carries Ford Parts and they list 2 parts that include the "5E241". If you put in "5E241" and click "EXPANDED SEARCH" you'll see the 2 gaskets they include with their prices.

Search Guerra International's In Stock Parts

It gives :

6L2Z5E241AA for $7.53 and F67Z5E241BA for $10.98, both shown as "gaskets" within the catalytic converter system.

I included this wondering if one is for the top of the converter - going to the exhaust manifold and the other is for the back of the converter - going to the exhaust pipe/muffler.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by danielwd
Guerra International carries Ford Parts and they list 2 parts that include the "5E241". If you put in "5E241" and click "EXPANDED SEARCH" you'll see the 2 gaskets they include with their prices.

Search Guerra International's In Stock Parts

It gives :

6L2Z5E241AA for $7.53 and F67Z5E241BA for $10.98, both shown as "gaskets" within the catalytic converter system.

I included this wondering if one is for the top of the converter - going to the exhaust manifold and the other is for the back of the converter - going to the exhaust pipe/muffler.
you never told us what engine you have.........the 2.3/2.5 has 2" exhaust, the 4.0 might have a 2.5" exhaust.....

Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
danielwd
Junior User
Originally Posted by powersmoked
you never told us what engine you have.........the 2.3/2.5 has 2" exhaust, the 4.0 might have a 2.5" exhaust.....
That makes sense - I have a 2.3L.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
If the flange is rotted away you have two choices. Replace the system from that joint back or buy a split flange. I chose the Walker split flange from Advance as the rest of system seemed solid and not it in need of replacement. They offer different size flange kits so make sure get right size.

Quick Reply: SUCCESS!!!! - Catalytic Converter