Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

Detroit news artical

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Detroit news artical

I dont know how any of you will feel about this, but there is a proposal in right now to stop some types of usage of State Forest. Things they want to restrict is snowmobiling and Hunting, due to noise.

I personally think that if you didnt like the damn noise, you should not have chosen to live there. Thats my thoughts, and so far it is 60% of the people who have voted thus far.

Here is your chance to at least put a vote in, not that it will count, except maybe put a shot over the bow of those who make the rules.

I will post a link here shortly. My mouse just took a ..

http://www.detnews.com/section/local

Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Mouse turds are a PITA.

My take, probably not yours because you aren't a land owner.....

As people move away from urban areas, they want the peace and tranquility the country offers. Consequently, snowmobiling and hunting disrupt that.

I believe the problem is hunters and especially snowmobilers trepassing on privately owned land, not in legal, designated areas.

People need to understand and respect the rights of property owners.

We have that problem here. This year I had to chase down and tell hunters to leave my property. It's clearly posted no hunting without permission but that didn't stop them. They never asked, just assumed that because it's farmland and woods, they could hunt. That's not the case. Same with snowmobilers riding on planted cropland.

It amounts to criminal trespass and something I will not tolerate. In fact, I would prosecute snowmobilers and hunters (if after one warning they returned) if I caught them.

Snowmobilers especially are damaging. Snowmachines do irrepairable damage to winter wheat.

It's all about respecting the rights of others, something that people have apparently forgotten.

I own and pay property taxes on my land and if I chose to hunt it (and I do), that's my right, not the rights of everyone. If I want to hunt on others' property, I ask permission.

I suspect the bill was introduced just because of the above. While I do not agree with it, I fully understand the basis for it.

Remember, the wanton actions of a few can destroy the rights of many.

Think about that next time you ride or hunt.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
He wasn't talking about people hunting/riding on private property, but state land. I feel your pain, as I live in the country, own property, and pay taxes.

But state land is another topic all together. Snowmobiling and hunting are a huge revenue base for the state. And God knows this crap hole state needs all the revenue it can get. Well now that Genital Grandmole is gone, maybe we can climb out of the pit, but I digress.

Let 'em hunt, let 'em ride, let 'em four wheel.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
I to have property, and yes, I have tresspassers, it is the fools that live in the area that feel free to walk it, or drive their crap across it, because they live in the area, they feel entitled. I have actual tracks from their off road **** driving on to my land from their homes. I am now hanging stuff about neck high for when they are riding their equipment, with a no trespassing sign on it, SO yes, I have those issues as well.

Back to the state land, that is crap, we had a out door shooting range, it had been there for 25 years. People started building around it, and managed to shut it down becasue of the noise..

Perhaps people need to be aware of their choices, and not hold others accountable for their mistakes, if you dont like the noise, then dont move there.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
In the news last summer, people were complaining about a nearby dairy farm and it's 'smell' Well the funny thing is, that farm had been there since the 50's. And this new 'subdivision' is about a year old. They knowingly built their large homes right next to each other as close as they could get them downwind from the farm, and complained to the news that it was the Farmer who had to do something. On a positive note, the farmer actually started spreading more manure near the subdivision... good for him.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Originally Posted by SDElwood
In the news last summer, people were complaining about a nearby dairy farm and it's 'smell' Well the funny thing is, that farm had been there since the 50's. And this new 'subdivision' is about a year old. They knowingly built their large homes right next to each other as close as they could get them downwind from the farm, and complained to the news that it was the Farmer who had to do something. On a positive note, the farmer actually started spreading more manure near the subdivision... good for him.
Uninformed maybe....

Farming and related activities come under the Michigan Right to Farm Act which governs those activities. Manure handling comes under GAMP (General Acceptable Manure Practices). There are specific regulations governing manure disposal/recycling and specific regulations concerning existing farming operations. One of those concerns exisiting diary operations in populated areas. The farmer had to do nothing. he was there before the homes. That's under Right to Farm.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Originally Posted by just another truck
I to have property, and yes, I have tresspassers, it is the fools that live in the area that feel free to walk it, or drive their crap across it, because they live in the area, they feel entitled. I have actual tracks from their off road **** driving on to my land from their homes. I am now hanging stuff about neck high for when they are riding their equipment, with a no trespassing sign on it, SO yes, I have those issues as well.

Back to the state land, that is crap, we had a out door shooting range, it had been there for 25 years. People started building around it, and managed to shut it down becasue of the noise..

Perhaps people need to be aware of their choices, and not hold others accountable for their mistakes, if you dont like the noise, then dont move there.
I'd be very careful about hanging 'things' neck high.... You accept liability for your actions. While it's criminal trespass, mitigating circumstances can make you the liable party, especially if a good attorney adjudicates the case.

I think the bill encompasses more than state land. It's most likely the property owners adjacent to the land that are being trespassed on and are complaining...and have every right.

In our current society, it's the norm for people to hold others accountable for their actions and then litigate. Just look around. Good example was Granholm blaming Engler for every malady, Obama blaming the Republicans and the Republicans blaming the Democrats and no one taking responsibility for their actions.....

While I don't agred with restrictions on state lands, I do agree with people acting responsibly..... I suspect it will be a cold day in hell before that happens, because people, in genral, don't want to and more importantly, don't have to.

I'm sure there is a lot of political posturing going on in Lansing over this and I don't believe it will pass because thr lobbyists will squash it. It's not in the best interests of the majority, especially the residents who derive income from the hunters and snowmobilers, however, that don't eliminate people from taking responsibility for their actions even though they will view it as such.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Not_His_F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we snowmobiled we didnt go into Peoples yard unless we had too and we were as carefull as we could.
Now my yard is the local SPIN out your Track when the Weekenders come up.

but on Stateland sorry it should be open to ALL......

Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip
I'd be very careful about hanging 'things' neck high.... You accept liability for your actions. While it's criminal trespass, mitigating circumstances can make you the liable party, especially if a good attorney adjudicates the case.

I think the bill encompasses more than state land. It's most likely the property owners adjacent to the land that are being trespassed on and are complaining...and have every right.

In our current society, it's the norm for people to hold others accountable for their actions and then litigate. Just look around. Good example was Granholm blaming Engler for every malady, Obama blaming the Republicans and the Republicans blaming the Democrats and no one taking responsibility for their actions.....

While I don't agred with restrictions on state lands, I do agree with people acting responsibly..... I suspect it will be a cold day in hell before that happens, because people, in genral, don't want to and more importantly, don't have to.

I'm sure there is a lot of political posturing going on in Lansing over this and I don't believe it will pass because thr lobbyists will squash it. It's not in the best interests of the majority, especially the residents who derive income from the hunters and snowmobilers, however, that don't eliminate people from taking responsibility for their actions even though they will view it as such.
I agree, people no lnoger take responsibility for their own actions, and we have made it to easy for them to find blame in others.

Even with the tracks coming from the neighbors yard, leading to mine, witht he addtion of No Tresspassing Signs, the local Sherifs Department would do nothing for me. I quote " There is nothing I can do until the person has been caught on the property and warned by a uniformed officer" Sherrifs Deputy, Clair County..

When I spoke to my younger brother, sadly he agreed with that statement. Based on his reading of the law. ALthough he said normally he would handle it slightly different.

I dont know that you are correct with your reading of the artical though..just a thought here, as much as the news likes to be critical of Hunters, or as much as they like to sensationalize the actions of Dummmazzs, they would have been all over that portion of the report. I feel they would have hung most of the report on that tresspassing, or Hunters on their property, and it would have been spun as "risking lives by hunting close to or on others property". This did not seem to take that spin..

Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
on the 80 acres we get trespassers....you just have to know how to deal with them...we had a small wood burner stolen out of one of our hunting blinds....we know who stole it and confronted them(******* neighbor property owners) in which they denied....so early fall we(my Dad and I) did a little trespassing and found it set up in a blind of theirs...Dad wanted the harsh approach to cut it out with a chainsaw....I talked him out of it and shoved 2 rolls of black jacks up the stove pipe.....opening day that year at 6am sounded like a Detroit drive by....next morning the stove was sitting at our front gate

Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Thats great!!! Although I would have been with your dad.. I am glad you had the cool head..

Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah, I don't think I would have been nice on that one either. Not a fan of thieves or tresspassing.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by just another truck
Thats great!!! Although I would have been with your dad.. I am glad you had the cool head..
Originally Posted by Toyman
yeah, I don't think I would have been nice on that one either. Not a fan of thieves or tresspassing.
At the time it was mid Aug. and it was about a 1 mile hike through swamp to carry it out...so it would not have been fun with a 200+lb woodburner.....plus my Dad said he was laughing so hard when he heard them fire crackers go off it was worth the wait.

Needless to say no more problems with the neighbors ever since

Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Not_His_F250
Posting Guru
lol thats funny..... thats cool they brought it back