Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Posting Guru

guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.
tips and advice for a new guy needed

For a few years I have wanted to be able to make my own bio. Now the first issue comes to mind is...will the 6.0 run on it and not go to pieces?. I had a 7.3 and it ran great on pump bio. I have always liked the fuel meister 2 system, how good is this system? pro and cons? do I really save any money doing it?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie&co View Post
For a few years I have wanted to be able to make my own bio. Now the first issue comes to mind is...will the 6.0 run on it and not go to pieces?. I had a 7.3 and it ran great on pump bio. I have always liked the fuel meister 2 system, how good is this system? pro and cons? do I really save any money doing it?
As long as you make quality fuel, the 6.0 will be fine. I know quite a few 6.0 owners burning homebrew with no fuel related issues. Fuelmeister cons are: 1.) expensive 2.) plastic. Making bio for me is not really about saving money, even though my current raw cost per gallon is about $.75. I think about it like growing your own vegetables. Raw cost is a fraction of grocery store bought produce, and way better.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Posting Guru

guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.
What is wrong with it being of plastic?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
My concern lies in the fact that if there was ever a fire, a bad problem would become much worse. Imagine a processor full of methanol laden hot oil, gushing out the side of a molten plastic cone bottom tank processor which ruptured due to a small fire which started from an electrical short from a chafed cord which ignited some spilled methanol on the ground. Suddenly the fire spreads as far as the oil is traveling.

My processor is made from a steel 55 gallon drum, and while a similar scenario with a small fire could just as easily occur, at least it would not be compounded with a lot of additional fuel spreading everywhere. I am always within 50 feet of my processor whenever I am reacting a batch anyway.

The whole process of making biodiesel involves plenty of risk as it is. Why add another unsafe component?
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Search the web. There are lots of stories of plastic tanks catching fire. My whole system is steel only, no plastic tanks, and all steel piping. We had a bio fire here in Oregon a couple of years ago that started with a short in one of those HF water pumps that caused a small fire and melted a hole in his cone bottom tank and burnt the guys whole house down. Safety first!!!!

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Senior User

bradyracing is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got a 100k on a 6.0 running mostly b100 and lost one injector at 200k. My testing of if the 6.0 will run b100 is complete in my opinion. It will. 200k miles and I've lost the same or less amount of injectors as somebody running D2 at 200k.
And plastic reactors suck or plastic anything having to do with making bio for that matter. Stainless tanks and tig welded stainless plumbing is the way to go.
http://community.webshots.com/user/b...host=community
Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 AM
New User

PermalockInc is starting off with a positive reputation.
(First time on a forum) I Hope this is the right place to post. I live in Canada and drive an 08 f350 super duty diesel. Ive been interested in making my own diesel and learning the process. But im not sure where to start. Please help.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Welcome to the forum! Do lots of reading, and see if you can find a good source of oil first. Next look up the "Dr. Pepper method" and make a small batch just to see how the process goes. Lots of good info on this forum to help you get started.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Senior User

natew is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ive been making my own for over three years and have no problems. I made the "appleseed processor" from a water heater. Still working great. My only advice is instead of water washing the bio, use the dry wash method with wood chips. I think the bio is cleaner, much less hands on time, and it will save money by not using any water or electricty to dry it. I wish I would have done this from the begining.

Last edited by natew; 03-03-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels