Good info about throttle body spacer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info about throttle body spacer.

I have an 89 f150 300 i6 4x4 mazda 5 speed, 3.55s, and I run 31sx10.5 all terrain tires. The only thing that is not stock is the 40s series single in and out flowmaster, drop in k&n, and an airaid throttle body spacer. I also have a brush guard, headache rack and a tool box that is loaded down. (The pic is older and I will get a new one up soon.)

Before I put the spacer in I would get maybe 14mpg mostly 13-13.5 on a good day with the wind to my back. I filled up today and I got 14.5mpg. My speeds ranged from 25mph school zone to 65mph highway. I wasn't driving real hard but if I had to get up and go I did. The spacer definitely increased my torque, mpg, throttle response and over all performance. It says the effective range for it is 800rpm and 300rpm.

Just to let yall know it worked for me!!! Comments and questions are welcome!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Hunt89! Sounds like you have a really nice truck! I'd like to see updated full size pictures if you upload them.

I'm glad to hear about the throttle spacer. How do you install a throttle body spacer? Thanks for the information!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Hunt89
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Hi Hunt89! Sounds like you have a really nice truck! I'd like to see updated full size pictures if you upload them.

I'm glad to hear about the throttle spacer. How do you install a throttle body spacer? Thanks for the information!
Thanks I will try to get some up pics up today and an exhaust clip.

You separate the throttle body from the the intake manifold and just stick it in there. It comes with all the hardware you need. I will also get pics of the spacers and the instructions.
Its not a huge difference but you can definitely tell the difference once you install it. And it looks cool

Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Hunt89
Thanks I will try to get some up pics up today and an exhaust clip.

You separate the throttle body from the the intake manifold and just stick it in there. It comes with all the hardware you need. I will also get pics of the spacers and the instructions.
Its not a huge difference but you can definitely tell the difference once you install it. And it looks cool
Okay thanks bud, please get some of those pictures of the throttle body spacer for me. It's something I've researched before but not too deeply. I've thought about it but I have also been told it doesn't do much good.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
Ok this is a little embarrassing. How do I upload the pictures on to a thread?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
.... It's something I've researched before but not too deeply. I've thought about it but I have also been told it doesn't do much good.
Here is a link where I bought it. Airaid - Product Search

I don't think you would be able to tell that much of a difference if you already have a hot roded truck. I thought it was a load of crap when I first saw it in the LMC book. I talked to a guy that put one one his jeep that had a i6 in it and he said that it worked for him, so after that and going through almost 500 reviews I decided to try it out for my self.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Ok this is a little embarrassing. How do I upload the pictures on to a thread?
Nothing embarrassing about it bub.

Here's what I do:

Upload photo's to Photobucket

Click on "Direct Link" on the picture you wish to show off.

On this website, when making a post, do not click on "quick reply". Click on the one that gives you all of the icons.

The small icon on top below the arrows, the yellow square with a mountain and sun. Click on that.

Delete the HTTP code already in the bar that pops up. Paste the direct link into the bar. Submit.

Very simple!

Here is a link where I bought it. Airaid - Product Search

I don't think you would be able to tell that much of a difference if you already have a hot roded truck. I thought it was a load of crap when I first saw it in the LMC book. I talked to a guy that put one one his jeep that had a i6 in it and he said that it worked for him, so after that and going through almost 500 reviews I decided to try it out for my self.
Thanks amigo. I appreciate the link!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
Old 02-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
[quote=6CylBill;9940012]Nothing embarrassing about it bub.

Here's what I do:

Upload photo's to Photobucket

Click on "Direct Link" on the picture you wish to show off.

On this website, when making a post, do not click on "quick reply". Click on the one that gives you all of the icons.

The small icon on top below the arrows, the yellow square with a mountain and sun. Click on that.

Delete the HTTP code already in the bar that pops up. Paste the direct link into the bar. Submit.

Very simple!

Thanks for the help 6cylBill

Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Beautiful truck man, she's a looker. I love that color! Re-size your pictures next time. You can do this very easily from Photobucket.

So you're from Texas? What part? I grew up in Orange, spittin' distance from LA.

BTW, thanks for the TBS pictures. And I dig the cammo interior. I have my truck done in cammo also!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
Beautiful truck man, she's a looker. I love that color! Re-size your pictures next time. You can do this very easily from Photobucket.

So you're from Texas? What part? I grew up in Orange, spittin' distance from LA.

BTW, thanks for the TBS pictures. And I dig the cammo interior. I have my truck done in cammo also!
Thank you. It didnt have anything on it when I got it the day I turned 16. (im 19 now). I am slowly trying to restore my truck. You got one heck of a truck your self. Mine needs a new paint job bad. I live a hour south of Houston in Brazoria. I am about 20 min from the coast.

No problem, anything to help. Thanks those were custom made for my truck. Nice I though about getting covers for the back seat but I like the original looks too.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Your truck doesn't look like she needs a paint job! I love that black.

I bought my truck when I was about 16 too! My truck also had the 3.08 gear ratio. Great for the highway but I knew I wasn't going to keep the stock sized tires so I re-geared the ole' girl for the same size tires you have.

And thanks for the compliments buddy. I love my truck like I would love a horse. I think you know what that feels like by the looks of your own rig. How do you like that 300 5-Spd combo? I bet she runs pretty good with the 3.55's.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Any ideas on the theory behind the throttle body spacer? What does it do? What makes it work?

That's a hefty price tag at $140, but honestly, if it works, you'll make it back in no time.

A 1 mpg gain, going from 13 to 14mpg, at today's gas prices, would only take 8500 miles to pay for itself. After that, it's all savings.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
Your truck doesn't look like she needs a paint job! I love that black.

I bought my truck when I was about 16 too! My truck also had the 3.08 gear ratio. Great for the highway but I knew I wasn't going to keep the stock sized tires so I re-geared the ole' girl for the same size tires you have.

And thanks for the compliments buddy. I love my truck like I would love a horse. I think you know what that feels like by the looks of your own rig. How do you like that 300 5-Spd combo? I bet she runs pretty good with the 3.55's.
My mom and dad bought it new back in a 89 so it has had only one driver. If you get up close you can tell she needs a paint job bad. I ran 31s with my 3.08 gears and it pulled everything I asked it to but now that I have those 3.55s it is a lot more powerful and my mpg improved too!!! Yes I know what you mean, I don't ever plan on selling my truck. Its a blast to drive with this combo. Plenty of power and I get decent mgp. I did not believe everyone that said this truck has the power it does. The only thing I couldn't pull was a stump out of the ground and that was because I couldn't get enough traction lol.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Hunt89
Senior User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Any ideas on the theory behind the throttle body spacer? What does it do? What makes it work?

That's a hefty price tag at $140, but honestly, if it works, you'll make it back in no time.

A 1 mpg gain, going from 13 to 14mpg, at today's gas prices, would only take 8500 miles to pay for itself. After that, it's all savings.
This is straight of the airaid site.
"The PowerAid® was developed to enhance your vehicle’s off idle to mid range performance and efficiency. The unique “Helix Bore” design of the PowerAid creates a spinning action of the incoming air. As air passes through your throttle body, this helical effect causes the air molecules to organize and maintain high velocity. The organization and high velocity of the air is extremely beneficial because it helps to provide a superior atomized mixture of fuel and air all the way into the combustion chamber. The benefits you will see are tremendous torque gains between 800 to 2500 RPM, and potential increases in your fuel economy, depending on driving conditions."

On the box it claims it increases 21 Ft lbs and up to 4 mpg. I'm sure I would get better mpg if I drove more like I suppose to lol.
I think you can find it cheaper else where but the airaid site said if I don't like it send it back life time no hassle warranty, so I wanted to play it safe and buy it through them.

Quick Reply: Good info about throttle body spacer.