Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Senior User

Cruickie is starting off with a positive reputation.
UHaul Truck Parts (Battery Cable Ends)

Question from the following link:

http://epc.uhaul.com/LinkOne/Viewer/...ok=u-haul/ford

1 KP151084 BATTERY CABLE END, RH POSITIVE (ONLY) 9.59
2 235282 BATTERY CABLE END, LH POSITIVE (ONLY) 13.81
3 235282 BATTERY CABLE END, RH NEGATIVE (ONLY) 13.81
4 23528 BATTERY CABLE END, LH NEGATIVE (ONLY) 11.64

I want to change my battery cables at some point and would like to make them a bit bigger (not unusual to get quite cold here in the winter...colder than -10*C (14*F) and sometimes -30*C (-22*F) with the windchill) so I figure bigger couldn't hurt!
I am curious if anyone knows the deal with the above parts. I've looked around a bit and it's hard to find anything locally and these are likely made to fit the OEM size cable. If that is the case, would it be possible to drill them out or something (just a few sizes bigger) to make them work? I assume they are crimped on the cables in some way...

thanks in advance everyone!
1972 Land Rover Series 3, 88
1980 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD
2011 Honda Fit (The practical (and reliable) option)
Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Drilling them out won't work. They are only as thick as they need to be for the specified wire size.
You can probably find them cheaper some place else online. The only one that is special, is the double ended one on the passenger side positive terminal. The others just happen to face specific directions for the convenience of design.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Post Fiend

PLC7.3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cruickie I think you will be fine with the OEM one's. Just keep them clean and tight and watch for green scum on/in the wiring.

Like Alaska, I get -45F here in Manitoba and never had a failure to start unless I caused it. Failure to change oil grade to 10-30 is usually the killer, NOT plugging in the block heater certainly helps too. Replacing "batteries" (2)... every 5 years is a must.....I use Ford only!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Senior User

76ranger has a great reputation on FTE.76ranger has a great reputation on FTE.76ranger has a great reputation on FTE.76ranger has a great reputation on FTE.76ranger has a great reputation on FTE.
i got mine from advance auto parts for abourt 3 bucks each, there just a shaped hunk of lead its prety hard to mess someting like that up, so there is no reason to spend 10- 14 bucks a piece for them
88 F350 C&C SCLB 4x4 zf5 460 dually
93 F150 ECLB 4x4 e4od 302 7in lift 35's
76 F150 SCLB 4x4 c6 390fe
Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ranger View Post
i got mine from advance auto parts for abourt 3 bucks each, there just a shaped hunk of lead its prety hard to mess someting like that up, so there is no reason to spend 10- 14 bucks a piece for them
Stock ones are solid copper, not lead. Thats a good part of the price difference.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Senior User

RLDSL is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can get battery cable ends at Napa and most heavy truck supplys and tractor parts stores. Larger marine parts stores will carry them too.

3/0 is a real good size wire to go with any larger and you can't make teh bends. You want tthe largest size you can fit in , it allows the starter to spin faster and not heat up as much
'92 F350 CC Dually, 5speed+3speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, 7.3 Ats Turbo,Hypermax Cowl induction, 4" exhaust, Custom Rodney Red aluminum radiator,MS Tech Fan Clutch, Solid Flywheel w/12 1/4 " Kevlar Clutch, 4.10 ,Western Hauler bed, Air seat,Warn M12000 winch, Bilsteins, Borgeson steering shaft, Aux rear air conditioner.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
if you want to pay big money for cable ends,then do yourself a favor and just get tinned marine copper ends.like RLDSL says at your local marine store.thats what i did and i doubt i payed that much for even those.
i used the open eye type so i could just screw them down on the marine type terminals.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
the only parts i didn't use tinned marine were the terminals.but i keep 'em greased.perhaps i'll changed those to tinned marine grade too someday, but clean lead with loads of grease is good.
20k miles and 1 yr so far,and im trouble free running this type of setup.it's so much more handy to add stuff too as well.i wouldn't go any other way now despite what some people have claimed about this type of setup,im having 0 issues.
connecting stuff since then like my my e-fans,dump bed and plow setup took all of a couple seconds to supply them with juice.
if i don't stop soon,it's gunna start looking like a modern engine bay with more wires than valve cover showing lol.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior User

RLDSL is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yup, that type cable end comes in mighty handy if you decide to upgrade to group 31s batteries too at a later date , then all you have to do is ditch the adapters
'92 F350 CC Dually, 5speed+3speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, 7.3 Ats Turbo,Hypermax Cowl induction, 4" exhaust, Custom Rodney Red aluminum radiator,MS Tech Fan Clutch, Solid Flywheel w/12 1/4 " Kevlar Clutch, 4.10 ,Western Hauler bed, Air seat,Warn M12000 winch, Bilsteins, Borgeson steering shaft, Aux rear air conditioner.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Senior User

Cruickie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys! To be honest I haven't looked into it too much..... but usually things I can find locally are quite a lot more expensive than what I can get online... For example, a set of NEW injectors run $328 plus tax (best price I could find... and from a reputable shop that will pop test my uhaul injectors for FREE) and up around $750 for a rebuilt IP and $60 for the injector install kit...

Have to investigate further! Just seemed like a good price initially!
1972 Land Rover Series 3, 88
1980 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD
2011 Honda Fit (The practical (and reliable) option)
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1997, 73, batteries, battery, cable, cables, diesel, e350, ford, located, positive, powerstroke, truck, turbo, uhaul