1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 F250 front bumper has rust already!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM
noimports
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 F250 front bumper has rust already!

My front bumper is discolored on the inside corners around the tow hooks and the fog lights. I'm in Ohio and we use alot of salt but I've never seen a new bumper rust that quickly. At this point it's not pitted and would rub off with chrome polish but I'm sure it would just come back again. It should be covered under warranty, I haven't been to the dealer yet. Just wondering if this is an isolated case or if anyone else has had the same problem?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
loganworks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a complaint that I have also. Have a 3mo old 2011 F250 and have the same problem with 2500 miles on it. I have cleaned it off and it comes right back. It seems that the chrome must be real thin in this area or perhaps missing on the rear side where you can't see it. I am going to see the dealer next month for my first oil change and will bring it to their attention then. My concern is that it will show serious rust in a short time.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wiped something off my bumper that looked like rust, but talked myself into it just being dirt, Will have to take a closer look. Shouldn't be rusting with only 2500 miles.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Same here - 2011 F-350 delivered in July 2010 (about 7,500 miles on it now) - have had it in snow/salt for about three months (central NY) and the front bumper has rust around the plastic footpad directly below the hood opening and on the inside corners by the hooks. Came on here to see how many other people have been having this problem before I take it to the dealer. I have a 2006 F-350 that I plow with and there's no rust at all on the bumpers (except on the back in a spot where I backed into something).

Old 02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
loganworks
Senior User
There seems to be a trend developing here. There should be no rust showing on trucks this new. The chrome plating certainly does not appear to be of high quality. When I take it in I will try to get a new bumper out of them and if it happens a second time see about a painted one.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 PM
noimports
Senior User
Originally Posted by seville009
Same here - 2011 F-350 delivered in July 2010 (about 7,500 miles on it now) - have had it in snow/salt for about three months (central NY) and the front bumper has rust around the plastic footpad directly below the hood opening and on the inside corners by the hooks. Came on here to see how many other people have been having this problem before I take it to the dealer. I have a 2006 F-350 that I plow with and there's no rust at all on the bumpers (except on the back in a spot where I backed into something).
I know what you mean Seville my Excursion is almost 10 years old and never did this. Sounds like the chrome plating process wasnt very good. Question is, how long will it take for Ford to recognize it and change the process? If we get a new bumper now will the new one do the same thing?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine definitely is rust...What should I do abou this. Contact dealer or go to Ford directly?? Have pictures, but either can't or don't know how to upload!!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM
BA Truck
New User
2011 F-350 Bumper Rust

I have a 2011 F-350 w/6,000 miles, purchased Sep 2010. I noticed discoloration on the left side of the rear bumper. Upon closer loook I saw rust spots coming thru and more rust on the inside edge (that faces forward). It has not been exposed to anything that would cause this. Went to the local Ford dealer. They took pictures, submitted them immediately to Ford and received a reply within minutes. The answer? "Road debris caused it, nothing we can do about it". The folks at the dealer even disagreed but apparently when Ford HQ's made their decision it was final. Road debris does not cause discoloration - only extreme heat or a bad chroming process does. I looked in the warranty booklet and called the Ford Customer Relations Center (800-392-3673) and was given the same answer. My next step is to contact the Better Business Bureau Auto Line that is also in the booklet (800-955-5100). I'll let you know how that works.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:53 PM
wallacemf
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2010 F350 is doing the same thing, bought it new in October 2010, it has 10K miles now. Looks like the same problem is occuring on GM trucks:

http://www.truckforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15532

GM customer service is posting in this thread and is replacing the bumpers on these trucks at no cost. Ford?? What's up??

Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM
jeepman_79
Senior User
SAME HERE !!

Originally Posted by BA Truck
I have a 2011 F-350 w/6,000 miles, purchased Sep 2010. I noticed discoloration on the left side of the rear bumper. Upon closer loook I saw rust spots coming thru and more rust on the inside edge (that faces forward). It has not been exposed to anything that would cause this. Went to the local Ford dealer. They took pictures, submitted them immediately to Ford and received a reply within minutes. The answer? "Road debris caused it, nothing we can do about it". The folks at the dealer even disagreed but apparently when Ford HQ's made their decision it was final. Road debris does not cause discoloration - only extreme heat or a bad chroming process does. I looked in the warranty booklet and called the Ford Customer Relations Center (800-392-3673) and was given the same answer. My next step is to contact the Better Business Bureau Auto Line that is also in the booklet (800-955-5100). I'll let you know how that works.
Last week at the car wash saw discoloration on the front bumper . I got my truck in August have 12,000 mi on it. Thought it was mud but it didn't wipe off . For over $ 50 grand you'd think it would wait a couple years to rust.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Iowa Farmer
New User
Agreed!

IF

Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 AM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 08 has had no problems, but I will not consider a newer truck as long as they are selling this kind of junk! Is Ford trying to get their old rust reputation back? I would shout from the highest hill if it was my truck. Get the news media involved, that may get their attention.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
noimports
Senior User
Originally Posted by BA Truck
Well thats not the answer I expected to hear. What I have is clearly a manufacturer's defect. I never considered anything else. I am 48 years old and have owned dozens of cars and trucks and I have never seen this on a one year old truck. I have owned several new Chevrolets and a few used Fords (I'm not brand retarded, I buy what I like). I havent gone in yet because frankly I'm waiting to see how big the problem is and what Ford is going to do about it. I dont want to get another cheap bumper that will do the same thing. Your answer from Ford makes me rethink my plan. For them to turn this down is completely unacceptable. If I get the same answer I will be rattling some cages. I have a 10 year old Excursion that doesnt look like this. If they dont want to fix it then I can only assume they would rather we all show up at our favorite campground, hunting ground, fishing hole, Nascar race, car show, horse show, country music jam and any other social media where people buy trucks, with a rusted front bumper. Because if they turn this down that is exactly the advertising they will get from me. A few rusted bumpers on brand new trucks will destroy millions of dollars in advertising.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM
tonymansfield
New User
Well guys I also have a new F150. 2010 purchased in August. 10,000 miles my rear bumper and front hooks are rusting. I was able to remove the rust using some clay bar, but I'm sure it will come back. There are small pits now where the rust was. I waxed the bumpers and hooks a couple times, but Ford needs to know they have a real problem and take care of it. This is my first Ford vehicle, always been a GM guy, but love the look of the Ford truck so I thought I'd try one. I'm not liking this!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
It is american auto makes lack of rust protection in new vehicles to keep "costs" down. I have been over this subject many many times. It is pathetic and they should be ashamed to sell what they are selling but people don't seem to care and just keep buying.

Quick Reply: 2010 F250 front bumper has rust already!