1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

203 Degree Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't profess to know everything about everything, but my observations regarding improved heater output and performance were from when I lived in Seattle, a cooler climate. From what I remember hearing at the time, Ford went to the 195° thermostat for emissions reasons. I don't understand the benefit there, but that's what I was told.
To my way of thinking, if the truck was designed to run a 203° thermostat, there might be hidden advantages to staying with it, rather than using a 195°.
To each his own, I guess. Do what makes sense to you.
It's not as big a deal to me as it used to be. I live in San Diego so heater output isn't important, and the truck isn't my primary means of transportation.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wrighton
I drank the "Koolaid" for the 203 degree Thermostat about how much better it was for a 7.3. It's still on my desk as I received it from Dieselsite last week. After 49 bucks IM really wondering if the 203 Versus the 195 is a benifit based on the forum feedback. It takes my truck a good 15 minutes on a 30 degree day to get to the "N" on the temp guage and in the winter that's about as high as it gets. How much difference is 6 degrees that's the question and IM sure Ford engineers changed to 195 for a reason. Let's here some feedback from the 7.3 guys that know everything about everything that matters to a 7.3 Diesel.
The 203 stat was put down by Ford so the engine could meet emissions standards from what I hear. I run a 203 stat. Started out with a Dieselsite stat but then went so far as to change my water pump out to a 95 pump so I could run the 203 stat from any parts store.

Diesels use heat from compression for ignition. It make sense that more heat in the engine will help ignition. I believe the 203 stat is good mod I just don't think I need to pay Dieselsites prices!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Tim,
I hear you.
But for me, I went through 2 of the parts store stats in a month before I went with Dieselsite. Maybe just bad luck for me I don't know, but the DS stat has worked perfectly for almost 2 years now.
If it goes, I'll but another one. I won't mess with the junk from the parts stores anymore.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Tim,
I hear you.
But for me, I went through 2 of the parts store stats in a month before I went with Dieselsite. Maybe just bad luck for me I don't know, but the DS stat has worked perfectly for almost 2 years now.
If it goes, I'll but another one. I won't mess with the junk from the parts stores anymore.
I have used Napa stats exclusively for all the years (5 or 6) that I have owned a PSD with exception of 1 year that I ran the Dieselsite stat. My water pump went out so I decided to change over to the 95 water pump to use the Napa stat again. I install Napa stats in my customers trucks too. Never been a problem that has been brought to my attention. Where did your parts store stats come from?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Failure rate of the stant is high.
On another note the hotter bore will wear less than
the colder bore.

Page download here now takes forever as popup blockers fight!

B

Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Tim,
First one from A-zone lasted 2 days.
Second one from NAPA lasted 2 weeks or so.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I'll add my .02 worth to this conversation.

I live in Idaho...the Southwestern part, but it still gets below freezing during the winter months on a regular basis.

With the 195* stat, I'd be lucky to see the temp gauge get to the bottom of the normal range during the winter. This is on a 23 mile one-way trip to work with about half the miles on the interstate. My EBPV was activating at 55 MPH. I unplugged it. Slight increase in MPG, but not much and the heater / defroster output was warm, but nothing to brag about.

Installed the 203* stat (from Dieselsite - been over a year now with no problems) and plugged in the EBPV. Temp gauge reads between the "M" and "A" now, much better heater / defroster output, EBPV not as active as it was, MPG is better now, engine runs smoother and I have no complaints about this stat.

I realize it's only an 8* difference in T-Stat temperature rating, but I believe it is worth it. If I need to replace the water pump in the future, I may consider installing the '95 unit as I am a die-hard NAPA fan as well. I've been using their parts since before I could drive and see no reason to stop using their parts.

For me and my truck, the cost difference of the 203* stat is not an issue. Dieselsite treated me fairly and honestly. If I need another 203* stat, I will not hesitate to call Dieselsite and order one from them again.

With my '97, I cannot get a 203* stat from any place local. No one carries the long-stem T-Stat that I need, so I buy where the part is available. It would be nice to see the price come down, but that's because I'm a consumer, not a business owner. I'm all for businesses making a profit, because that's the American way. As long as the parts meet or exceed my expectations and issues are corrected quickly, I will continue to be a customer of that business.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Major Marvin
Elder User
Since I live in an area that gets very hot and very cold, will the 203* Stat be to hot for the hot high desert near Santa Fe, NM?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM
DIESELSITE
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I install Napa stats in my customers trucks too. Never been a problem that has been brought to my attention.
I hope you mean your changing out pumps to 95s in order to use those stats. What you do in your own truck is your business and I understand people have the right to make their own choices, but I hope the customer knows he's getting the wrong stat if not.

And, don't get me wrong, I honestly don't care that you do or dont run our stat, but people reading your post need to understand why we made the new style, otherwise they could have just bought one at an auto parts store.

More than 1 guy has lost an engine due to using the IH stat in a 96 up water pump. It doesn't properly divert coolant flow and will cause uneven heat distribution in the block.

Another note: I publicly battled a member on one of the boards for years with him constantly telling all that would listen about loosing several engines due to him running the 203 stat. It was in fact a napa 203. He didn't know there was a difference. So, I hate seeing ANYONE get the wrong stat as when they cause an issue, they will assume all 203s are created equal.

Bob

Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DIESELSITE
I hope you mean your changing out pumps to 95s in order to use those stats. What you do in your own truck is your business and I understand people have the right to make their own choices, but I hope the customer knows he's getting the wrong stat if not.

And, don't get me wrong, I honestly don't care that you do or dont run our stat, but people reading your post need to understand why we made the new style, otherwise they could have just bought one at an auto parts store.

More than 1 guy has lost an engine due to using the IH stat in a 96 up water pump. It doesn't properly divert coolant flow and will cause uneven heat distribution in the block.

Another note: I publicly battled a member on one of the boards for years with him constantly telling all that would listen about loosing several engines due to him running the 203 stat. It was in fact a napa 203. He didn't know there was a difference. So, I hate seeing ANYONE get the wrong stat as when they cause an issue, they will assume all 203s are created equal.
No offence but...
Your point?
Your Trolling with that post IMO.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 AM
johnbrown
Junior User
Hi, i understand the reason for the 203* t/s to get engine hotter,but could you do the same thing by putting a cover in front of radiator,but that probaly will do much for the heater just thought. on the coolant additive will just one bottle from ford be enough.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Major Marvin
Since I live in an area that gets very hot and very cold, will the 203* Stat be to hot for the hot high desert near Santa Fe, NM?
I see days with 100+ temps on a regular basis during the summer months with even more days of 90+ temps. I've had no problems with overheating.

My truck came from the factory with the Super Cooling Package and I'm still running with the OEM fan.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Originally Posted by johnbrown
Hi, i understand the reason for the 203* t/s to get engine hotter,but could you do the same thing by putting a cover in front of radiator,but that probaly will do much for the heater just thought. on the coolant additive will just one bottle from ford be enough.
John,

Blocking off or putting a cover in front of the radiator is not recommended. Yes, the decrease in airflow through the radiator might raise coolant temps, but that same airflow is used to cool the entire engine compartment. Some of the underhood components, especially the electricals, would not do well with the increased underhood temps. I have a screen in front of my radiator, but that is mainly for catching the bugs before they get into the radiator fins.

I've used the Lund Cold Fronts (grill inserts) before and may use them again. They don't block or cover the radiator, but due to their design, they do restrict the airflow a bit.

Mine were damaged during my accident and I haven't had the money to replace them. It's been so long since the accident, I'm not sure I want to replace them. I did like the look they gave the front end, so it's something I might do in the future, but I have many other projects I want to do first.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
I don't understand how you guys are seeing your trucks warm up faster with a different thermostat. The thermostat is closed until the engine reaches operating temp so whether it opens at 195 or 203 it still takes just as long to get to that temp

Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
I can't speak for everyone, so I'll only speak for myself.

Before I replaced my T-Stat with the 203* unit, I had my EBPV unplugged in the hopes that would help increase my MPG. I also felt that my old T-Stat was not working properly. When I inspected it, I couldn't determine if it was stuck partially open.

When I installed the 203* T-Stat, I plugged in the EBPV, too. With this combination, I noticed an immediate increase in heater / defroster output and a significant decrease in warm-up time. This is what I mean by faster warm-up.

Quick Reply: 203 Degree Thermostat