6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Making Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Making Oil?

I understand what it means for an engine to "make oil", but what I am wondering is if anyone here is experiencing this with their new 6.7?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
AlexWV
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my first oil change @4700 miles and fuel content of
that oil was <0.5%. Less than 1/2 of 1 percent.

If you search on here, you can probably find the thread
where I posted the oil analysis.

So, no, not making oil at the moment.

Others have had higher fuel content. Some of it depends
on your driving style. Frequent short trips results in more
fuel in oil.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Great Danes
I understand what it means for an engine to "make oil", but what I am wondering is if anyone here is experiencing this with their new 6.7?
21000 miles and 3 oil changes. No noticeable change in oil level at any of the oil changes. Last interval was 7100 miles. Ford engineers have stated on this site that they tested the different methods for DPF regeneration and are very solid in their support of the route they chose. Oil analysis posted here and elsewhere are proving them right. Tempest in a teapot. Drive the truck and keep smiling...all is well

Regards

Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My first oil change showed a fuel content of 4%. I was concerned that that was high but learned that it needs to be at 7% before it needs attention. Waiting on next oil analysis from Blackstone. Should come any day now.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
My first oil analysis at 9000 miles reported "neg" for fuel dilution. The oil had 4000 miles on it. The lab I use, reports "neg" for anything under 1%.

I am certainly not worried, I am just curious what others' results are like.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where would one be able to take their oil to get it tested? I'm not letting the dealer do my first change, but could I take a sample to them to test?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
Where would one be able to take their oil to get it tested? I'm not letting the dealer do my first change, but could I take a sample to them to test?
Here you go:

Blackstone Labs

Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
btm991
Senior User
Is it just the standard oil test that everyone gets?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Subscribing...

Old 02-02-2011, 06:26 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by btm991
Is it just the standard oil test that everyone gets?
Yes, that's what I do.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
MZ5
Junior User
To be clear: Blackstone Labs does not test for fuel content. The run an open-cup flash point test, and 'extrapolate' a fuel content.

DysonAnalysis.com

runs actual fuel measurement, rather than an extrapolation from flash point. Dyson's testing is much more sensitive (and accurate) than what BS gives. They also do closed-cup flash testing. We use Dyson for our fleet.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by MZ5
To be clear: Blackstone Labs does not test for fuel content. The run an open-cup flash point test, and 'extrapolate' a fuel content.

DysonAnalysis.com

runs actual fuel measurement, rather than an extrapolation from flash point. Dyson's testing is much more sensitive (and accurate) than what BS gives. They also do closed-cup flash testing. We use Dyson for our fleet.
I've seen these guys before, and I also heard they were very good.

But their basic analysis is $59, which is nearly 3 times what Blackstone charges!

If I had a commercial fleet that I expected to go many thousands of miles I might invest in that, but for my under warranty truck I'll just stick to the Blackstone reports!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:35 PM
MZ5
Junior User
I understand the expense; I sometimes swallow a little hard at the $129 for my personal vehicles, but it's been worth it to correcting things that were going amok early on.

My issue (speaking of personal vehicles now, not specifically the fleet) with Blackstone is that they are an extremely poor value, IMO, for what you get. The $12 - $25 analyses through your local oil distributor give you as good and as accurate info as BS, and I always got TBN from them for that price. Dyson is worth it to me for the better info, but if I wanted to spend less on each UOA, I wouldn't look at BS.

BTW: I couldn't get to our fleet UOAs earlier, or I'd have posted, but our new trucks are showing ~0.5% fuel after 500 - 600 miles. That's with <1,500 miles on the engines, though, so I'm hopeful things will tighten up over the next couple to few thousand.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MZ5
I understand the expense; I sometimes swallow a little hard at the $129 for my personal vehicles, but it's been worth it to correcting things that were going amok early on.

My issue (speaking of personal vehicles now, not specifically the fleet) with Blackstone is that they are an extremely poor value, IMO, for what you get. The $12 - $25 analyses through your local oil distributor give you as good and as accurate info as BS, and I always got TBN from them for that price. Dyson is worth it to me for the better info, but if I wanted to spend less on each UOA, I wouldn't look at BS.

BTW: I couldn't get to our fleet UOAs earlier, or I'd have posted, but our new trucks are showing ~0.5% fuel after 500 - 600 miles. That's with <1,500 miles on the engines, though, so I'm hopeful things will tighten up over the next couple to few thousand.
You mentioned you corrected things early on. What information does the Dyson report give that allows you to do that and what types of corrective actions would you take?

Also, I'm not familiar with local oil distributors who perform these analyses. What companies to that?

Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
kumarp
New User
I just bought one of these rigs, and have had a hard time analyzing this issue. The dealer told me that the DPF injection was exhaust stream, but what I've read seems to indicate that regeneration happens in-cylinder, which is what leads to oil dilution. Does anyone know the particulars of this well enough to give me a "final answer"?

Thank you so much.