1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What mods do you wish you hadn't done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I'll bump this one back to the top! One of the things that the PO did that I wish he didn't do was use those damn plastic ties to attach the electric fan to the radiator... Why would anyone think this is good....

Old 09-04-2011, 12:06 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
I'll bump this one back to the top! One of the things that the PO did that I wish he didn't do was use those damn plastic ties to attach the electric fan to the radiator... Why would anyone think this is good....
It has been my experience in life that some folks follow directions without regard for anything else...including common sense. Whoever makes these fans and coolers find it most expedient (read, profitable) to make the installation of their product very simple. Unfortunately "simple" is usually not the best way...but given clear instructions even a monkey could attach a pull tie.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by CharlieLed
It has been my experience in life that some folks follow directions without regard for anything else...including common sense. Whoever makes these fans and coolers find it most expedient (read, profitable) to make the installation of their product very simple. Unfortunately "simple" is usually not the best way...but given clear instructions even a monkey could attach a pull tie.
LOL... you are right there... It works but you gamble if you need to remove their product... I might have to gamble drilling off the heads to take the fan of to have the radiator rodded and leaks fixed. I'll let them melt the plastic out when the boil it... I want to build a shield and mount the fan to that...

Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coopdagook
whats up with those fans under there?
I thought they were afterburners.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 PM
41Clay
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, I wish I had done it right the first time! Or at least had a plan to begin with.

I second you John. I put in the Volare then did an engine swap. Couldn't get that engine in so tried an '86 5.0; needed a new oil pan for clearance and oh look it doesn't have the indention for the dip stick. All that with the fact that since it is a '52 so there is even less room for important things like headers. I couldn't afford a MII suspension at the time though.

Latest thing I wish I hadn't done is channel the cab. What a pain! I thought a z-ing the frame would be too dificult but his is rediculous. The more darkside I go the more I can't wait to do my '41 which will be close to stock.

As I read about the exhaust I took a trip down memory lane, driving though the country with the 390 growling along. Had glass packs with a 2-1/4" head pipes and 2" out the back.

Now I'm heading towards the quiet side too as we have holigans behind us that drive all of us neighbors crazy reving up at all times in the night. I've heard pointing the tips at the same spot on the ground does a lot as far as cancelling each other out. Never tried it as I never wanted to cancel the noise out before.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted on this thread before but now that the paint on my 56 is almost done I think that every mod was worth the time, the money and the frustration

Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

What's your favorite mod then?

Originally Posted by fatfenders56
I posted on this thread before but now that the paint on my 56 is almost done I think that every mod was worth the time, the money and the frustration
OK I'll ask the other What's your favorite mod?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Macs Antique Auto parts "original" style headliner (cardboard)!

They sent me 2 lower trims, one that was way short and one that was way long (minor compared to the rest of the issues - but they have a finish edge, so can not be modified reasonably).

The headliner was 1/4" too wide and so after an hour of very very carefully trying to wedge it in, it creased right in the middle in the back (I hid most of that by putting in a dome light).

The front edge of the left and right panels does not come close to matching the original Ford channel. So I have bare metal / insulation showing.

The holes were completely random places (instructions say to "make new holes in the sheet metal" - bs, they could have done a decent job of matching) - well trying to very carefully drill a new hole blindly I slipped and ran the drill head through the material in a spot.

The rear window (1948) is slightly smaller than the cutout on the panels, so I have bare metal showing.

The bottom pieces appear to be 1/2" too wide, so while the top and upper sides sit in front of the frame, the bottom sits in the frame and doesn't line up with the rest of the pieces.

The bottom pieces are short - there is 3/8" of gap at the bottom (assume I put carpet under my gas tank? and the black hole pocket at the cab is still exposed for cruft to get lost in) and they do not sit in front of the frame at the top - so no way to fasten it... have to pray rely on sprung tight to stay.

The bottom pieces have several cutouts (universal to 48-52), but that leaves gaps and visible insulation along the gas tank top.

The bottom pieces have a funky extra cutout IN THE MIDDLE of nowhere that leaves insulation showing at the top. (really looks tacky - makes me think of low quality cheap Chinese)

I find it kind of tacky that it is 5 pieces when a very large portion of it could have been done in 1 piece (granted it is as Henry did it, but for the look and money I'll redo it myself when it gets damaged)

I'll be glad to edit with pictures later, but on a scale of 0-5, I would give this a 0.5, the only reason it gets that is because I didn't have to spend a month fiddling with making my own (lots of labor). I bought it because I want to spend more time driving and less wrenching, but word of caution, this is one you go ABS on or at the very least a different supplier. I have other issues with this headliner, but my post is already way too long and I'm not a ranter :P

Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
OK I'll ask the other What's your favorite mod?
No doubt qbout it, sectioning the cab 2 inches was/is the most dramatic. The truck has a super low profile and no one can figure out why