Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

The U-Haul IP Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The U-Haul IP Update

Well fellas the pump is in and running well. I am off to the mech on monday or tuesday for a timing. Gotta get the new filter assy and mech pump in first though. Yes thats right im heading back to the land of mech fuel pumps. The amp drain from those stinking pumps is just too much. But back to the story, New IP's are like a whole new animal under the hood, holy crap! i thought i had some fun before, wow fellas, let me tell you. Its definitely greener on this side of the fence. As for the turbo, still no pipes from banks so i wait, and wait and wait! aaahhh its killing me. till then here is another shot of it in the truck and out of the truck.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
looking good man!
Glad to hear that it running good! hows your timing? since you changed out pumps

Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coalroller
looking good man!
Glad to hear that it running good! hows your timing? since you changed out pumps
Thats what I'm wondering? You just match up the timing marks for the install?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
The timing marks were totally different so i had to do it totally by ear, so i set it to be just a tad of rattle when warm. Sound a lot quieter when running down the road but am sure i can shush the engine with some good timing, monday or Tuesday i am taking it to ford for timing. Running down the road, i get zero haze or smoke trail so once turbo goes in, it'll get a bump of up to two flats. The fact that i could bump it a flat right now, tells me this turbo will be a lot of fun! hahaha. Its like a whole new truck guys and i could rip the tires loose no prob. You ought to see it now hahaha, well just wait for the vid! haha

Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
sounds like youre having fun!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
always!! my new high power fog lights are going on tomorrow! i put the international license plate on the front! looks awesome. Thinking about getting a emblem for where the ford logo goes. Hard to find though, even went to the international truck store. what the heck? haha

Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 AM
bubblegum
Senior User
Hey, shiny new parts! I like shiny new parts! Shiny new parts are good for your truck!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well well, if it ain't the dark queen of blades herself! So, shiny, eh?

Wreck, how long you said it took you to swap the pump? Mine will be arriving tomorrow (hopefully, neighbors are warned to check for it in the afternoon, lol) and I'll be swapping it together with them injectors I recently got, should make for an honest day of work methinks, especially if some injectors decide to get stuck in the bores... And I see your #2 line has the same "upgrade" that my #2 has to keep the intake away from it, lol.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
yeah i just shot the line with some silver paint to match, but in all my wisdom and grace later i realized, hahaha i dont have to worry about that anymore. my new intake is far from that location lol. ah well.

as fr time spent, 4 hours total and that was a lot of paint drying time so if its just installing parts, i bet i could pull off injectors and ip in 4. Not a terrible job at all.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
nice job there wreck.
she goes likes she's supposed to go now hey?
how many butt dyno hp do you figure you where down running the old pump? a good 20 hp recovered or so?
you already just recently changed injectors right?
looking forward to hearing how close you got the pump by ear.make sure to ask the guy to record the reading on the meter to let ya know how you did blind! i would anyway.
looking forward to more,like fuel economy etc too down the road.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
I'm hoping to go through mine in either spring or summer and do about four jobs at once...Put in new IP & Injectors, replace radiator and all hoses, swap out turbos....

Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Thanks fellas, yeah it is quite a diff and it doesnt hesitate at all running up the malahat which has some good grades, i looked down at the gps and saw i was running up the hill at 98kph with no effort, usually i have to push the pedal hard to get close to that so i gunned it to see what i could do, i let off at 118 hahaha. Shes got some serious guts now haha. If i didnt already have the turbo set to go with parts coming, id probably be perfectly content with it like this. So i would bet i am real friggin close on the timing as i get just a tiny haze in the lights behind me. The old pump would let out a friggin smoke screen haha. Tiny rattle at throttle, and near zero at idle. So i think i have it set well. We shall see. Not sure if they need a tach though to do the timing, think they could hook up to the tach sensor on the IP housing? Man i need a tach haha.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
whenry912
Senior User
Wow, my U-Haul pump is sitting in my back seat, you are gonna make me have to install it with all these glowing reports!

Don't know how the dealer will time your truck, but the Ferret I use doesn't need a tach, it just reads the pulse from the injection line.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bubblegum
Hey, shiny new parts! I like shiny new parts! Shiny new parts are good for your truck!!!
wow, thats deep.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Cruickie
Senior User
Speaking of front plates..... What do ya'll think of this one?

Quick Reply: The U-Haul IP Update