Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to undull inside of headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock wattage bulbs are fine, as the 87+ style trucks have a better electrical system than your 80. also you dont risk burning the housing with stock wattage bulbs

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Well i figured i would buy some new headlights along with a set of H.I.Ds sense the kit is only around $80 bucks or so then throw a pair of KC 6"x8" fog lights on the brush guard but intell then i wanted to see if there was something to fix the problem because when it rains i might as well not have my headlights even on...

Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Ak Ford Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 93f250tn
Well i figured i would buy some new headlights along with a set of H.I.Ds sense the kit is only around $80 bucks or so then throw a pair of KC 6"x8" fog lights on the brush guard but intell then i wanted to see if there was something to fix the problem because when it rains i might as well not have my headlights even on...
I just got done putting HID on my truck yesterday. I took it for a test drive, and the low beam was better then my old ones had been with the driving lights on. With the HID on, I could not really tell a differance when I turned on the driving lights. I used 5000K, HID/Helogen. The Bi-Xexron Hi/Low HID will put out way more light, but you have to buy the bulb and relay seperate (The relay is for the Hi/low back and forth movement)

Over all, after getting the HID lights, I will never use anything else, and I want to convert the driving lights now.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I vote for getting new headlight assemblies either stock or crystal clear, but not euro crap, a relay setup, and some good clear bulbs like GE Nighthawk or Sylvania Xtravision. Please do not do the HID retrofit, its illegal and produces excessive glare to oncomming drivers. None of the available headlamp assemblies are designed for HID, they are designed for Halogen.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:45 PM
SilverSport
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
I vote for getting new headlight assemblies either stock or crystal clear, but not euro crap, a relay setup, and some good clear bulbs like GE Nighthawk or Sylvania Xtravision. Please do not do the HID retrofit, its illegal and produces excessive glare to oncomming drivers. None of the available headlamp assemblies are designed for HID, they are designed for Halogen.
Thanks .... So I am not the only one that wants to build a laser and tracking system to destroy those non DOT home install lights that the traffic patrol will not enforce laws against! Especially the ones that do not aim the light slightly to the right of the car so as not to blind oncoming drivers.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Thanks .... So I am not the only one that wants to build a laser and tracking system to destroy those non DOT home install lights that the traffic patrol will not enforce laws against! Especially the ones that do not aim the light slightly to the right of the car so as not to blind oncoming drivers.
+10000000000

Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 AM
892504x4
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
People also forget that HID to be legal they also need some away of cleaning the headlight lenses.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Everytime I see one coming the other direction or even from behind, I want to shoot a heat seeking missle at it. LOL...

Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 892504x4
People also forget that HID to be legal they also need some away of cleaning the headlight lenses.
How does clean headlight lenses make retroffited HID legal?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Originally Posted by 892504x4
The reason i want to do the H.I.Ds is because of the dramitic light out-put vs stock or just replacing with halogen bulbs. I also do alot of driving on backroads sense i live about 8 miles out of the city which is another reason i would like the higher light out-put HIDs my buddy had a pair on his 2006 dodge ram and they did not by all means blind other drives sense he had them aimed the way they should. I do agree with you do not aim them they way they should they can blind other drivers but if done right they wont anymore then a high ouput halogen bulb. My only reason i am not sure about the HIDs is like stated above about these headlights not being made for them so i dont want to buy a new pair and have the bulbs burn the cases. For now i figured i will buy a pair of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras which are like $50 bucks and when i install the push bar with brush guards and 6"x8" KC halogen fog lights i think i could do without the HID's. Like i said before i was wondering if i could just open the headlight assemblies up to clean the actual lenses intell i buy the new ones. I am placing a order all at once for everything sense it is a huge list and making sure i am still in budget but i may just buy the headlight assemblies ahead of time sense lighting up the road is a issue.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:01 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
It doesn't matter the reason. Aiming them down helps a little but its not enough. The optics of the headlight assembly is incorrect for HID. Its a bad idea because its affects on comming drivers.

Something else to consider is that not everyone's eyes are the same and what bothers someone else may not bother you.

Just get some good Hella or KC driving lights.

Don't waste your cash on Silverstar bulbs. They are tinted and just appear whiter and really aren't brighter. Stay with clear bulbs. GE Nighthawk Platinum is something new, but I have no experience with them. They also have a blue ring on them, and I'm not sure what that is supposed to do.

These GE Nighthawk are my favorite, with Xtravision just behind them. They are less than 30 bucks. Don't get sport series they are tinted too.

Amazon.com: GE 9007NH/BP2 Nighthawk Automotive Replacement Bulbs - Pack of 2: Automotive

Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
It doesn't matter the reason. Aiming them down helps a little but its not enough. The optics of the headlight assembly is incorrect for HID. Its a bad idea because its affects on comming drivers.
Exactly what he said. Those lights are not designed to have that light patten in them so it just scatters the light all over the place and you blind on coming divers

Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The bulb's focal length and the lens's diffraction pattern don't really work with an HID retrofit kit at all.

I replaced both my headlamp assemblies and added a relay kit from LMC a couple of years ago.
The more direct power supply and added grounds made a world of difference.

Read more than you ever wanted to know from one of the best in the industry: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 AM
truckrider814
Posting Guru

the only way i know of to clean the inside is to take the lens off and polish it. it does work just time consuming cause you have to unglue it clean it and then reglue it. or you can get new ones. Also can yall stop badgering him and everyone else about the damn HID's ok fine tell them once twice ok send a link or two but i hate seeing a good thread ruined! Now im hoping that someone else can chime in with more USEFUL information on the subject at hand about the cleaning of the insides of the lens'.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 AM
itsabowtime2
Freshman User
There are a few products out on the market to clean the lens. 3M makes a product, Turtle Wax, Meguiar's as well.

Personally, I plan on just replacing mine. The time invested in cracking the seal, then the time cleaning the lens, then the time putting it back together is time that could be spent on another project.

Here are step by step instructions to clean the lens:

How to Repair Oxidized Cloudy Headlights with a Headlight Cleaner - wikiHow

Quick Reply: How to undull inside of headlights?