Sponsored by: Moser

2011 F-150 5.0L Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Jr.Ranger-04
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstate45
In my 57k miles, I had a new water pump at like 45-50k miles and a serpentine belt.

I've had my front diff rebuilt around 54k miles.

Air injection pumps are a multi-thousand dollar problem but can be bypassed at no charge... but you may need to pass inspection.

Honestly, the best things I"ve done to this truck is the Old Man Emu suspension up front, the ranch hand brush guard, tires and exhaust. The factory stuff is good, but everything else makes it better.

The powertrain is STOUT, and people over on the Tundra forums say it's better than the new Fords in races... personally I'd buy a 5.0 whether or not it's slower or faster. Not a big deal as they all offer plenty of power.

The sheet metal is weak, but I assume all trucks are now a days in the 1/2 ton market.

All in all, good truck but it leaves a LITTLE bit to be desired. Put me in the market today, and I'd probably buy a Ford but I"ve always been partial to Fords. The Tundra is a good truck and not to be discounted totally b/c it's "japanese."

The other thing is I have a very early first model '07. Might be a little bit more susceptible to problems.

If you go onto the Tundra boards you'll see what the majority of the problems are. Nothing TOO significant that affects the entire tundra population except the air injection pumps.... mechanically. All of them have thin sheetmetal, poor paint, etc... but what car doesn't htese days?

-rockstate
Rock:Thanx much for the info, I have been ford all my life but I have an early build 04 5.4 that has had plenty of issues so was just wondering about the tundra and appreciate the honesty, I think I will wait a year or so for a 5.0 looks to be a great engine. Think they all have thins sheet metal now days but I think ford still has the strongest frame, not too sure about the elec. power steering but in a year or so if there r any bugs should come out. Thanx again..

Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Anytime man. What kind of issues are you having?

Don't buy into the frame thing too much. My frame has never hit the cab and I've ran through some pretty rough roads. Ran through a small dip in the road about deep" and 8" wide with no bed contact. Didn't even throw off the alignment.

Point is... they're made to flex.. look at a SD and any heavy hauler Semi - all open Cs. It's not gonna rust out on ya, and if it does, Toyota is very very generous on buying back - no '07+s have been bought back.

I got a proposition for you tomorrow. Take a pi of your upper control arm, lower control arm, and then one of hte entire thing including strut mount. I'll do the same tomorrow for ya. It's pretty stout underneath there.

The electric power steering is sweet, but it's anybody's guess as to how well it'll perform in nasty conditions.

-rockstate

Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Jr.Ranger-04
Senior User
Anytime man. What kind of issues are you having?

Don't buy into the frame thing too much. My frame has never hit the cab and I've ran through some pretty rough roads. Ran through a small dip in the road about deep" and 8" wide with no bed contact. Didn't even throw off the alignment.

Point is... they're made to flex.. look at a SD and any heavy hauler Semi - all open Cs. It's not gonna rust out on ya, and if it does, Toyota is very very generous on buying back - no '07+s have been bought back.

I got a proposition for you tomorrow. Take a pi of your upper control arm, lower control arm, and then one of hte entire thing including strut mount. I'll do the same tomorrow for ya. It's pretty stout underneath there.

The electric power steering is sweet, but it's anybody's guess as to how well it'll perform in nasty conditions.

-rockstate
I had plug issues couldn't get them out and both cam phasers had to be replaced, that stuff has all been redesigned in late 07. I am not really worried about the frames Ijust don't use my truck that hard anymore. I have looked at the tundra front ends and frames I would not worry about that part. Have u looked at the f-150 front ends if not I will send some pics if I can figure out how to do it I am not a real compuiter guru??

Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Ah yeah seems like the early F150s were plagued with those problems.

Yeah, I've seen the front ends on the trucks. I am partial to how beefy the Tundra's looks. Even with 2.5" lift I could get it in alignment.

-rockstate

Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hate to say it, but that's the motor man. The stock 5.0 sounds very similar just a little muffled.

Listen to Borla on a C5 or a C6 Corvette... or a Mustang... or anything else and you'll just about cream yourself. I think it's one of the best sounding mufflers.

-rockstate

No it doesn't.

Roush exhaust is the only way to go on the Mustangs.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matts72
No it doesn't.
Roush exhaust is the only way to go on the Mustangs.
I think this is a matter of opinion and the listener's ear. How far does this have to go?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was not aware that you were the official voice on all things to be discussed and your opinion was the only one that mattered. I see you had no input on this taking a dive into the Toyota discussion...

Old 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
i'm pretty sure the Roush exhaust is just a repackaged Borla kit.... nothing wrong with that and I think it sounds great too.

Nothing wrong with a little Toyota discussion. There's no brand bashing going on, just some of my experiences. I miss my Ford and I'll be back in one soon after this one wears out.

-rockstate

Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Originally Posted by Matts72
I was not aware that you were the official voice on all things to be discussed and your opinion was the only one that mattered. I see you had no input on this taking a dive into the Toyota discussion...
I never said I was the "official voice" or anything like that. I was just getting tired of all the "this one is the best, bar none" type of banter that serves no real purpose but to flame others. besides, this thread WAS about aftermarket exhaust on FORD trucks, which I still THINK is the featured brand on this site.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM
6Fastback7
Senior User
2011 5.0 F-150 Fx4 has a Super 44 single 3" on dual 2.5" out stainless style.........sounds great! No cab noise you can hear a little when it goes through the gears getting up to cruising speed then quite! Sounds great when you stomp it from a stand still!

I like Flowmasters in my 2 cents!!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Jr.Ranger-04
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Atsma
I never said I was the "official voice" or anything like that. I was just getting tired of all the "this one is the best, bar none" type of banter that serves no real purpose but to flame others. besides, this thread WAS about aftermarket exhaust on FORD trucks, which I still THINK is the featured brand on this site.
If u don't like the banter just click your little mousey and leave otherwise STFU!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jr.Ranger-04
If u don't like the banter just click your little mousey and leave otherwise STFU!!!
Ohhhh my, the little big man has a potty mouth too. Your mommy ain't gonna like that,

Old 02-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
Yeah I liked the Borla better too. And your right, I wonder if these engine's will see and improvements as they already breathing good. I guess only time will tell.
Mustang exhaust systems are flowing a lot better, and they are still seeing pretty huge gains from headers/exhaust.

You've got an engine with cylinder heads that flow like Yates heads, these things are doing to respond to breathing mods, if the "mods" are actual improvements. Pick the right parts, and there are gains to be had.

I use to have an old 1990 F-150 with the old Pushrod 5.0L and I did the full exhaust treatment on it, True duel flowmasters, Headers, Single highflow Cat...The works, that truck gained almost 40hp from that alone. I doubt you'll see gains like that in these newer trucks.
The 1990 F-150 was sporting E7s that flowed something like 170 on the intake port and 120 on the exhaust port, the new 5.0 is flowing 330+ on the intake and almost 200 on the exhaust port, and it didn't get tubular headers and true duals like the Mustang. With headers and true duals you'll see every bit of 40 rwhp from exhaust once the tune is adjusted to compensate.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:48 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Bad
Mustang exhaust systems are flowing a lot better, and they are still seeing pretty huge gains from headers/exhaust.

You've got an engine with cylinder heads that flow like Yates heads, these things are doing to respond to breathing mods, if the "mods" are actual improvements. Pick the right parts, and there are gains to be had.

The 1990 F-150 was sporting E7s that flowed something like 170 on the intake port and 120 on the exhaust port, the new 5.0 is flowing 330+ on the intake and almost 200 on the exhaust port, and it didn't get tubular headers and true duals like the Mustang. With headers and true duals you'll see every bit of 40 rwhp from exhaust once the tune is adjusted to compensate.

Hey I'm glad to hear this! I'm getting a 5.0L FX4 this summer and I was debating rather or not doing aftermarket exhaust work would be worth it since I would only be gaining sound. But if it'll acutally help it out some then its a no brainer. And perhaps I will do Flowmasters again. Not really sure yet.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM
vfuentes
New User
i have the borla exhaust system in my fx4 09, and does not sound like that clip, but still sounds pretty good for me.
Now, there something to about those 2 brands, "price" yeap, borla is lot more expansive than fowmaster.
Also material, most or all borla are true SS., flowmaster , yes they have some of them, but not really sure.
In my case, yes i gain some MPG, just right after the borla installation.
I really recommend borla mufflers.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 5.0L Aftermarket Exhaust