1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OD blinking light fix.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwest Dually

Hey, you were looking to upgrade anyways, right?
Heck yea anytime somethings broke, its a good time to fix it with an upgrade. maybe a bts and be done with it forever.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
If you have the cash for a BTS and plan on keepin the truck for a while, That is a great idea. If not, Do some research and get a semi built trans.

Also, If you do decide to go BTS, Plan now, I believe you need to jump on a waiting list...

Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Really a waiting list wow. and are there different styles of the bts, u know for different hp ranges? or is there just one stout bts that handles it all?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by YoungFordAddict66
Really a waiting list wow. and are there different styles of the bts, u know for different hp ranges? or is there just one stout bts that handles it all?
I believe one stout BTS.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
I believe one stout BTS.
Sweet. And yea i've been thinking about a bts because i could have my tranny built from $2500 to $4000 from a shop here idk much about and get that questionable rebuild or just have the bts and never worry again. I think the only good one i heard of was a mechanic i know has a buddy up around portland that builds trannys for sled trucks and could build me a good one one for 2500. so its either that, 5 speed swap, or bts.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
makomark
Senior User
A while ago, the Mrs' windstar exhibited the flashing OD light.

Did some www research as well as checked with the 'good ol' boy network'. Learned two items worth sharing:
1) Windstars are referred to as DeathStars, for more than one reason
2) That Flashing light is nicknamed the "Sell it while you can" light (think it also covers trade-in, too).

Old 02-04-2011, 01:23 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Sweet. And yea i've been thinking about a bts because i could have my tranny built from $2500 to $4000 from a shop here idk much about and get that questionable rebuild or just have the bts and never worry again. I think the only good one i heard of was a mechanic i know has a buddy up around portland that builds trannys for sled trucks and could build me a good one one for 2500. so its either that, 5 speed swap, or bts.
Like i said, If its something you plan on keeping, BTS. If you are lookin more in the 2 or 3 year keeping and then selling it, You can get a local built trans with a warranty for that kind of time and just sell it before the warranty is up. IMO, 5 speed swap isn't as good as just getting a rebuilt auto. Stock for stock, manuals are better. Build your truck and put a BTS behind it, the built auto will be better.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by makomark
A while ago, the Mrs' windstar exhibited the flashing OD light.

Did some www research as well as checked with the 'good ol' boy network'. Learned two items worth sharing:
1) Windstars are referred to as DeathStars, for more than one reason
2) That Flashing light is nicknamed the "Sell it while you can" light (think it also covers trade-in, too).
Yea maybe thats y i got it for 3k when i bought it. been blinking since i bought it Nov 09. So i gotta fix my baby selling its never an option lol unless i find my dream truck, a F350 cc 5 speed lond box psd uuhh what i wouldnt give to have that.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
B Big
Senior User
My OD light blinks & the tranny shifts hard, I pull over & shut off & restart & that usually resets the VSS.

I need to replace the VSS, I just have not done that yet.

The VSS is about $15.00 at NAPA. I would replace that before you start foolin with the trans & see what happens.

Very simple repair, driver's side on top of the diff, one bolt just like the CPS.

I'm not usually prone to start guessing & throwing parts at a problem till I get lucky enough to fix something but, $15.00 & 15 mins isn't like pissin away alot of time on a squirrel chase.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Blake, have you checked your third brake light in the cab and the rear tail ligths? I have read that that can produce your symptoms. good luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by B Big
My OD light blinks & the tranny shifts hard, I pull over & shut off & restart & that usually resets the VSS.

I need to replace the VSS, I just have not done that yet.

The VSS is about $15.00 at NAPA. I would replace that before you start foolin with the trans & see what happens.

Very simple repair, driver's side on top of the diff, one bolt just like the CPS.

I'm not usually prone to start guessing & throwing parts at a problem till I get lucky enough to fix something but, $15.00 & 15 mins isn't like pissin away alot of time on a squirrel chase.
Yea i usually make a pit stop let it cool down and shut it off and restart it and that clears it. And what is the vss, is that the sensor on top of the rear diff?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Blake, have you checked your third brake light in the cab and the rear tail ligths? I have read that that can produce your symptoms. good luck.
Do u mean do they work? Or like there could be a bad wire somewhere causing the problem? cause the most trouble i have had with those was a burnt out bulb in the third brake like, but just replaced that and it still works.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea i usually make a pit stop let it cool down and shut it off and restart it and that clears it. And what is the vss, is that the sensor on top of the rear diff?
Yes its on the top of the rear pumpking
VSS= vehicle speed sensor

Do u mean do they work? Or like there could be a bad wire somewhere causing the problem? cause the most trouble i have had with those was a burnt out bulb in the third brake like, but just replaced that and it still works.
Yes I meant if they where working..

Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Yea thats what i figured vss stood for. and yea they work fine thanks. i guess i should go get a vss from napa, worst thing that could happen is i check another sensor off the list.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Blake, have you checked with racer x? Can't hurt to contact them about tranny's, they build some good ones for our trucks also. I believe they have different ones for different setups, depending what you want. If you want bts, thats cool, great product for sure, just suggesting another, like I said, can't hurt anything to talk to them and see what they say. FWIW, racer x is who I'm going with when the time comes..

Quick Reply: OD blinking light fix.