1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

need help!!! engine misfire, bad valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
D_Cassarino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help!!! engine misfire, bad valve?

My old man just bought a 99 ranger for pretty cheap, but its got some problems which is why i joined this forum and am posting some questions, well first off as i said before its a 99 ranger with the 3.0 v6 mated to an automatic, trucks got 2xx,xxx miles i believe, transmission is fine and the engine is mostly fine except for a misfire, scanned it and all it says is misfire cyl. #3, the P.O. had brought it to a shop to further diagnose the problem and they concluded it was a bad valve, i dont know much about this engine but i do have knowledge of engines in general, basically i just want some basic info about it, solid or hydraulic lifters? pushrod or OHC/DOHC, and maybe some problems that people have had in the past or maybe some opinions of what the problem may be (bad valve seat, bent valve, adjustment needed? ) help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 PM
D_Cassarino
New User
bump

anyone?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
F-series Fan
Senior User
Push rods I believe, and hydraulic lifters, Do a compression test on all cylinders and a good tune up, Good luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Originally Posted by F-series Fan
Push rods I believe, and hydraulic lifters, Do a compression test on all cylinders and a good tune up, Good luck.
I agree!

Also, might want to attach a vacuum gage and see how it reads. A bad injector will also give a missfire.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 AM
jimw411
Elder User
Pull the spark plug and take a look, it will tell you the story. Also what i do is the old school find the misfire while running test and while idlling pull off each spark plug wire one at a time and see if the idle changes and put it back on. Also try swapping the spark plud wire over to another cylinder and see if the problem moves.