1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Transplanted H.O. Refresher

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
poniesntrucks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transplanted H.O. Refresher

Hi guys, I've been soaking up as much info as possible on this site and I now need a few questions answered. I did use the search function, but wasn't able to get all of my questions answered. I'll try to give as much info as possible, here goes:

I recently purchased a 1986 F150 2wd shorty. The PO has replaced the original 300 with what he told me was a 91 F150 motor. Upon closer inspection(removal of starter)I uncovered the "F1SE" and "BB" casting marks. This means it's a roller motor, right? Secondly, it has the GT40P heads on it, and uses the 351 firing order. Well the oilpan has a crack in it and is leaking around the gasket, among other areas, and I am planning to yank the motor out to address those issues. While I'm in there I figured I'd go ahead and replace the oil pump/pickup tube, and driveshaft. Seeing as I don't know for sure where this motor started it's life, I want to make sure that I'm putting the correct parts back on it before I put it all back together and find out something is wrong. I don't have the funds for a total rebuild right now, but are there things I should be on the lookout for since I'll already have the motor out and on a stand? Thanks in advance, this place has been awealth of knowledge already.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the gt40p heads look virgin, I would suspect it's actually a 97^ Explorer motor. Now you say cracked pan, is it aluminum, if so, it is from an Explorer.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
poniesntrucks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took a magnet to the pan and it didn't stick. The two choices were steel and aluminum, yes? The heads don't show any evidence of ever being unmated from the block, so I'm guessing Explorer too. Is there a difference between the F150 pan and the Explorer one? And if so, should which should I be picking up as a replacement? Ditto on the pickup tube for the oil pump.