6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

To plow or not to plow

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To plow or not to plow

Who plows snow with these monsters? I was looking at the Boss V system and could probably make a few bucks around here on the side. How much wear and tear on these rigs? Any good advice from those that plow or have plowed would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every time we get a big snow around here I get the same thoughts...then I wake up, figure my investment costs, wear and tear on the truck and liability exposure and let someone else do it...But it is a temptation.

Around here, and likely most places, if you have a plow out on the public highways, they require a DOT registration number to be posted on the truck.

Regards

Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt93
Who plows snow with these monsters? I was looking at the Boss V system and could probably make a few bucks around here on the side. How much wear and tear on these rigs? Any good advice from those that plow or have plowed would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
What a timely post. I have plowed with my trucks for years. I bought this truck with the intention of throwing a plow on as soon as I hit the 1k mark. I am still running my old trucks for plowing at this point.

I have spoken to a lot of guys on other forums who routinely plow with the SD. It is a capable plow vehicle if you have the right setup and know what you are doing.

There is a lot of talk about how much damage snowplowing does to a truck. My experience (from the days I plowed as a teenager in Buffalo to 30+ years later), has led me to the conclusion that the damage you will see is due to what stupid things you do. Running into a snow bank at 30 mph will certainly get you there faster. My longest running plow truck has been at it for 11 years. In that time, only 1 repair -- a broken sway bar link. And it looks like it was caused by salt!

As for the money side. If you live in a heavy snow belt area, you will be competing against all those landscapers looking for winter work and others like yourself. In New York, I could expect to see about half of what I can get here for plowing a driveway. And then there is the acquistion cost. The prices for basic plows will run you $4500. The V plows will go as high as $7k (stainless). You will also spend money on maintaining the plow and also on the truck (using the severe duty timelines). Unless you have contracts, getting your investment back will take time.

And then there is the people... If you do it as a sideline activity, you will get people who think you are willing to plow everytime there is a snowstorm. If you travel for work or go away on vacation, who will plow for you? And would you trust them with your pride and joy? Then there are the whiners. The ones who want you to pay for repairing their lawn because you scalped a few inches because they couldn't tell you exactly where the edges of their driveway was. I also had a friend of mine who plows get sued for -- get this -- for crunching in a snowback one of those stupid gnomes that someone forgot they had at the end of their driveway. Family heirloom, they said!

All that said, I enjoy plowing. Yeah, even when I am out there at 2 am trying to keep up with a 3" per hour storm. I enjoy grabbing a coffee and firing up the rig and seeing how big of a mound I can make

Finally -- if you get a plow, find a supply of Fluid Film and spray EVERYTHING!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Wow, great reply. Thank you.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
plowing

sucks.get a snowblower only do your own driveway.i've plowed sinse 1956.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sandmanf250
Don't hold back now. Sounds cheaper anyways. Thanks for the words all.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
That's exactly what I did. Honda 6 hp 20 inch single stage convoluted auger machine...this thing throws snow...walked right through 18 inch drifts...

Regards

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I asked the exact same question a few months ago, and this is exactly what I did:

I'm in the Army, stationed up here as a recruiter. As such I have a full time job which doesn't leave me much time for plowing. Out of all the snow we have had this winter, I would have had time to plow during only a couple of them. The rest I've either been working or busy doing stuff with my family. Neither of these are things I can neglect and spend time plowing instead.

For me to spend $4,500 on a plow I'd have to be able to make a business out of it. I don't have the time or desire to do that, so I just got a big snow blower and forgot about it.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM
fixdent
Senior User
Plus you get all your friends...."come on over for coffee"......"bring your snow plow."

--
Gordon

Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Sgt93
Don't hold back now. Sounds cheaper anyways. Thanks for the words all.
You have to pardon sandman. After 50+ years of plowing you are bound to have built one too many mounds!

He is right though. Even though I enjoy it, I find myself at times wondering why the heck I am still doing it.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have one of these:

If I had to deal with snow regularly, it is really strong and will handle driveways and parking lots with ease. Snow blower is available too but the bucket and/or a plow attachment would do the trick.

Obviously, not for using on streets. But, very handy year round and when it snows you can just throw it on the trailer and take care of your friends/neighbors and their places of business in town.

Not a cheaper option but certainly more versatile. At only 48" wide on the bucket it's very easy in tight places, much less likely to damage anything. Kinda gives you good snow removability but limits your ability enough to keep you out of trouble.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I plowed for the state of Ma. as a independant plow and operator. They hire us when needed which is most storms. Pay is good ( you have to wait a few weeks but it is certain) roads are good unlike town roads. No problems with people sueing you,obsticles to hit are minium,if it turns over to rain you sit until they send you home. If your sick or have important plans they find someone to cover you.
I wish I could do that here in NH. NH doesn't hire independants.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by fixdent
Plus you get all your friends...."come on over for coffee"......"bring your snow plow."

--
Gordon
Ain't that the truth.

I actually had a twist to this. During our snowstorm last week, I get a phone call from one of my co-workers. I wouldn't call him a friend since he is responsible for putting the screws to me in our business. He was on a business trip and actually asked if I would mind going over to his house and digging his wife out!!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
shop1722
New User
I plowed with a chevy 2500hd before hooking up to my 350 cc lb diesel. What a difference. I only plow a few driveways besides our business. That's the main reaseon we only a plow is for the write off. As stated earlier, if you don't ram a snowbank at 30mph plus or don't bother braking from forward to reverse thatn all should be ok. I had no breakdowns in 6.5 years plowing with the other truck that were plowing related and when i sold the truck the plow brought an extra 2k and I paid 4 for it new.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
fatheadon1
Junior User
iv always plowed with my sd and my 2011 is no different, my plow went on in early dec and the truck has logged 65 hr plowing and not a problem. IMO the bigest thing you can do 2 save abuse on ur truck is weight, i run 2000 lbs in my and for the most part NEVER see 4wd. the guys i plow with call my truck the "bulldozer" as it moves a lotta snow effortlessly. as for my plows i run western as the have the cleanest mounting system when the plow is removed in summer you can't hardly tell the truck is a plow truck, and their is a ton of dealer support. heres a little video of my set up

Quick Reply: To plow or not to plow