1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Emergency Help. Newer Update: Steering Column Short, FIXED!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, heres whats been going on. Not sure if its related but for about 3 weeks I've been hearing a slight roaring sound coming from the drivetrain. I initially thought it was my rear gears but after really listening I'm thinking it might be a carrier bearing, had one replaced before but that one was that scubbing rubber sound you get when turning, two different sounds here so I'm sceptable. Tonite the truck still had that very light roaring sound and was more pronounced when I would downshift but would quickly dissapear. As I was getting off my exit I was going down on a incline and proceeded to downshift so I can see if that sound came back I lost my headlight, instrument cluster lights, gauges down to zero, everything but the truck idled and no pedal action, nothing, couldn't even give it some throttle to safely get to a safe spot, had to coast it to the side of the road. Now, back to the headlights, I have the lights work, headlights and running lights and dash lights but no gauge function, their all dead. I have the automatic and manual light switch, they were on the automatic headlight switch option when everything went dead, turned to the left. In this position I have no lights period, If I turned that button to the right all the running lights and headlights and gauge cluster lights work, but the gauges themself are dead, no oil pressure, no fuel, trans, coolant temp exct. gauges are dead. I put my Superchips code reader on it and it came up Throttle positioning sensor, so it make sense. I started checking fuses but couldn't remember what fuse to pull. I looked in my book in the glove as to what fuse to pull but didn't see anything for the TPS or anything related in conjunction to it so gave up until I got it home.. Hey Tyler, no, it was running fine idling, no missing just no pedal action. Stewart, thanks man, I wasn't leaving my truck. My co-worker said why don't we leave it til tomorrow but it would have been gone in the morning..or stripped..

Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that sucks! you've offered so much help to me in these situations. sounds electrical to me. I know i lost the alt once, no batt light. but everything slowly started to quit. radio, defrost fan, headlights, then dash. then the truck died. not enough volts to run the computer. i don't think you're there but start with the basics. good luck

Barney

Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike it does sound like a fuse issue to me. IIRC there is one fuse that feeds the TPS and also the dash.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not sure of the years and exact details,but isn't there an issue with wires in the steering column being chafed and causing this type of problem,it blows a fuse(not sure which one),...just thinking out loud...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

I sure hope it's just a fuse, Mike. I guess this is going to happen with the age of our trucks. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any other member near you Mike that you could swap out the TPS just as a test?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just saw this thread and I can't think of anything else to add except fuses. Perhaps a windshield leak?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
OK, heres whats been going on. Not sure if its related but for about 3 weeks I've been hearing a slight roaring sound coming from the drivetrain. I initially thought it was my rear gears but after really listening I'm thinking it might be a carrier bearing, had one replaced before but that one was that scubbing rubber sound you get when turning, two different sounds here so I'm sceptable. Tonite the truck still had that very light roaring sound and was more pronounced when I would downshift but would quickly dissapear. As I was getting off my exit I was going down on a incline and proceeded to downshift so I can see if that sound came back I lost my headlight, instrument cluster lights, gauges down to zero, everything but the truck idled and no pedal action, nothing, couldn't even give it some throttle to safely get to a safe spot, had to coast it to the side of the road. Now, back to the headlights, I have the lights work, headlights and running lights and dash lights but no gauge function, their all dead. I have the automatic and manual light switch, they were on the automatic headlight switch option when everything went dead, turned to the left. In this position I have no lights period, If I turned that button to the right all the running lights and headlights and gauge cluster lights work, but the gauges themself are dead, no oil pressure, no fuel, trans, coolant temp exct. gauges are dead. I put my Superchips code reader on it and it came up Throttle positioning sensor, so it make sense. I started checking fuses but couldn't remember what fuse to pull. I looked in my book in the glove as to what fuse to pull but didn't see anything for the TPS or anything related in conjunction to it so gave up until I got it home.. Hey Tyler, no, it was running fine idling, no missing just no pedal action. Stewart, thanks man, I wasn't leaving my truck. My co-worker said why don't we leave it til tomorrow but it would have been gone in the morning..or stripped..
Mike, based on your recent post...I would definitely look at your fuses. I don't have a fuse diagram for the 2003 models but my truck has a fuse that powers the APC module, instrument cluster, GEM module, OD switch , Idle validation switch and overhead console. You said your dash lights went out and your throttle was dead so I would check that fuse. On my truck it's fuse #19 (10amp), but I think they changed the fuse box arrangement around 2002 so yours will probably be different. At any rate, check whichever fuse powers those things.

The headlight switch automatic mode probably gets power from that same circuit.

Now, on to the source of the issue. You said you downshifted and the problems started. I am assuming you have an automatic (by your sig) so that leads me to suspect the wiring inside your column. If you do find a blown fuse then I recommend you check the wiring inside your column for some chaffed wires.

I hope it's a simple fix. Sorry to hear about your troubles last night. If I was nearby, I would have been right there to help if possible.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure if its the right type but i think i have my old TPS. It had an intermitent problem so i replaced it. If i still have it and you want to try it its yours. let me know and ill look for it.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Also try pulling the fuse for the PCM, wait a minute and reinstall. A long shot but when I lost all my gauges & dash instruments reseting this fuse fixed my problem.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
cgl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, on my 02, there is an "Instrument Cluster" fuse (2 of them to be exact). When I pulled 1 of them out (cannot remember if it was 35 or 41), the cluster (all gauges and lights) and radio lost power. Everything else, including my throttle, was working fine.

Just as a thought, have you tried swapping any relays?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bfife
Man that sucks! you've offered so much help to me in these situations. sounds electrical to me. I know i lost the alt once, no batt light. but everything slowly started to quit. radio, defrost fan, headlights, then dash. then the truck died. not enough volts to run the computer. i don't think you're there but start with the basics. good luck

Barney
Its my turn Barney, I'm giving you a break, lol. Second time getting towed here but the first was under warranty, flat tire with no spare key. Found the problem, see below..

Originally Posted by megawatt00
Mike it does sound like a fuse issue to me. IIRC there is one fuse that feeds the TPS and also the dash.
Your right Jim, see below my findings

Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I'm not sure of the years and exact details,but isn't there an issue with wires in the steering column being chafed and causing this type of problem,it blows a fuse(not sure which one),...just thinking out loud...
This might be what I'm doing next Phil, see below..

Originally Posted by miller_feed
I sure hope it's just a fuse, Mike. I guess this is going to happen with the age of our trucks. Good luck.
I hope not Rick but gotta go with the flow, see below what I found.

Originally Posted by DieselCamper01
Any other member near you Mike that you could swap out the TPS just as a test?
Yea but I got it in my driveway, just got done inspecting it, see below.

Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Just saw this thread and I can't think of anything else to add except fuses. Perhaps a windshield leak?
No leaks although my windshield is cracked but no water leaks. It has been snowy, icey rainy, exct here so who knows. See below Chris, thanks.

Originally Posted by gchavez
Mike, based on your recent post...I would definitely look at your fuses. I don't have a fuse diagram for the 2003 models but my truck has a fuse that powers the APC module, instrument cluster, GEM module, OD switch , Idle validation switch and overhead console. You said your dash lights went out and your throttle was dead so I would check that fuse. On my truck it's fuse #19 (10amp), but I think they changed the fuse box arrangement around 2002 so yours will probably be different. At any rate, check whichever fuse powers those things.

The headlight switch automatic mode probably gets power from that same circuit.

Now, on to the source of the issue. You said you downshifted and the problems started. I am assuming you have an automatic (by your sig) so that leads me to suspect the wiring inside your column. If you do find a blown fuse then I recommend you check the wiring inside your column for some chaffed wires.

I hope it's a simple fix. Sorry to hear about your troubles last night. If I was nearby, I would have been right there to help if possible.
Yep, automatic here and I checked the fuses, see below my findings and thank you Greg..

Originally Posted by bama29fan
not sure if its the right type but i think i have my old TPS. It had an intermitent problem so i replaced it. If i still have it and you want to try it its yours. let me know and ill look for it.
Your the man Shawn, hell of an offer but I think it might be something else, see below.

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Also try pulling the fuse for the PCM, wait a minute and reinstall. A long shot but when I lost all my gauges & dash instruments reseting this fuse fixed my problem.
Didn't have to do that but thanks Rich. See below what cost me a 176.00 tow..

Originally Posted by cgl
FWIW, on my 02, there is an "Instrument Cluster" fuse (2 of them to be exact). When I pulled 1 of them out (cannot remember if it was 35 or 41), the cluster (all gauges and lights) and radio lost power. Everything else, including my throttle, was working fine.

Just as a thought, have you tried swapping any relays?
No relay swap but here goes. I went out and started the truck, no problem but still no pedal. I pulled fuse #13 #15 #19 per Clay and people here, nothing, fuses were fine. Pulled fuse #45 and walla, the 10 amp fuse was blown. #45 fuse is my (Ignition Switch Run/ Start Feed). What am I looking at, something in the collum?? I'm assuming since I downshifted, the wires in my collum are suspect, correct?? I'm going out to see what I find now and get back to you all, a big thanks. Even when theres no problems with my truck I bless this site and the folks on it for the help, this is certainly the Brotherhood at its finest..

Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you may find something like this. It's part of the harness that drapes over the steering column from the shift selector.

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am happy for you that you're at least getting this narrowed down Mike. Best of luck

Old 02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
..... Pulled fuse #45 and walla, the 10 amp fuse was blow. #45 fuse is my (Ignition Switch Run/ Start Feed). What am I looking at, something in the collum?? I'm assuming since I downshifted, the wires in my collum are suspect, correct?? ..
Progress. Cool. Yeah, I would get inside that column and see what you find.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Emergency Help. Newer Update: Steering Column Short, FIXED!!!!!