6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Big Blizzard of 2011 - Looking for More Stuff to Pull Out!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Blizzard of 2011 - Looking for More Stuff to Pull Out!

It's the morning after the "BIG BLIZZARD"...so off to dig out the place. About an hour in I got my tractor with front blade stuck in a 4' drift (no chains on it cause I don't want to scratch up driveway)....*&*%R*....so off to the shed to get the F350.

Backed up to tractor on opposite side of drift - cause I figured what the heck lets pull it through all 15' of it (I really didn't have a good angle on the back side of tractor).

* The rear view camera is really nice for this !!!

Opened tailgate - swung out swing case tool box, retrieved essential items, put in the 2.5" to 2" adapter, hitch, clevice, 30'X3" tow strap, struggle-jump-struggle through snow drift, secured tow strap to blade on tractor, struggle-jump-struggle back to truck, beat off all of the snow, jumped back in truck, put in 4 Lo, and proceeded to pull the tractor through the whole drift quite effortlessly...

I was really suprised the truck got traction in this stuff and pulled so smooth, I barely used any rpms at all (probably doesn't hurt the tires only have 430miles on them - Michelins).

Now I'm hooked...I need to find more stuff to pull. Hey get off my shoulder

Old 02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Brian tell me you don't have Contis

Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It didn't happen if you don't have pics.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Originally Posted by flaharleyguy
Brian tell me you don't have Contis
flaharleyguy,

I got lucky, truck showed up with 275/70-18 Michelin LTX A/T-2's !!!

They are quiet and seem pretty sure footed...time will tell if they "chunk" like the 20's mentioned on this forum.

<!-- Sidewall Style Box -->Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
Sidewall Shown: Blackwall
<!-- End Sidewall Style Box -->

Click thumbnails to view above. Most approximate photos shown View Full Screen Photo.

<FORM id=tireForm0 method=get name=tireForm0 action=/cart/AddItemServlet><TABLE style="DISPLAY: none" class=productresults border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><THEAD><TR><TD colSpan=2>
</TD></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD class=info>

</TD><TD class="ecom "><INPUT id=wishlist0 value=false type=hidden name=wishlist> <INPUT id=shipquote0 value=N type=hidden name=shipquote> <INPUT value=/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+A%2FT+2 type=hidden name=ProductPage> <INPUT value=true type=hidden name=AddToUser> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>

Old 02-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Brian Uhlenhake
It's the morning after the "BIG BLIZZARD"...so off to dig out the place. About an hour in I got my tractor with front blade stuck in a 4' drift (no chains on it cause I don't want to scratch up driveway)....*&*%R*....so off to the shed to get the F350.

Backed up to tractor on opposite side of drift - cause I figured what the heck lets pull it through all 15' of it (I really didn't have a good angle on the back side of tractor).

* The rear view camera is really nice for this !!!

Opened tailgate - swung out swing case tool box, retrieved essential items, put in the 2.5" to 2" adapter, hitch, clevice, 30'X3" tow strap, struggle-jump-struggle through snow drift, secured tow strap to blade on tractor, struggle-jump-struggle back to truck, beat off all of the snow, jumped back in truck, put in 4 Lo, and proceeded to pull the tractor through the whole drift quite effortlessly...

I was really suprised the truck got traction in this stuff and pulled so smooth, I barely used any rpms at all (probably doesn't hurt the tires only have 430miles on them - Michelins).

Now I'm hooked...I need to find more stuff to pull. Hey get off my shoulder
Before I am called a SOB for preying on the naive, old or stupid -- let me preface my situation back then. When I was going to college, my summer job cash ran out right after Christmas break. So... to make some money in addition to the money I made bouncing in a local bar on weekends, I would patrol the obvious spots for what I called the "stuckees". Being the "unstucker" I found my highest connect rates in the following locations after a snowstorm:

1) Near high schools in the morning and in the afternoons (I knew how much of an idiot I was in high school -- they never disappointed me)
2) During the gray rush hour and near the W.C. Grants, Woolworth's or Sear's. For those of you not familar with "gray rush hour", it is defined as the time more mature drivers could be found on the road -- usually after the morning rush and 3 pm.
3) After local bars closed
4) Sunday mornings. For some reason Catholics seem to find the almighty ditch more often.

I can tell you also where not to bother. Highways... Even before cell phones, it always seemed like a tow truck was trolling on them.

Happy towing...

Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I moved into the "burbs" from the Thumb of Michigan, I do not get the opportunity to have so much fun...and make a few bucks...We got enough to go out trolling this morning but by the time I got my drive and 2 neighbors cleaned up I had seen enough snow. Good coffee was more to my liking...

Old 02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Brian Uhlenhake
Senior User
Marauder92v,

You were just applying the basic rule to being successful...

"Success is where Preparedness meets Opportunity"

In your case both parties won...basically you were having fun & making a little money and the stuck people were respectfully saying,

- "Alright!, I don't have to call dad"
- "That was a very nice young man to help me like that"
- "Whew its not a cop wondering why I'm down here in this ditch"
- "Thank God for sending help"

Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Brian Uhlenhake
Marauder92v,

You were just applying the basic rule to being successful...

"Success is where Preparedness meets Opportunity"

In your case both parties won...basically you were having fun & making a little money and the stuck people were respectfully saying,

- "Alright!, I don't have to call dad"
- "That was a very nice young man to help me like that"
- "Whew its not a cop wondering why I'm down here in this ditch"
- "Thank God for sending help"
LOL! So true. I also saved them a bundle of money and the hassle of catching a ride to someone's house so they could call the tow truck.

The unfortunate thing about today's world is that I'd be afraid too much about getting sued if the tow didn't go okay. It played into my decision last winter to help a kid out who got stuck in a ditch. The whole backside of that car was plastic and I knew there was a good chance I would have done damage.

But there was always good sense of pride back in the "old" days knowing you were helping.

Search this Thread