6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Anyone know what % mark-up there is over invoice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Anyone know what % mark-up there is over invoice?

I am just curious if anyone knows what the percentage of mark-up there is on 2011 6.7's between invoice and MSRP. Does it depend on how the truck is equipped? Any guess as to a range?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8.5% to 10% seems to be about right depending on MSRP. Then add on rebates and such ($3500 right now) to get around $10K off list. Also, you asked about invoice and not actual dealer cost (net/net) which can be hard to get to, but isn't an impossible goal if you find the right dealer.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve

Due to volume discounts, advertising credits and dealer hold-back, it is almost impossible to get to actual dealer invoice cost. "X" plan is a good indicator of what you might pay for a truck but there are guys here that have done as well, or maybe better, than "X" plan on their own. Fortunately for us, Deb's dad is a retired Ford engineer and we get employee pricing.

Regards

Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 PM
alandeon
Junior User
Wink

well, I'm up here in the middle of a storm in Ontario Canada right now. Actually it's fine. A least I know how to drive, which is more than I can say for some of my fellow commuters...

The MSRP price for my fully loaded build is $77,500 Canadian including frieght, which is much higher than you guys pay anyway, but that's a different issue.

That's for basically a fully loaded 2011 F250 4x4 Crewcab diesel ( but without King Ranch seats)

I had a salesman quote me $62,500 right off the bat, whichis about 19%.

And I'm still trying to negotiate a couple other small items.

I'll know my exact price soon enough but up here 19% is feasable on a loaded truck since he actually started there.

You'll have to get some recent buyers on your side off the wall to calculate the exact percentage using US prices

Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 PM
paver56
Freshman User
I bought a leftover F150 extended cab stx and ordered a 2011 F150 cc platinum and an F350 6.7 cc lariat. I think I averaged about 13% off of the sticker. Shop around-on the two that I ordered, I went to my local dealer that we have dealt with for years and then went to a couple others farther away. I ended up getting about a $1900 better deal on the two I ordered.
By the way, I have been a ford man for years and am extremely impressed with all three of the new truck.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I paid 500 UNDER invoice plus incentives for my truck.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
I paid 500 UNDER invoice plus incentives for my truck.
And what did you trade? How did you finance - what rate and how long?

A "sale price" of the vehicle being under invoice doesn't mean the dealer isn't making money. You still have two other areas that may potentially be available for them to make $$ - unless you bought it outright without a trade, or had no trade and got your own financing in which case the dealer wouldn't be involved in that process other than recieving the $$ from the bank from whom you financed through.

I am just trying to get a better idea of the numbers in this game. They've changed since I got my last one. I wish I didn't have to play the game again but sometimes circumstances are beyond our control. The best situation I can get myself in is to understand the current market

Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
sandyc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't really know for sure, but have a generally good guess.

A good friend of mine, who was a banker, before retiring, lent money many times to a Chevy dealer for their operation, which included auto payments. Not all dealers deal in consignments. He said most vehicles were at 22% +/- depending on how fast the car makers wanted results. With that in mind, a 60K (MSRP) would cost a dealer about 46.8K. Invoice (what they show you) would be about 50.4K or 16% off MSRP (this would probably include incentives) or some where's close to that. He also said that 17-18% would usually buy, if it wasn't an extremely popular model at that time and that would be a good deal for all concerned. I personally did not get the 18%, but did get 17.1% (including incentives) and I was satisfied. This was a few years back, so things might be entirely different now-a-days.

This might give you a little something to think about, but don't let a few bucks scare you off if that's what you really want. Understand all the numbers, sales-people can be a little less than honorable. These trucks are great, don't let something slip-away. Just my un-biased opinion.

Last edited by sandyc; 02-02-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Corrected wording
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by sandyc
This might give you a little something to think about, but don't let a few bucks scare you off if that's what you really want. Understand all the numbers, sales-people can be a little less than honorable. These trucks are great, don't let something slip-away. Just my un-biased opinion.
I know exactly what you mean. Thats how I got my 6.4. I ended up paying more than I wanted to but it was the right truck. That sticker was $54,800. A comparable 2011 truck now is right about $61,000, give or take, today. All the numbers that have been worked up are putting me $165-$200 more a month than what I was paying in my 6.4. Thats a really big pill to swollow. The only way to knock the amount of a payment down is to kill it up front or stretch it out. Otherwise anything more I do above and beyond that after sale will only go to shorten the term, not decrease the amount.

That 17% would get me a little more down to earth on my payments. Looks like I am sitting at about 11-12% with the way the numbers look, but then again they put in there "plus tax, title, and fees".

Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 AM
RPARKER559
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
Steve

Due to volume discounts, advertising credits and dealer hold-back, it is almost impossible to get to actual dealer invoice cost. "X" plan is a good indicator of what you might pay for a truck but there are guys here that have done as well, or maybe better, than "X" plan on their own. Fortunately for us, Deb's dad is a retired Ford engineer and we get employee pricing.

Regards

Mine was about 2 grand under x plan

Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
And what did you trade? How did you finance - what rate and how long?

A "sale price" of the vehicle being under invoice doesn't mean the dealer isn't making money. You still have two other areas that may potentially be available for them to make $$ - unless you bought it outright without a trade, or had no trade and got your own financing in which case the dealer wouldn't be involved in that process other than recieving the $$ from the bank from whom you financed through.

I am just trying to get a better idea of the numbers in this game. They've changed since I got my last one. I wish I didn't have to play the game again but sometimes circumstances are beyond our control. The best situation I can get myself in is to understand the current market
the dealer has whats called a hold back and I think that is about 3% so even if they are selling at invoice they are still making the hold back.

I did have a trade however it was shown as an in and out for tax purposes only, meaning it was not part of the sale price in any way. the financing I could have done myself or with them that didn't matter. but I did end up going with them. invoice price can be found at edmunds.com there is usually about a $600 advertising fee they don't include in their invoice price.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

There are a couple of threads on this, but in a nutshell you should be able to do a clean deal (order the truck, no Ford financing and no trade in) at or below invoice plus incentives. I had one desperate dealer show me the actual dealer cost in an effort to split it with me. For a F350, CC, SWB it was $1,700 and change.

Another dealer that I purchased from did the same deal (~$900 below invoice) and honored the $3,500 in incentives that were in place when I ordered. I later learned Ford authorized them to do this (they were trying to leverage it as something they were doing for me).

You should be able to find a good deal. Just make sure if you order that the dealer actually has an allocation slot available for the truck.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
GoFastMav
New User
For Ford trucks, generally List price is 10% more than the invoice on the base model... This can change due to options though. There is more than a 10% markup on say an XLT, Lariat or King Ranch due to options. All options have more than 10% markup in them. The more options, the greater the spread will be above the baseline 10% markup...

Ford dealers get paid 3% of the invoice price (aka "holdback") to sell you the vehicle. Keep in mind that the dealer has to make money also. They have to pay what is called a "floorplan" fee. Ford gives the dealer 60 days to sell the vehicle, after 60 days the dealer has to pay interest to Ford based on the invoice price... Also include salesman's compensation, detailing, dealership costs etc.

X-plan is 1.5% over invoice... (somebody who supplies Ford with a product to make the vehicles such as Dana or Air Products)

Z-plan is around invoice and is available to Blue Oval Certified dealership employees...

A-plan is a direct Ford employee and they can buy 2 vehicles a year at about 5% under invoice...

Incentives and rebates have nothing to do with the invoice price, just the bottom line. There may or may not be un-advertised incentives available to dealers to sell you a certain model. Only the dealer knows.

Most dealers will let you retail order (look for OT-1 on the window sticker) for about $500 over invoice since they know they won't be paying a floorplan fee, due to the fact that the buyer is anxious to come pick their truck up... If you're looking for a better deal, look on the lot for a vehicle that has been there for more than 60 days. The dealer is paying a floorplan fee on that vehicle and will be anxious to get rid of it. Some models though, which are hot sellers like an F350 Crew cab shortbed Lariat 4x4 diesel will command a higher price, because if you don't pay the higher price that the dealer commands, somebody else will!

Also, buy vehicles at the end of the month. Salesman's are closer to bonus and the region dealer data is calculated then. So if somebody wants to come out on top, they're definetly going to be more aggressive at the end of the month...

Dealers make their money on used vehicles, which is a whole other ball game lol.

I've sold vehicles for years, any other questions, PM me...

Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Distant Thunder
New User
When I was selling Fords, I'd just sit down with the customer, and lay it out for them. Dealer cost, $500.00 for the store (my commision was based on this) and prep, tax & title... I moved a lot of units, but the managers didnt like my style... Needless to say, I'm not sellin' any more.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Yeah, I can see where selling everything that low would get to be a downfall for the dealer as a whole. In my business (ag equipment) our goal for this year is to bring up margins by 1% or more. When everyone is in the habbit of dropping pants and closing deals 1% is a real challenge Though, I'm on a different side of all of that - technology support, not "sales". Its interesting to watch though.

I am going to start investigating some things this week with a new truck. I have held off for a while to smooth some things out. If everything is looking good I will order here in a bit.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what % mark-up there is over invoice?