EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

max trailer tow/ecoboost/mpg

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
FI50
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seminary Ranger,

You have a point. A variable to add to your discussion is the drag of moving mass at speed. Smaller engines and lower speeds have lower frictional losses. Higher speeds reach a point of diminishing returns as friction and the work of pumping all that air through the engine overcome the power being produced by the engine.

Lower gearing does provide greater torque at the rear wheels resulting in quicker acceleration, but there is no free lunch implied in the first law of thermodynamics ... energy is simply converted from one form to another. The efficiency found in the EB concept is to create more power with less rotational drag (friction), with a lighter engine and state of the art engine management. IMHO the six speed transmission makes rear axle ratio selection less important than it used to be. There are simply more gear ratios to use.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While the EB has a broad powerband, it doesn't mean that it's equally efficient at producing rated torque across that range. There is some RPM point where fuel burn is minimized while producing maximum torque.

You want to select a final drive ratio (transmission + rear end) that keeps you at close to this optimal point for as much of the time as possible. Unfortunately, without very careful experiments being done, the amount of information provided to the average truck buyer is not sufficient to accurately determine this.

My feeling is that the 3.73 is sufficient for someone choosing to run stock or close-to-stock tire sizes. The 4.10 exists if you want to go to larger tires (see: Raptor) and don't want to have to regear.

If the 4.10 produced better mileage on the standard EPA tests than the 3.73, you can be rest assured that it would be the standard rear end for this motor...

Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
That's why I tried to say that there's a happy medium in there somewhere when it comes to getting the best possible mileage with the best acceleration.

I ended up ordering the 3.73 ratio behind the EcoBoost but only because the wife really didn't want the trailer tow mirrors included with the Max-Tow Package which you have to select to get the 4.10 ratio. Since those mirrors aren't PowerFold mirrors, we feared the drive-thru at Sonic was at too great of risk of getting smacked! And the bank. And the garage door... haha!

We're probably going to add a size or two large tire in the near future after the truck is delivered, that's the main reason for us wanting the 4.10:1 axle. To counteract some of that increased engine load of taller, more aggressive tires.

As much as I'd like to squeak around that pesky law of thermodynamics, I'll just keep that little 3.5L as happy as I can through gearing.

Thanks for the good discussion!

Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
If your intent is to go to bigger tires, I think I would've gone with the 4.10s and either dealt with the mirrors (I have the dumbo ears and love them... then again, I have a topper with no rear visibility) or replace them/swap them with someone. It would be cheaper and far less work to swap mirrors than to regear, especially if you're going 4WD.

It would be great to get an insider's opinion on gear ratio selection for this motor, since it's such a different beast compared to the motors we're all used to...

Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no one has made mention of the 3:55 rear end! i would like to hear what we have to say on that rear end lol.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:30 AM
grm61
Senior User
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
no one has made mention of the 3:55 rear end! i would like to hear what we have to say on that rear end lol.
You can't get the max tow package with 355s, also the rated towing capacity is reduced to 9800lbs,

You can't get the offroad package or the electric locking rear diff. either with that ratio.

Greg

Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by excaliber551
It might be bad for busines but Toyota's rating is real life. I wish all manufactures used the same system right now.

These half tons can't handle that weight and people shouldn't think they can do it.

If you tow that much weight that often you should be doing it with an F250.
I don't understand why I hear this so much. This isn't an 84 F150. These new F150s have bigger brakes, stronger frames, more powerful engines, and stronger transmissions with more gears than the older Super Dutys that were towing everything. Now the F150s even have integrated trailer brake controllers and sway control. IMO there is no reason why they can't tow exactly what they are rated for if you drive within sanity.

Mike

Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM
wolf189
Senior User

Originally Posted by BLK94F150
I don't understand why I hear this so much. This isn't an 84 F150. These new F150s have bigger brakes, stronger frames, more powerful engines, and stronger transmissions with more gears than the older Super Dutys that were towing everything. Now the F150s even have integrated trailer brake controllers and sway control. IMO there is no reason why they can't tow exactly what they are rated for if you drive within sanity.

Mike
agreed. if the truck couldn't handle the load Ford wouldn't give it a tow rating that says it can... IF you drive smart (which is a rule that applies equally to ANY full size pickup from ANY manufacturer btw). If someone with heavier towning needs feels more comfortable going up to a F-250/350 (and is willing/able to afford the price difference) then they are free to make that choice but, if it's within the rated capability of an F-150 and that's the truck that you want then why should you have to pay the extra $$ to step up to the F-250/350?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
I can agree to a point but that is only for towing on flat ground and towing very little. Take that EB and try to tow close to max capacity on a consistant basis in hilly conditions and you'll wear that truck out in no time. And you'll also be getting way less than 8MPG at best

Just because it's rated to tow 11K or whatever the rating is doesn't mean you should do it or it's really capable of doing it. If you will be towing over 70% of max load on a regular basis the EB or a F150 isn't the way to go.

The transmissions while stronger are still underbuilt for the weight they think this truck can handle. All I'm saying is that if you're towing once or twice a month only at 7000 pounds then it's ok. If you are going to pull more than that or that much all the time a F150 is a poor choice.

Originally Posted by BLK94F150

Mike

Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
I can agree to a point but that is only for towing on flat ground and towing very little. Take that EB and try to tow close to max capacity on a consistant basis in hilly conditions and you'll wear that truck out in no time. And you'll also be getting way less than 8MPG at best

Just because it's rated to tow 11K or whatever the rating is doesn't mean you should do it or it's really capable of doing it. If you will be towing over 70% of max load on a regular basis the EB or a F150 isn't the way to go.

The transmissions while stronger are still underbuilt for the weight they think this truck can handle. All I'm saying is that if you're towing once or twice a month only at 7000 pounds then it's ok. If you are going to pull more than that or that much all the time a F150 is a poor choice.
I guess you didn't watch the torture test where they towed 11000 lbs for 24 hours at max throttle? If she can handle that, the ecoboost and truck can handle anything that you can throw at it.

What qualifications do you have to back up your statements that the tranny is under sized, and that "you will wear that truck out in no time?" None? Oh, that's what I thought

I take it you are just jealous because you can't have one?

Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I guess you didn't watch the torture test where they towed 11000 lbs for 24 hours at max throttle? If she can handle that, the ecoboost and truck can handle anything that you can throw at it.

What qualifications do you have to back up your statements that the tranny is under sized, and that "you will wear that truck out in no time?" None? Oh, that's what I thought

I take it you are just jealous because you can't have one?
I did watch the torture test. Yep they were pulling that 11000 pound trailer up and down all kinds of hills in high elevation terrain weren't they . Yup I saw that. Apparently you don't understand physics. It's pretty dang easy to tow something on flat ground with no stops and starts on a banked track once it's moving and keep it moving, yup looks pretty hard alright.

I have no qualifications at all on the tranny but someone I know who works for Ford here in the Valley as a mechanic and has done so for over 15 years said so.
I belive him more than you internet jockeys who wear the rose colored glasses.
Anyone with half a brain wouldn't select the F150 to tow anywhere close to max weight on a consistant basis.

I would order one right now if I wanted to but I'm not sold on them yet. Being burned by every Ford I've ever owned in the past has me leery about jumping in on this EB especially since the MPG's are really dissapointing.

Anyone with more brains than money would know it's best to watch anything new Ford comes out with for a while before jumping in. The EB has yet to be proven and with $4.00 a gallon or higher Gas on the horizon I'd wait until late summer or the end of the year before I jumped in if I really wanted one. Being first to own anything new from Ford isn't always the most prudent move.

It's pretty funny how some poeple like you who know nothing about others motives or financial situations like to jump in with ridiculous comments about jealousy or not being able to afford something when they disagree about the Homers vehicle of choice.

Too funny.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:37 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
I did watch the torture test. Yep they were pulling that 11000 pound trailer up and down all kinds of hills in high elevation terrain weren't they . Yup I saw that. Apparently you don't understand physics. It's pretty dang easy to tow something on flat ground with no stops and starts on a banked track once it's moving and keep it moving, yup looks pretty hard alright.

I have no qualifications at all on the tranny but someone I know who works for Ford here in the Valley as a mechanic and has done so for over 15 years said so.
I belive him more than you internet jockeys who wear the rose colored glasses.
Anyone with half a brain wouldn't select the F150 to tow anywhere close to max weight on a consistant basis.

I would order one right now if I wanted to but I'm not sold on them yet. Being burned by every Ford I've ever owned in the past has me leery about jumping in on this EB especially since the MPG's are really dissapointing.

Anyone with more brains than money would know it's best to watch anything new Ford comes out with for a while before jumping in. The EB has yet to be proven and with $4.00 a gallon or higher Gas on the horizon I'd wait until late summer or the end of the year before I jumped in if I really wanted one. Being first to own anything new from Ford isn't always the most prudent move.

It's pretty funny how some poeple like you who know nothing about others motives or financial situations like to jump in with ridiculous comments about jealousy or not being able to afford something when they disagree about the Homers vehicle of choice.

Too funny.
Who do you think I believe? you and your mechanic or the Ford engineer that said that the tranny is plenty stout. Take a guess!

As far as hills go, first of all if truck can run around a NASCAR track WOT towing 11000 lbs a few hills are not going to stop it. No, it might not do as good as my diesel but I don't expect it too. Sure it might need premium fuel and lose a few horses in extreme heat- so what? It's got plenty to spare and a flat torque curve to boot and it's a whole lot cheaper than a diesel both upfront and in maintenance

As far as not having any brains for ordering an ecoboost engine right now, I believe that they added another shift at the engine plant to keep up with demand for the ecoboost. Sure must be alot of dumba$$es like me out there.

It's pretty funny how some people get on these FORD forums, bad mouth the products and think that they are immune from being bashed.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
I never complained once about getting bashed.

I expect people like you to come to Ford's defense. I am still looking for a truck. I have been for a few years now. I wanted a Tundra but they are a POS and I wasn't going for a 5.4.

I hope Ford opens two more shifts for the EB and then when gas hits close to 5.00 a gallon later this summer they'll be giving them away.

If the EB pans out in real world driving later this year maybe I'll scoop one up at 10k off.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Guys, there's not much point in this argument. Go look at Excaliber's posting history... he stirs up crap in every forum he visits. Ford builds crap, but Toyotas are crap except for their drivetrain, but the EB will never happen, but Ford needs a major bailout to survive, on and on...

In short, just another forum troll.

I anxiously await Excaliber's witty retort, which I will be so kind as to ignore.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM
wolf189
Senior User

Smile

Originally Posted by tvsjr
Guys, there's not much point in this argument. Go look at Excaliber's posting history... he stirs up crap in every forum he visits. Ford builds crap, but Toyotas are crap except for their drivetrain, but the EB will never happen, but Ford needs a major bailout to survive, on and on...

In short, just another forum troll.

I anxiously await Excaliber's witty retort, which I will be so kind as to ignore.
well, I for one am enjoying following the troll-baiting so I would encourage you to sit back, relax, and ignore the admittedly obvious pointlessness of arguing with this guy. after all, i just got a fresh bowl of popcorn ready so, let's see what new brilliant comeback excaliber can come up with next. want some popcorn tvsjr?

Quick Reply: max trailer tow/ecoboost/mpg