Sponsored by: Moser

Inoperable Vehicle Violation letter from the city

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Inoperable Vehicle Violation letter from the city

I received a letter from The Virginia Beach Department of Housing and Neighborhood Preservation today. It states " Vehichle has neither valid licence plates nor a valid Inspection decal" Inspection: 10/10. in cap's, "VEHICLE NEEDS TO BE LEGAL OR REMOVED".

My truck is a restored 76 F250 4x4 that I just painted in October with Dupont Chroma Base Candy Apple Red. It runs awsome with a fresh 390\headers and has 33" tires with shiney outlaw rims. Everything works on this truck. It's not exactly a junkyard looking hunk of junk.

The truck sit's in my driveway, not the city street. It get's driven only a few times a year, maybe 200 miles. It was my fathers truck, and my brother and I do some kind of major work on it every couple of years. IE: Powder coat the frame, replace the engine, add headers, add positaction front and rear, etc. It's an excuse for us to get together and have a little family fun.

I dont drive the truck that often because I do not need to, and I didnt even think about the state inspection, which it would pass with flying colors, or the tags. As I said, it sit's 99% of the time. What a bunch of BS!!!!! I have 7 day's to correct the violation. I ordered the tag's tonight via the internet from the DMV. The online DMV message stated that it could take up to 15 day's to receive my tag's via the mail. I need the tags to drive it to get the state inspection, hmmmmmmm..this could get interesting.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you print off a receipt when you ordered your plates? That should be enough to hold them off until they come and you can get it inspected.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Somebody on C/L is selling antique tags, the black ones, but if you get the historic or antique vehicle tags, they are available because of your trucks age, you only buy the tag 1 time and state inspection is no longer required. From what I've been told. Good luck with it.
You must have an enemy in the neighborhood or just a busy body that can't mind their own business and has nothing better to do than make peoples life miserable.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM
7Ford6
Senior User
Welcome to the Land of the Free..... lol... Make sure you print out a copy of the online DMV receipt to carry with you and to show to the you know who if your plates don't get there in time.... I wouldn't worry about driving it for a few weeks with the print out in hand, just be ready to meet and greet your local traffic law protectors without the plates....

Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rico47635
Did you print off a receipt when you ordered your plates? That should be enough to hold them off until they come and you can get it inspected.
No, the flippin printer is out of ink. A part of me wants to see what would happen if this A hole inspecter tow's my truck after seven day's even though I ordered the tags, and I have no proof, but he DMV and my CC prove otherwise. Part of me does not want to tell him and see what happens to an over zealus inspector for towing my truck before the tag's arrive. Oh by the way, my next door neighbor's car, 50 feet away, has a rejection sticker and his tag's have been expired since Feb 09. Clearly visable from the street. The man had to get out of his car to see my sticker, because the truck is parked front end toward my garage, away fom the street, yet he missed the nieghbor's..

I have Tag's on the truck, they just expired in October.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
You must have pi*sed someone in the neighborhood off.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't understand how someone can come on to your property and visualize the plates/inspection decal. Isn't that trespassing?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
7Ford6
Senior User
"No, the flippin printer is out of ink"

Don't delete that email, you can print it out anywhere, even at the local library, or Kinko's, ect... Stick a copy on the dash and forget 'bout it...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Young ford boy
New User
It's all a bunch of crap. I received a notice that I had to have my truck inspected for proper EPA equipment. Apparently it turns out a neighbor complained that my truck was too loud leaving for work every morning at 5 am and assumed that I had just cut my exhaust off. Psh. If he only knew..

Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Riderman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
Somebody on C/L is selling antique tags, the black ones, but if you get the historic or antique vehicle tags, they are available because of your trucks age, you only buy the tag 1 time and state inspection is no longer required. From what I've been told. Good luck with it.
You must have an enemy in the neighborhood or just a busy body that can't mind their own business and has nothing better to do than make peoples life miserable.
If true, I would LOVE to find out, so I can go measure their grass height every week During the snowstorm a few weeks a go a window shutter fell down. I got cited today for that as well. Geesh, I work for the Navy and have not been home much lately. At least he gave me 30 day's for that.

I just read the fine print: I can be fined up to $500.00 in addition to any penalties, the vehicle can be referred for immediate removal after the 7 day period and sold at public auction or demolished. In addition to the cost of removal, storage and disposal, a $150.00 admin fee will be charged to the owner. Wow, it's just an old tuck...cheaper to keep her.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
If you call up to the city hall or whatever and talk to someone up there, I'm sure you'll find out if it's the inspector or one of your neighbors who has the hard on. My guess is a neighbor complaint since he didn't ticket the expired car next door. Happens around here too. My neighborhood actually has an ordinance that makes it illegal for you to work on your car in the driveway. I do it anyway. Can't wait til I can move rural and not be bothered by neighbors. Don't even get me started on HOA's

Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
CraigOutdoors
Elder User
Originally Posted by Young ford boy
It's all a bunch of crap. I received a notice that I had to have my truck inspected for proper EPA equipment. Apparently it turns out a neighbor complained that my truck was too loud leaving for work every morning at 5 am and assumed that I had just cut my exhaust off. Psh. If he only knew..
I'd stop in front of his house and rev my engine every morning.

Originally Posted by Riderman
If true, I would LOVE to find out, so I can go measure their grass height every week During the snowstorm a few weeks a go a window shutter fell down. I got cited today for that as well. Geesh, I work for the Navy and have not been home much lately. At least he gave me 30 day's for that.
Heh. I hate cutting grass. Before my bro moved in I'd cut it once or twice a year when I got the warning citation. Usually didn't get caught til the back yard was hip high. I actually kept it cut down this past year.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
HotrodSmurf
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
even with tags i'd raise hell. my folks had to extent our fence to around the side yard and i had to weasel my old ford into hiding spots cause of my whiney *** neighbors. if it clear up the drive and pretty to boot i'd give em something to whine about but i'm horrible neighbor i know sema has this whole thing for the preservation of the hobby but i haven't looked into it really, i'd check that out just to see whose on your side.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
I don't understand how someone can come on to your property and visualize the plates/inspection decal. Isn't that trespassing?
There is a law or ordinance in Va. Beach that requires you to have the license plate visible even on your property. If you have a car or truck cover on the vehicle there has to be a window so the tag can be seen from the street.
By the way you never will own property in Va. or anywhere else in the US as you really only buy the right to live somewhere if you pay the low rent the city, county and state charges you on a yearly basis. That is called property tax. If you don't pay on a yearly basis they will place a lein on the property and after a few years of interest and penalties they will evict you and sell the property to one of their lawyer pals or a relative using the sham of a public auction.
AH YES, THE HOME OF THE FREE!! I guess we will have to see what else Obama and Washington have in store for us.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM
PRUSue
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
Wow I'd been reading about the proliferation of these local ordinances in Hot Rod and Car Craft but hadn't heard of it happening to anyone yet. It is really terrible how much control towns are taking over our personal property. Guess it is time to donate to SEMA.

Quick Reply: Inoperable Vehicle Violation letter from the city