Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Senior User

andrewzx92000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Plus nobody sells these brackets aftermarket they are oem. Most of the stabilizers I found in salvage places the stabilizer was shot, so just got the brackets.
AE
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Freshman User

VanDiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I ordered the parts today. My van has less than 12,000 miles on it, so it will be interesting to see how big of a difference it makes on an almost new front end.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiesel View Post
I ordered the parts today. My van has less than 12,000 miles on it, so it will be interesting to see how big of a difference it makes on an almost new front end.
Your van will be the perfect candidate to evaluate this upgrade------no existing possible steering issues from worn parts from the beginning. I'll be looking forward to your report Van!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Senior User

My 2005 E350 v10 15 passenger van only had 37k miles on it and it responded very well to the stabilizer, I keep my front end greased with Mobil 1 grease and the van wasn't misbehaving before, just better, more planted and tracks better now
AE
Old 02-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Senior User

I had a thought today that 2007 and up vans have the stability anti-rollover mechanism and may not respond to the steering stabilizer, because the steering is already heavily dampened.

Andrew
Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Here's more info and part numbers..........repeating some.......

F2UZ-3E652A Bracket $53.90 (OEM List Price)
F2UZ-3E652B Bracket $80.22
F7UZ-3E651AB Damper $60.62 (NAPA Monroe # SC2955 #35.59)
F2UZ-3W652A U Bolts $15.00 (2 req'd @ $15.00 ea)
I ordered the part numbers provided by JWA and received them today. I didn't order the U-bolts per Andrew's recommendation. He's right, the U-bolts come with the bracket. Probably won't have time to install them until Friday.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior User

redtanrt10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Van,
Best wishes on the install, thanks for posting the pictures. I got the Monroe stablizer last week (Amazon, $31.50 shipped) and should have the brackets tomorrow (I ordered an interior panel too so shipping is taking longer). Hoping that I can get my neighbor to help me and do this tomorrow. I know I need some bolts, but fortunatley I have a big Ford dealer 3 miles away if I need theirs.

Andrew,

In looking at your pictures (thanks!) seems like you position the drag-link bracket as far towards the drivers side as you can extend the shock-stablizer?

thanks!!

Mike
Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Senior User

redtanrt10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
With the help of neighbor I got everything done today. Took about an 1 1/2 hours at a casual pace. I bought the OEM brackets for about $100 shipped and $31.50 shipped from Amazon for the Monroe stablizer. I went to my local ACE hardware store and bought about $6.50 worth of nuts, bolts and washers.

Some installation notes;

- The Bracket Bolts need to be 5/16 to get through the frame holes. As you can see from Andrew's pictures, get a combination bolt with a lock washer, 1/2" worked great. A nylock won't work as you can't turn the bolt head. Also, the bracket has 3 bolt holes, even though there is one underneath, you don't use it. I went to the Ford dealer and verified only the 2 side bolts are needed for the bracket. Also, it's a little hard to get the bolts through the oblong hole. The head of my magnetic telescopeing tool was too large , so we used a 1/2" drive with duck tape. Have your helper hold the bolt in the hole and put the bracket and bolt on it, then do the other. This is the most time consuming of the project.

- Attach the stablizer to the frame bracket with a 3/4" bolt, regular washer and a nylock nut (see picture). Back side has tight clearance so you need a box wrench.

- Drag link bracket, as mentioned it comes with 2 "U" bolts with 1/2" nuts. We used the same washer and nylock combination as with the frame bracket to stablizer. I wasn't sure where to place the drag link bracket. I called the Monroe tech line, they told me to; turn the wheel all the way to the right, with the rod out about 1/2". At this point medium tighten the drag link bracket. Have your helper then turn the wheel all the way to the left to ensure the stabilzer cylinder has enought travel. Go back and forth a couple of times, when all is good, do the final tightening.

I went for a quick ride after we were done, 1/2 at 50 mph and 1/2 at 20 or less. I definitely noticed a firmer, heavier, weighted steering, particularily taking a 90 degree turn at a stop light and when in a curve at 50. Very good feeling! Going straight less wander and less slop. Looking forward to getting on the highway. With only a few miles I can tell you it's still not car like but it made a great improvement!

Andrew, thanks so much for the this idea and all the information your provided in this thread!!! Mike

Mike
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Freshman User

I installed mine today after work as well, and the difference is remarkable. I had no real issues with my steering prior to the install, so I wasn't expecting much, but I am very pleasantly surprised. I drove about 10 miles on the highway - zero wander. I then did another 10 miles on twisting roads and the steering is definitely more precise. I didn't notice any increased weight in the steering.

Regarding the right hand bracket that mounts to the frame. The Ford service manual shows 3 bolts attaching this part (the 2 on the side and 1 on the bottom). The service manual does not show any nuts on these bolts.

After getting the 5/16 bolts through the oblong hole and out of the other side, I found that I could not get a socket through the oblong hole to hold the bolt while I tightened the nuts. I removed the 5/16 bolts and used what appeared to be 3/8 bolts I had lying around. I threaded them directly into the frame (no nuts on the backside) and was able to tighten them down with as much force as could muster. Even though everything feels rock solid, I'm not sure I trust this setup and bought allen head bolts, which I'll install tomorrow.

I picked the location of the drag link bracket by first fully extending the damper (before installation) and marking the mid point on the shaft. I installed the bracket such that the damper body is at the midpoint with the wheels pointed straight ahead. I'm getting full steering travel lock-to-lock, so this method appears to work.

Finally, I had to trim a splash guard that was interfering with the frame bracket.

All in all, an easy upgrade that is worth every penny. I can't believe Ford doesn't install these on all E-series van as original equipment.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Senior User

Glad you like the stabilizer. I put the bolts in and used a 1/2 inch wrench on its open end on the bolt to get it tight. My son operated the ratchet on the other end. Putting the open end straight in through the oblong hole. Its not a perfect tool but it held it well enough to get it tight with nylock nuts.
I believe the bottom bolt is probably the most important bolt, there is quite a lot of pressure on that bracket at times and I won't risk using just two bolts, too much chance of flexing and fatigue ultimately.
The ambulance has the threads in the chassis if I remember rightly so Ford doesn't offer the nuts.
Another thing I have done is put a longer than needed bolt in through the chassis, put the bracket on, put a regular nut on it and spin it down, then use a deep socket and tighten it up, then put a locking nut on after to be the locker. You can hold the bolt by the extra portion sticking out with a pair of pliers if you like. I have done three vans now and tried different things on each one. I believe a small socket set with 1/2 inch and a small breaker bar would go in that hole even to the bottom bolt for holding the head.
Andrew.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Senior User

For those of you with E150's I found the stabilizer made a great difference.
The other one biggest factor is front tire pressure. I always kept mine at 42 psi cold with Michelin LTX on 15 inch stock rims.
At 42 the van moved around a lot more, even with the stabilizer it felt lighter.
At 37 psi its another vehicle to me. Very planted. I hate to bite into fuel mileage but I am not sure yet how much it is hurting it, but there is a huge difference in the front end. I am experimenting with 1 lb increases to see where my favorite drivability is at this time. Try it and see.
Andrew.
I drive a lot so I am picky about how my vehicle drives so this is getting down to details, but does affect the joy of waltzing with the fat lady (van)
Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Freshman User

timr21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Van Diesel,

I'm curious about your results with the stabilizer. I have a 2011 E-350 that's less than a month old. I've got just over 1000 miles on it and the steering seems WONDERFUL. Keep in mind that I've just upgraded from a '95 E-350 that wandered all over the highway and was really a handful. Can you elaborate on your results on your late model van? I'm just trying to decide if I'm reall missing anything, or the newer van is great the way it is. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Freshman User

Van Diesel,

I'm curious about your results with the stabilizer. I have a 2011 E-350 that's less than a month old. I've got just over 1000 miles on it and the steering seems WONDERFUL. Keep in mind that I've just upgraded from a '95 E-350 that wandered all over the highway and was really a handful. Can you elaborate on your results on your late model van? I'm just trying to decide if I'm reall missing anything, or the newer van is great the way it is. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Freshman User

Sorry for the double!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr21 View Post
Van Diesel,

My van is a '98, it just has very low miles on it. It pretty much sat unused in some guy's driveway for 10 years until his wife made him get rid of it. The airbox was completely packed with acorns - I guess even the squirrels assumed it was a stationary object.

I was actually thinking about test driving a new van this weekend to see how it compares to an older, low-mileage van like mine. Ford supposedly made some suspension improvements in the most recent redesign and I'm curious to see how much better the new ones are.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM