6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2010 King Ranch 6,400 mi found on road dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Just an FYI in my opinion on the new 6.7. They seem to me to be having tranmission querks. Enough that I would not be in a rush to buy one.

Turbo noises as well.

Just my thoughts on that matter.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by ETKMS
Trust me, you will have issues, it never seems to be put back right. it will be fine, but i gaurantee you will have to go back 1, 2 or 3 times to have them fix something after the cab is off. Look at my thread, my cab was just off last week, and I tomorrow will be my 3rd time back since i got it back to fix stuff that was not done right or new leaks they caused...
I'm sorry to hear about how this is going for you, but be assured this is NOT a common thing.

If the tech knows what he or she is doing and takes their time to do a good job there should be no re-assembly issues from this at all. My '08 6.4L truck had the entire engine replaced, and I never had one single issue from the repair. The tech took his time and did it right.

There are lots of folks who come here to FTE because of a problem. Lots of them have cab-off repairs. Very few of them have issues after that. Sounds to me like your tech got in too much of a hurry...

Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I'm sorry to hear about how this is going for you, but be assured this is NOT a common thing.

If the tech knows what he or she is doing and takes their time to do a good job there should be no re-assembly issues from this at all. My '08 6.4L truck had the entire engine replaced, and I never had one single issue from the repair. The tech took his time and did it right.

There are lots of folks who come here to FTE because of a problem. Lots of them have cab-off repairs. Very few of them have issues after that. Sounds to me like your tech got in too much of a hurry...
He had it for 2 weeks! i doubt it was a hurry! LOL

Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001

Holy crap, why did you have to have the entire engine replaced?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 AM
99 f150
Junior User
Originally Posted by GreyRanch
I'm sorry guys but this is ridiculous. You are rattling off a whole list of things that go wrong every 10 or 20k mi and this is a great motor??? When I spend 60K plus on a diesel rig I expect no problems for at least over 100K mi. If you think that is a good motor we must have different standards.

Changing out three radiators is unsat. That equals piece of crap.....Breaking down in the middle of the freeway with less than 6,500mi and all maintenance done by Ford according to the service manual equals lemon

Put it this way this motor doesn't exactly have a good track record, it isn't exactly a Cummins 5.9l, If I could do it over I would have never bought this truck. Sorry to pee on the Ford parade, but this is just my experience/opinion. I think the only thing I like about this truck is the King Ranch leather.....

Grey
Well if you ran out of gas or got close to it it probably couldnt keep the pressure up in the fuel rails causing major issues. buddy did this in a duramax, had to go through and bleed all the lines before even thinking about starting it, running low on fuel in a diesel is very very very bad, I cant believe you let it get that low. Then tried starting it when only adding fuel, if you ask me thats your problem.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM
99 f150
Junior User
Well The dealership just called me and said it is a high pressure fuel fault showing. They are going to take some fuel samples for Ford, which I am sure is to try to [Removed by Max] me out of a warranty by saying I put bad fuel in it. Other than that they had no information. Other than it may be "Very involved"....They also said they are going to check for metal contaminents.

I have no truck, I am supposed to go to the dunes for President's Day, and now I'm pretty sure none of that is going to happen. I have been waiting all damm year to go to the dunes and ~poof~ gone.......

yup i would say running low would do that, i didnt read all 8 pages maybe I m wrong

Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
Got the truck back today, ran fine for about thirty minutes then when you let off the accelerator you hear a droning whistle type whine sound. I noticed it at about 2k RPM, What a nightmare........probably won't be seeing any dune action at this rate.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Got the truck back today, ran fine for about thirty minutes then when you let off the accelerator you hear a droning whistle type whine sound. I noticed it at about 2k RPM, What a nightmare........probably won't be seeing any dune action at this rate.

Wow. Wish I knew something to say. I'm sorry to hear that. If it runs Ok and just makes the noise I think I'd just do what I was gonna and let Ford worry about the noise when I got back. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn dude, that sucks.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, in my line of work, doing home renos, when something goes wrong customers start looking extra hard for things. Had one customer literally get down on his hands and knees with a flashlight going over his hardwood floor because of where his skylight shone on the floor he found some specs of dust and some hair. Sometimes you start looking and listening too hard and think you've found something new, but it could also just be from not having driven your truck in almost 2 weeks that now you notice things you think are new?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
I would have bet any amount of money you would have an issue after the cab off....

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Holy crap, why did you have to have the entire engine replaced?
Sorry I missed this until today...

This actually happened right before I bought the truck. I bought it in April 2009 brand-new. It was a Job 3 truck that had been sitting on the lot for a long time. It sat at it's original dealer for 8 months before being dealer-traded to my current dealer.

When they drove it in the engine wasn't running right; supposedly there was a popping sound coming from the engine. So they looked at it and determined that there was a stuck valve. This happened becuase of corrosion brought on by sitting for too long without being started. The oil drained out of the top of the engine and the valvetrain started corroding which caused the sticking valve.

So it had it's heart transplant with 180 miles on the odometer while it was still owned by the dealer. They then sold it to me without telling me, and subsequntly had to deal with my ire after finding out.

I brought it up because this was an example where nearly everything that can be removed from these trucks was and then put back together. The truck started, ran, and drove just like any other brand new truck with no issues from the procedure.

I spoke with the tech that did the transplant, and he told me he took his time with the job and spent over 2 days on it.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
GreyRanch
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
You know, in my line of work, doing home renos, when something goes wrong customers start looking extra hard for things. Had one customer literally get down on his hands and knees with a flashlight going over his hardwood floor because of where his skylight shone on the floor he found some specs of dust and some hair. Sometimes you start looking and listening too hard and think you've found something new, but it could also just be from not having driven your truck in almost 2 weeks that now you notice things you think are new?
I get it, you love your Navistar motor......Trust me when I say, the last thing I wanted to happen is to have to take this truck back to the dealer for more work. I know what the truck sounded like brand new and I know what a whistle form some type of leak after boost sounds like. It's not in my head.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Between the downpipe and turbo theres a stainless steel gasket. If the exhaust isn't "unloaded" this gasket can make this noise. Simple fix, and easy to get installed incorrectly (especially if the tech is rushed).