1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Keyswitch "handle"

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 AM
Dr.Overkill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyswitch "handle"

My RV is based on a '93 E-350. When I bought it, the hazard flashers didn't work. After ruling out the relay, I set out to remove the mutlifunction switch from the steering column.

The wonderful engineers at Ford made the plastic column covers such that you have to to first remove the keyswitch "wing" (grip...whatever it's called) before you can remove the cover. The hole in the cover is too small to fit over the wing.

Without knowing how else to remove that wing, I took a couple screwdrivers, one on either side, and pried it off. No problem. But after I put everything back together, the wing was now *really* sloppy. It wouldn't just fall off, but I do have to be careful to press in on it while turning the ignition switch, so it does not get crooked and pop off from the torque.

I discovered that the inner sleeve on the wing is cracked:

It's actually cracked to the left side of the gap (which is there the little mechanism for the buzzer switch goes) too. You can kind of make it out in the picture.

Cheap pot metal.

So I have 3 questions:

1) Is there a proper tool or technique to remove this wing piece without damaging it, and if so, what is/are they?

2) Do you think I hosed anything inside the switch assembly, in addition to this wing part?

3) Why didn't Ford make the hole in the column cover bigger, or make the cover split at the ignition switch so that you could remove them without this hassle?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Not sure what you did but here's something..........

The ignition lock is indeed too large in diameter for the upper column shroud to simply pull off without first removing the ignition key lock cylinder first. There is a small hole on the underside of the column shroud (smaller than the three visible screw holes) into which you insert a suitable size and length probe that will release the lock cylinder and allow its proper removal.

If I read your post correctly you've damaged the lock cylinder requiring its replacement now. Purchase one from Ford and have a competent lock shop key it to your existing keys.

Until you get the new lock cylinder fitted its tough to know what else is screwed up inside the column. I have to guess it wasn't successfully removed as you describe without some damage to the column housing itself. Yes this is "cheap pot metal" but then again the engineers didn't assume it had to withstand such brutal treatment!!

Best of luck!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Dr.Overkill
New User
Thanks, I had no idea there was a release mechanism for the ignition switch. Doh!

It wasn't brutal, really. I just pried the handle out and it popped right off. But it obviously was a one-way installation...

As far as I can tell, the only part that is damaged is this handle. The switch itself still works fine, but the handle is wobbly in it, so I just have to keep firm pressure on it whenever I use it. Not the biggest problem except for when I recently had the RV in for a roof service and the goons that worked there ignored my notes about it, and I found it disassembled when I picked it up, and the little key buzzer mechanism missing (luckily I found it on the floorboard).

I'm sure the stealership will fetch a premium on a new switch. Any chance there's a decent aftermarket manufacturer for it?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Might check with the stealership first for a price----not sure if anyone in the aftermarket is making a good part at an affordable price. Could also be the columns changed beginning in '97 but don't know for sure.

My '00 key-in buzzer warning wasn't working and I narrowed it down to the ignition key lock-----replaced it and all is fine now. My cost before the locksmith was about $90 from Ed The Parts Guy here. Some things I won't skimp on are parts like this---mostly once-a-lifetime need so its okay to get the best.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Dr.Overkill
New User
Good point. Last thing you want to go cheap on is the only way to start (or stop!) your engine...or the part that can lock out your steering!

Hey, I've seen mention of this Ed in a few places....since I'm new here, can you point me to where I can find his contact info? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
In a former life, I was very acquainted with ignition locks (don't ask, the records were expunged once I turned 18 ). Once you pop that little piece off, there's no putting it back on. Ya need a new ignition lock.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Dr.Overkill
New User
heh

Well, I can put it on and it does work and stays on so long as you don't tug on it or twist it unevenly. But it's just really sloppy and I don't trust it to work forever like that. And I worry when I have to let others drive it, like when it was at the RV service recently.

So I guess a new ignition switch is in my future! What's killing me is I was so pleased with myself for saving a couple hundred bones on a new multifunction switch (I was able to disassemble it and clean up a lot of corroded contacts and, more importantly, reassemble the bugger). Now I have to pony up a Benjamin or more on the ignition switch, because I went into the job blindly. Live and learn...

Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 AM
denniskenyon
New User
replace

you can find a used stearing colmn for about 50-75 easy fix easy replace most junk yards have a 93 ford took me 45 min to replace mine

Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 AM
Dr.Overkill
New User
Good idea. Hmm, if the ignition switch assy is as easy to remove as JWA indicated, then maybe I should check the boneyards for just the switch. No need for a complete column.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Well Dr the cylinder lock is easily replaceable IF you remove it properly FIRST! All this prying and what not you've done MIGHT have damaged the housing into which the cylinder fits----if this is the case there's no repairing the casting which makes up much of the column.

Without photos of it all including the complete cylinder and its recess in the column tough to do more than speculate.

Sadly you might have done some damage that will require a new column.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was able to purchase a kit for my 93 F150 that incuded the Ingnition key lock and two new door locks that way I didnt have two different keys. My original wore out I could start the truck without a key. I ordered it from the stealership and if I remember correctly was less than $50

Hope this helps

Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Rico47635
Elder User
If the RV has an airbag, which I am sure it does, I don't recommend replacing the lock yourself. They are very sensitive and can go off if mishandled. In fact, they give the folks at the manufacturing plants specific training on how to handle them. It will cost you a little bit, but leave the job to a professional.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by gasman6674
I was able to purchase a kit for my 93 F150 that incuded the Ingnition key lock and two new door locks that way I didnt have two different keys. My original wore out I could start the truck without a key. I ordered it from the stealership and if I remember correctly was less than $50

Hope this helps
Wondering how long ago you did this? Last time I bought replacement door locks they were like $75 each PLUS cost of a qualified locksmith assembling and keying them alike. My ignition lock cylinder was $90 plus another $25 for keying. I might have to switch to your dealership I'm thinking!

I do remember buying one door lock kit for $50 approx but that was like 5 years ago?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Approx 8-9 years ago.

I may be off a little as memory is not perfect but it wasnt a lot of money and it was the perfect solution to the problem of the time.

regards

Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Dr.Overkill
New User
If I disconnect the battery, it should disable the airbag, right?

Quick Reply: Keyswitch "handle"