Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Senior User

gregstith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gregstith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
49 truck with 4.6 modular motor-IT'S ALIVE!!!

I got my 49 started today. It has a 4.6 modular from a '94 Mark VIII. I did a mad scientist job on the wiring just to see if I understood it all. After a lot of studying the wiring diagrams it finally started making sense. I'm really stoked, this thing starts and sounds great. I don't know if I'm going to run all the wires correctly now and drive it a little or go ahead and pull everything out and start building the truck. Here's how it sounds.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Elder User

mytbtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad to hear you got you 4.6 running. I have been driving mine for about a year and really love it. I did take another route on the wiring. I bought a wiring harness with all the wiring going to a box that connects to the computer.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Senior User

gregstith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.gregstith is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks. I didn't know what to expect when I first started this wiring project, but after sitting down tracing the wires and labeling things it wasn't bad at all. I'm trying to keep the cost down on things I can control. I do bodywork as well so I should be able to paint it for a reasonable price, but wheels and tires alone can really add up if you go for customs. I also need the grille, radiator, linear actuator for the tilt front end, etc. I don't know about runnning bumpers or not but still lot's of money to spend.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Thats excellent news! Congrats!!!

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Posting Guru

carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice! I can't wait until I get mine wired enough to start it!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Posting Guru

theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Greg; That sounds great, very inspirational! I'm a ways behind you and toying with wiring it my self.
good luck.
Wally

For Ford the third time was the charm
Third generation Ford truck 57-60
1959 F250 4x4
Wally
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Junior User

riddinlow99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
were did you guys find a harness diagram for the 4.6 I just grabbed up a 94 crown vic to swap the whole drive terrain into including front suspension into my 60 F100 the car is fully running and driving now. any sugestions or referenses to check out
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
New User

54FordPanel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds great!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Senior User

Thanks everyone, it was definitely a good feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddinlow99 View Post
were did you guys find a harness diagram for the 4.6 I just grabbed up a 94 crown vic to swap the whole drive terrain into including front suspension into my 60 F100 the car is fully running and driving now. any sugestions or referenses to check out
I have a 4.6 DOHC engine whereas the crown vic's have a 4.6 SOHC engine. I'm not sure about all the differences, but I got a wiring manual online. It folds out and you can trace the wiring throughout the complete circuit. Really makes it a lot simpler.

Here's a good deal on one for you on ebay.
1994 Ford Crown Victoria Grand Marquis wiring diagrams - eBay (item 310288285710 end time Feb-13-11 23:09:40 PST)
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.
COOL! Congrats on getting the wiring sorted out. I'm still in the dark ages with a carburetor fed engine...

1949 F-1
Old 02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior User

SCD is starting off with a positive reputation.
gregstith
Any chance that you would share what you did to the wiring harness to make it work? I am thinking about using the same drive train in my 56.
Thanks
Scott
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Senior User

I would definitely be willing to help. That's what this community is for. You really need the wiring diagram to start with. I really found the large fold out one very helpful. 1994 Ford Mark VIII Wiring Diagrams Manual - eBay (item 160529821329 end time Feb-08-11 07:49:41 PST)

Then look at the pcm/eec on the diagram and start taking notes on what all needs to be hooked up. I did away with the VariableControlRelayModule(VCRM) also known as ConstantControlRelayModule(CCRM) and maybe known by other names. It contains relays that control the electric fan, fuel pump,A/C/KEY ON power to PCM and others.

I'll be using a thermostat control for my fan. A/C is on down the road. I wired the fuel pump with seperate relay.

I know you will have very specific questions so feel free to ask away.

When I get around to cleaning up the wiring for good I'll make up a diagram that shows the completed wiring.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Senior User

I'm finally at a point where I'm able to work on my toy for a while and not other peoples. Here's some progress the last couple weeks.

I was in the process of getting the wiring cleaned up so I could maybe drive it a little but I needed to cut a hole in the firewall for the electrical bulkheads......but I wasn't planning on keeping the original firewall so I removed the cab to work on the firewall.......... and one thing has led to another so now I'm into it deep.

Used an engine hoist to remove the cab, it's now on jackstands.

Click the image to open in full size.

I replaced with a little thicker sheet metal.

I could have put the cab back on the frame at this point and continued with the wiring but I was really interested to see what kind of shape the cab was in under the paint/primer.

There was a little rot on the bottom of the door, nothing major. Previous owner welded mirror holes and did a bad job. I'll probably cut and patch.

The back of the cab wasn't great. The guy filled the panel ribs completely with filler. There's also really thin/rusted metal. I'm gonna replace section with the ribs with smooth sheetmetal.

Other than some minor rust on the bottom the passenger door is in good shape. Cab corners both need replacing. Roof has several dings. The windshield channel needs a lot of patching, it's very rusty. I think overall it's in good shape for 60+ year old truck.

Since the plan is to have A/C I'm closing the vent.

The fun on the cab corner begins. P/o filled the rust holes with a bunch of kitty hair.

I coated with SPI epoxy.

I then bent a lip on the bottom metal.

I'm not experienced at metal shaping so I did this in two pieces.

And that's where I'm currently at. I'm probably going to replace the back panel on the cab next.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Freshman User

flynbya2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow!
I sure wish I had skillz like that. Nice job....
Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Posting Guru

iwanaflattie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talk about body work skills!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 AM