Print Wikipost

Rear window washer fluid fill?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Bigfoot46555
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear window washer fluid fill?

I've honestly looked thru my owner's manual several times.

Why is it I see that I have a rear window spray nozzle, but I don't see anywhere in back to fill up for using it? Is it supposed to flow all the way from the front to the back to work? If so, does ANYONE'S actually work?

Especially with winter here, I've kept my washer fluid reservior filled as much as possible, but in the 2 years I've owned it, I've never gotten anything out of my rear sprayer.

???

Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigfoot46555
Is it supposed to flow all the way from the front to the back to work?
Yep!

If so, does ANYONE'S actually work?
Mine does.

I've never gotten anything out of my rear sprayer.
It's a PITA, but you could trace the rear supply line checking for a break in the line.

Stewart

Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 PM
dent wiz eric
Freshman User
mine works on my 05, but ive never filled a seperate tank. Im assuming it draws from the tank under the hood.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a single reservoir system. It only has one pump. The pump reverses direction depening on the signal. One signal comes off a relay positive the other negative. The line for the back runs in through the fire wall by the passenger kick panel. (by the passengers right foot) There is a splice there. it then routes through the kick plates ( the plastic strips you step on when you get in)

I would find the splice I mentioned above, pull it apart and operate the rear washer. If fluid is coming out there, work your way back. Or you may want to pull the hose off at the rear wiper and see what you get. The orafice may be clogged.

Mine has always worked - with the exception of that splice coming apart.

I think the only other splice that gives issues is inside the hatch.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 PM
9mpg
Senior User
i had a 1995 ford explorer with the tank in the rear... if you opened the hatch, the fill was above the tail light. Now I have a 2004 Excursion and the rear washer does not work... thanks for the helpful info!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What RickX said ....

works fine on mine and use rain-x in the bottle to keep the wipers sliding ez !

Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
The next most common connection failure is at the rear hatch inside the headliner but before the rear courtesy light. Search the forums here for instructions on how to get to it (5 minute fix) That is where my line failure was.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 PM
CaliBoi
New User
Hi I just came across this thread and if you're still having the issue I wanted to add my input. I know its an old thread. Sorry to bother.

I had the same issue with mine (02 Explorer) cause my back window would get so dirty and washer fluid never dispensed back there. I cant imagine it'd be much different on the excursion since all that area looks similar to my 98 Expedition too. Then I finally went after it one day and started tracing the rear wash line right into the interior of the passenger wheel well. Had it all torn out trying to find the line.

Don't sweat, it turns out that right behind the coolant reservoir fill cap under the hood there's something like a black box, maybe a vent or fuse box? Well right underneath the box at hands reach was a rubber connector linking the one hose to another. Like to extend it. It was disconnected and I just plugged it back into the splitter now it works great everytime. Just don't know how it came off. I wouldn't mess with the wheel well though it was such a pain and I wasn't able to get back on the way it was. I have somewhat loose rocker panel corner now. Hope this helps!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliBoi
Hi I just came across this thread and if you're still having the issue I wanted to add my input. I know its an old thread. Sorry to bother.
No bother at all. It doesn't matter if this thread is a year old or ten years old, you added to the thread by relating your own experience, adding to the knowledge base, hopefully helping someone in the future who might find this thread through the search option.

Reps to ya.

Stewart

Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Johnny_Blaze
Junior User
Another thing to consider is the actual nozzle head. I took a pin and cleaned the nozzle tip to have a better spray pattern. Mine wasn't clogged 100%, but I wasn't able to get the spray to fully cover the back window.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM
CaliBoi
New User
Yeah that's another thing that's worked for me in the past. Cleaning the nozzles with a pin then removing them and blowing through the nozzles backwards.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 PM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
What RickX said ....

works fine on mine and use rain-x in the bottle to keep the wipers sliding ez !
I use Rain-X all the time but never thought of putting it in the washer fluid. How much do you put in?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 PM
CaliBoi
New User
RainX is the best. I bought a bottle of the rainx conditioner that you add to the washer fluid. I added probably a 3rd of the bottle to a full reservoir and it works perfect it seems like is saves the wiper blades too cause it runs smoother on the glass.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM
josh1095
Junior User
thought id bump this one a lil. was just repairing my rear wiper motor and found that the washer didnt work. so i held it down for about 3 seconds.... bad idea lol. the line was broke in the rear above the rear lights. it started raining in my truck. i would have to remove headliner to fix it, so thats not gonna happen.
rear wiper DOES work now tho lol

Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
tylerhughes
Freshman User
Originally Posted by josh1095
thought id bump this one a lil. was just repairing my rear wiper motor and found that the washer didnt work. so i held it down for about 3 seconds.... bad idea lol. the line was broke in the rear above the rear lights. it started raining in my truck. i would have to remove headliner to fix it, so thats not gonna happen.
rear wiper DOES work now tho lol
same thing happened with mine, the line actually just came apart, not broke anywhere. but yeah, the orange rain in the cargo area, not fun haha

Quick Reply: Rear window washer fluid fill?